Add Win98 to XP Pro Drive

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2003
      Hi All,

      Can I add Win98SE to an existing XP Pro install? If so, what is
      the short of it? I have the room to split a partition to make
      another drive. Will I get the bootup question with default like
      I do on my machine that I added XP to and existing Win98 install?

      I'm only going through this because I'm too cheap or broke to buy
      XP software for my HP CD Writer Plus 9200i. I need the software
      to be able to have projects, favorites, or whatever you want to
      call them - remembered. I currently have my CD Writer on my
      other machine (my wife's eBay and kids games, etc.). I'd like
      it on this machine.

      All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
        Jody,

        At 08:31 PM 8/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >Can I add Win98SE to an existing XP Pro install?

        Nope, It will tell you that you have a newer version installed and exit.

        You can only add a newer version to an older version.

        >I have the room to split a partition to make
        >another drive.

        You can install 98 on a logical drive but you will have to change your CMOS setting to boot up on that drive and be very careful to insure that you are really on the right drive.

        It would be better/safer if you could put 98 on a totally separate drive since you already have XP on that drive

        >Will I get the bootup question with default like
        >I do on my machine that I added XP to and existing Win98 install?

        Probably not since 98 doesn't know it needs to add it.
        You can edit that at CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM>STARTUP AND RECOVERY>SETTINGS or by editing C:\Boot.ini directly

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
          Jody,

          At 08:31 PM 8/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >I'm only going through this because I'm too cheap or broke to buy
          >XP software for my HP CD Writer Plus 9200i. I need the software
          >to be able to have projects, favorites, or whatever you want to
          >call them - remembered. I currently have my CD Writer on my
          >other machine (my wife's eBay and kids games, etc.). I'd like
          >it on this machine.

          Have you considered going here and downloading the "FREE" XP updates (one looooong line for the link)

          http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml;jsessionid=H1WIOODJ4EC0HQEXGRMEOSQ?reg=&cc=&prodId=hpcdwriter18519&lc=en&softitem=Microsoft%20Windows%20XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

          HIH

          Jim
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
            Hi Jim,

            I almost addressed my first post, "Hi Jim," :) Most of us owe
            you lots of money for you consultations, but since we are on a
            public domain list, you get my most sincere gratitude. :) You
            probably thought I must have read something about adding 98 to XP
            else I would not have asked. :) I think it was you over a year
            ago that mentioned it. Thanks.

            Perhaps I'll have my wife buy me a couple dirt cheap hard drives
            off eBay since they need more room on their machine anyway. It's
            a pain cleaning up after them, because they (my 7 year old
            mainly) doesn't realize he cannot just keep popping CDs (games) in
            that my wife gets on eBay for pennies) like they are
            Nentendo/Play Station, etc. cartridges.

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
              Hi Jim,

              Thanks for the link... (Eric has the same HP 9200i writer - he's
              unpacking his office from his recent move to his retirement ;)
              home high in the Swiss Alps - breathtaking scenery with a beautiful
              home! ;)

              I haven't tried HP recently, but downloading now. I know the DLA
              I am not concerned with which lets you write directly to the CD
              like a floppy disk. I'm downloading the RecordNow, but I think
              that is what I tried before and does not contain the
              EasyCDCreator which is what I need. If it still does not have
              it, I'll go for the 15MB Simple Backup to see what it has. I
              can't find any literature about it.

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
                Hi Jim,

                It's all coming back to me now. HP used Adaptec recording
                software when I bought the CD Writer Plus 9200i. Adaptec sold
                out to Roxio and now Roxio wants more than I am willing to pay
                for the software. So, maybe the 15MB Simple Backup will do what I
                want. I suppose I could get by with the Record Now. It does not
                have Favorites/Projects (remembers recordings via a file to save
                to), but it will copy cd to cd. So, I can just make a cd for
                each project since they are cheap since I buy at least 100 at a
                time.

