Re: [NTO] Mozilla-Firebird - keeping current with nightlies

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
      Alec Burgess wrote:

      > I'm not sure whether the reference to "Mozilla" here was to Mozilla
      1.5(?)
      > or Mozilla-Firebird 0.6
      >
      > If you've installed a bunch of extensions (and made a bunch of parameter
      > selections) what's the easiest way of getting yourself back to the same
      > place?
      >
      > but when I drop a current nightly on top of my current Program
      > Files\Mozilla a lot of customization gets undone.
      >
      > Again, AFAIK all these customizations that aren't being done per
      user, are
      > being recorded in Program Files\Mozilla\Chrome\... various files ... (?)
      >
      > Are there any files from my previous working copy that I can/should drop
      > back into the current ProgFiles\MozFire\Chrome to save time in getting it
      > back in my desired working condition?
      >
      > I know that if I want to report a bug to Bugzilla they want me to do a
      > "vanilla" install to a newly created user,
      >
      > Regards ... Alec

      Alec,

      The reference was Mozilla 1.5. I tried Firebird and as far as I could
      tell it didn't have an email client. The client included with Mozilla
      is the only one I have that isn't MS. I saw little need to have
      Firebird and Mozilla installed.

      Extensions, I'm not sure what those are in the case. Would that be
      additional plugins or different skins.

      If skins, Mozilla can be cleared by deleting the file chrome.rdf in the
      chrome folder and rebooting, Might be possible to copy that file to a
      new location and copy back after a new install.

      Most other customizations are in 'prefs.js', on my machine the path is
      C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
      Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ccj6u4mh.slt\prefs.js

      There may be other files with setting and prefs but I haven't had enough
      trouble to dig into it. The newer Mozilla has an installation option to
      rip out all the extras or leave them in place. The only addition I
      usually make is to add Multizilla. It enhances tabbed browsing.

      hrs
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
        hrs said:

        > The reference was Mozilla 1.5. I tried Firebird and as far as I could
        > tell it didn't have an email client. The client included with Mozilla
        > is the only one I have that isn't MS. I saw little need to have
        > Firebird and Mozilla installed.

        I think the idea is that by splitting Mozilla into separate browser/mail
        client (and maybe composer too - I'm not sure) it will be easier to develop
        and be significantly "lighter" than its older big brother.

        You might want to check out Firebird a little more then - from what I've
        read its where all the future development is going to be. Apparently
        Thunderbird will be the new email client - its fairly new and I haven't
        checked it out yet; but in the last month there seems to have been a lot of
        development in both Firebird and Thunderbird.

        Thunderbird Help if you want to have a look:
        http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/index.html

        >> Mozilla Thunderbird - The New Mail Client from Mozilla

        Mozilla Thunderbird is a free, open-source and cross-platform mail client
        and news reader for most modern operating systems including, but not limited
        to, Windows, Linux and Macintosh. It offers some advantages over other mail
        clients, including junk mail classification. Built from Mozilla code,
        Mozilla Thunderbird uses Gecko, the most standards-compliant rendering
        engine in existence.<<

        > Extensions, I'm not sure what those are in the case. Would that be
        > additional plugins or different skins.

        No, not skins (MF calls them themes but I haven't bothered with them)

        Extensions are like industrial strength Plugins. Some of them you might
        recognize from Mozilla 1.4-1.5. There are now a list of about 90 - the most
        important is Tabbrowser Extensions (probably fairly close to Multizilla I
        think).

        Of the rest, a number are for convenience, and a number seem to me to be
        quite useful if you do any web-development. I'm just a dilettante :-)

        AFAICT - you *do* have to reinstall any that don't provide the option to be
        installed in per user, but the good thing is they only take seconds to
        download and install and most don't have settings dialogues so its not
        really that cumbersome if you keep a list of what ones you're going to lose
        each time you install a new nightly.

        They can all be viewed at: http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html
        Some of them are pretty goofy but a lot look they'll be potentially useful.

