Re: Make Shift Turn Off Caps Lock

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2003
      This is interesting Jim.. And as I was reading it and thinking about
      manipulating the registry, I sat here absently tapping on the SHIFT
      key.. And after 5 taps, all of a sudden a never seen before message
      box popped up in front of me titled "StickyKeys".. I use Windows XP
      Pro and have no idea if StickyKeys came with Windows or is something
      my computer manufacturer provided. What I do know is it allowed me
      to set some options for my CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, and SCROLL LOCK
      keys. Which I did and now any time I hit one of those keys I'll hear
      a sound alerting me that the key has been pressed..

      Talk about a coincidence! What are the odds of me accidentally
      activating a feature like StickyKeys while reading another message
      concerning CAPS LOCK????

      John

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hall <jehall@j...> wrote:
      > i CANT TELL YOU HOW MANY TIMES THIS HAPPENS TO ME.
      >
      > Now maybe I won't have to backspace and retype things (as often
      <G>) when I switch from my ALL CAPS work to email.

      > FYI
      >
      > Make Shift Turn Off Caps Lock
      > By Neil J. Rubenking
      > September 2, 2003
      >
      > I find it a lot more convenient to have the Shift key release the
      Caps Lock function, as typewriters do. Windows 2000 offers this
      option during installation, but most people never notice it. With
      Windows XP, the feature is available from the Control Panel, but only
      when you install another keyboard layout during installation. I have
      tracked down a way to control this setting after the fact by
      manipulating the Registry.
      > In the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Keyboard Layout, create a
      DWORD value named Attributes, if it isn't already present. Double-
      click on it, then choose Hexadecimal, and set its value to 00010000.
      Now, when you press and release the Shift key while the Caps Lock is
      active, Caps Lock will turn off.
      > Bill Ruggirello
      > This tip applies to both Windows 2000 and XP. But it won't take
      effect until you restart the computer. After you make this change,
      the Caps Lock key always turns Caps Lock on; you can no longer use it
      to turn Caps Lock off. You must turn Caps Lock off by tapping either
      Shift key. This tip reduces the chances of looking up at your screen
      only to find that you've typed a whole paragraph in uppercase.