                >I haven't tried HP recently, but downloading now. I know the DLA
                >I am not concerned with which lets you write directly to the CD
                >like a floppy disk. I'm downloading the RecordNow, but I think
                >that is what I tried before and does not contain the
                >EasyCDCreator which is what I need.

                All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
                  Jody wrote:

                  > Hi Jim,
                  >
                  > It's all coming back to me now. HP used Adaptec recording
                  > software when I bought the CD Writer Plus 9200i. Adaptec sold
                  > out to Roxio and now Roxio wants more than I am willing to pay
                  > for the software.
                  >
                  >> I'm downloading the RecordNow, but I think
                  >> that is what I tried before and does not contain the
                  >> EasyCDCreator which is what I need.
                  >
                  > Happy Topics,
                  > Jody

                  Jody,

                  Maybe you've already thought of this but, do you have an old, OEM, copy
                  of Adaptec or Roxio Easy CDCreator around. If so, you can get an OEM
                  update for the Roxio CDCreator from the Roxio site. No cash outlay and
                  works pretty well. Also would have an updated list of drives it would
                  recognize.

                  hrs
                • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
                    Jody,

                    Just wanted to jump in here with a suggestion. Ebay has
                    Roxio Easy CD Creator Basic, Version 6.1.0, for {US} $ 14.95
                    {total} delivered to your door. Site says it is NOT a pirate nor
                    copy, it is OEM. This is a "BUY NOW" price and they had 76
                    copies available.

                    I know you said the purchase price was too high, however, I
                    did not know if it was for the BASIC or the DELUXE {Platinum}
                    version that you were referring to.

                    Just my input for you, that is all.

                    Regards,
                    Christopher J. Spilker
                    mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
                      Hi Christopher, hrs, Jim...

                      I'll be going to do my homework, just posting this so ya'll
                      don't waste your time doing my stuff. ;)

                      I don't mind paying that ($15 or so) at all (even though they are
                      not to be selling it unless it is the Roxio company if it is OEM
                      the way I understand it) Maybe they do it as like a reseller. I
                      did see tons of buy now, etc. so it is most likely on the up and
                      up.

                      In short, I just need it to remember my projects such as ntp.cl3,
                      nts.cl3, ntp-nts.cl3, ntp-nts-abe.cl3, ntp-ade.cl3, ntp-ezi.cl3,
                      the-works.cl3, etc. and name the CD on the drive letter so to
                      speak. It is a lot of work to keep them all up, so image having
                      to make a new one for each CD sale. I'm too cheap/broke to pay
                      almost $100.00 for Roxio's stuff when I can get a new HP CD
                      Writer with decent software for under $200.00. I need to go back
                      to Roxio and see exactly what the Basic does and the cost.

                      hrs, I have my HP Writer Plus 9200i CD that has the Adaptec
                      software (for Win98 and probably earlier - no XP anyway). I
                      assume it would be OEM, but have not found anywhere to get XP
                      drivers for it.

                      > Just wanted to jump in here with a suggestion. Ebay has
                      >Roxio Easy CD Creator Basic, Version 6.1.0, for {US} $ 14.95
                      >{total} delivered to your door. Site says it is NOT a pirate nor
                      >copy, it is OEM. This is a "BUY NOW" price and they had 76
                      >copies available.

                      All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
                    • Peter G Henry
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 8, 2003
                        Hi Jody

                        I have a copy of easy cd creator 5 that I do not use. You are welcome to it.

                        regards Peter
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 9, 2003
                          Hi Peter,

                          >I have a copy of easy cd creator 5 that I do not use. You are
                          >welcome to it.

                          Thanks, but you never sent that used laptop??? <bg> If you are
                          not using Roxio at all anymore, I suppose it would be OK. Does
                          the legal blah, blah, blah permit it? mailto:av1611@...
                          Thanks much for the offer either way!!!

                          Jody Adair
                          P.O. Box 998