Re: [NTO] What's available in Start > Run

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 18, 2003
      Jason, Julie, Harvey, Larry,

      Thanks for all the relevant info. I've bookmarked the sites you mentioned.

      Ray Shapp
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 19, 2003
        At 08:08 PM 8/18/2003 -0500, Julie wrote:

        > >>WINIPCFG User Port Configuration Information (Note: Run after you're
        > >>online) - not XP Home

        FWIW
        IPCONFIG does the same thing in XP.

        Jim
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 19, 2003
          At 8/19/2003 06:17 AM -0700 Tuesday, Jim Hall wrote:

          >FWIW
          >IPCONFIG does the same thing in XP.

          Actually it was Larry who compiled that original list. I just chopped too
          much out of my reply :-).

          Julie
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 19, 2003
            hsavage wrote:

            >Julie wrote:
            >
            > > I still use
            > > CMD
            > > occasionally to get to a command line quickly :-)
            > >

            > >WINDIFF Utility Lets You Compare Files-Folders & How They Differ.
            > >>Tutorial - not XP Home
            > >>WINIPCFG User Port Configuration Information (Note: Run after you're
            > >>online) - not XP Home
            > >>wordpad Opens Wordpad
            > >>WRITE Wordpad
            >
            >Julie,
            >
            >I have used CMD occasionally but XP provided a Dos Window desktop icon,
            >which I moved to the Quicklaunch bar and being a little lazy, I use that
            >most of the time.

            My new Gateway, for some odd reason, came with one icon - the Recycle Bin
            in the lower right hand corner of the screen. I had to add all the rest
            myself!

            >In case someone didn't notice, the list in your email is for Win98. I
            >you're running XP some of them won't work. For instance, Windiff won't
            >work on my machine, Write and Wordpad do. That shouldn't create a
            >problem, you just get a Windows error dialog and a beep.

            I realized when I searched and found webpages with the various programs
            that they were for different versions of Windows. It looks like the list
            that Larry compiled indicated which did not work in XP Home. Also
            interesting that Win 3.1 Program Manager is still around!

            Julie
          • Manuel123
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 19, 2003
              Rea IP

              Sometines I need the real IP of the people in his machine, but I have
              a asp that give me your ip,
              http://www.solotxt.com/solotxt/util/dimeip.asp
              but sometimes it's different.

              The code of the asp is the next:

              <%
              Dim ip

              ip=request.servervariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

              Response.Write "<center><H1>Tu ip es:<br> " & ip & "</h1><p><a
              href='../index.asp'><font size=2>Volver menu

              %>

              ----
              How do you know your real IP
              ---
              Cursos para ciegos. http://www.solotxt.com
              Windows,Iexplorer,Outlook,Html,Word,Excel,Access
              ---
              Caso de devolución repetidas de respuestas enviar un mensaje de aviso a <incidencias@...>
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 19, 2003
                Thanks, Jim.

                Too many irons in the fire right now.

                I know that, but as I said, I will post a more comprehensive list later. ;-)

                Larry

                Jim Hall wrote:

                > FWIW
                > IPCONFIG does the same thing in XP.
                >
                > Jim
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 19, 2003
                  Manuel,

                  At 03:59 PM 8/19/2003 +0200, you wrote:
                  >---
                  >How do you know your real IP
                  >---

                  That depends on your ISP.

                  Usually if you use Dial Up, your assigned IP Address is different every time you log on.

                  If you use DSL or Cable, you usually have a "Static" IP which is always the same.

                  At any point in time, you can find out what your current IP Address is by going to

                  START>RUN> and entering IPCONFIG

                  There are other ways to get there but this is the most direct.

                  You will have to have the other person whose IP address you desire do the above and tell you what their current IP address is.

                  If you want to find the IP Address for a Domain (or visa versa) there are several sites that offer tools to do that.

                  Below are some that work.

                  http://www.eye-net.com.au/itools/

                  http://www.his.com/cgi-bin/nslookup

                  http://www-pablo.cs.uiuc.edu/Project/VR/globe.htm (also shows global position)