        Here's the ones I've just finished downloading (or redownloading) - those
        that don't have an install to user are marked with XXXXXXX

        All-in-One Gestures
        Browser Uptime 1.0
        Checky
        ChromEdit 0.0.4.5
        Compact Menu 1.5.0
        Digger v0.5.0
        Download Statusbar 0.8
        Find in this Selectbox... 1.0
        Google Bar XXXXXXXXX
        GoTo v0.1.0
        JavaScript Console Status 1.0
        Leech XXXXXXXXX
        Link Toolbar [2003-05-04]
        LinkIt 0.0.4
        Linky
        ListToolbars 0.1
        Mouse Gestures XXXXXXXXX
        mozilla google toolbar
        NavButtons
        NeedleSearch toolbar XXXXXXXXX
        Paste and Go 0.1
        Pref Buttons 0.1
        Preferential XXXXXXXXXXX
        QuickPrefs v1.0
        Spade [2003 04 23]
        SpiderZilla XXXXXXXX
        Style Selector 0.2.3
        Tab Downloader 2.01 XXXXXXXXX
        Tabbrowser Extensions XXXXXXX
        Themer
        Things They Left Out [0.1.4]
        Tip of the Day v0.5.0
        trivial v0.0.5.5 [2003 04 16]
        Web Developer 0.1

        Regards ... Alec

        > > I'm not sure whether the reference to "Mozilla" here was to
        > Mozilla
        > 1.5(?)
        > > or Mozilla-Firebird 0.6
        > >
        > > If you've installed a bunch of extensions (and made a bunch of
        > parameter > selections) what's the easiest way of getting yourself
        > back to the same > place?
        > >
        > > but when I drop a current nightly on top of my current Program
        > > Files\Mozilla a lot of customization gets undone.
        > >
        > > Again, AFAIK all these customizations that aren't being done per
        > user, are
        > > being recorded in Program Files\Mozilla\Chrome\... various files
        > ... (?) >
        > > Are there any files from my previous working copy that I
        > can/should drop > back into the current ProgFiles\MozFire\Chrome to
        > save time in getting it > back in my desired working condition?
        > >
        > > I know that if I want to report a bug to Bugzilla they want me to
        > do a > "vanilla" install to a newly created user,
        > >
        > > Regards ... Alec
        >
        > Alec,
        >

        > If skins, Mozilla can be cleared by deleting the file chrome.rdf in
        > the
        > chrome folder and rebooting, Might be possible to copy that file to a
        > new location and copy back after a new install.
        >
        > Most other customizations are in 'prefs.js', on my machine the path is
        > C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
        > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ccj6u4mh.slt\prefs.js
        >
        > There may be other files with setting and prefs but I haven't had
        > enough
        > trouble to dig into it. The newer Mozilla has an installation option
        > rip out all the extras or leave them in place. The only addition I
        > usually make is to add Multizilla. It enhances tabbed browsing.
        >
        > hrs

      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
          Bb> Yep. Thunderbird is the mail client for use with Firebird, since they
          Bb> both run independent and with no "real" registry keys that need to be
          Bb> installed. I use Thunderbird, and there's a few bugs, but the good
          Bb> folks at Mozilla take care of them pretty darn fast.

          Bb> I used to use Foxmail, but I stick with Thunderbird now. I like
          knowing
          Bb> that I can take it from place to place on a USB drive or whatnot, and
          Bb> know that I can read my emails wherever. Try it out! :)

          Brian

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
            Brian:

            I'm currently using OE (through Popfile) and X1-Find for searching email
            archives. The X1-Find program claims to support OE, Outlook, Eudora and
            NetscapeMail formats.

            If you know ... is the format for Thunderbirds mail files "likely" to be
            compatible with Netscape mail? I'd assume they've probably attempted to keep
            backwards compatibility but haven't read much about it at all.

            Again, if you know ... any ideas about the feasibility of converting some
            90,000 messages in approx 300 OE-DBX files/folders from OE-format to
            NetscapeMail format (whatever that is - I guess I'd better make an effort to
            learn)

            btw: I've been flipping back and forth between default browsers of Firebird
            (aka Phoenix), MyIE2 and Sleipnir for about 6 months. The last time I
            ditched Firebird (late 0.5 version) it was primarily because at least for me
            it seemed too resource heavy compared to the two IE-based tabbed browsers.

            I've been back at Firebird know for about a week - this time I think I'll be
            able to stick with it. Especially with some of the web-developement
            extensions installed and in combination with Proxomitron it's been working
            great (and all free :-0 )

            Regards ... Alec

            > Bb> Yep. Thunderbird is the mail client for use with Firebird,
            > since they
            > Bb> both run independent and with no "real" registry keys that need
            > to be
            > Bb> installed. I use Thunderbird, and there's a few bugs, but the
            > good
            > Bb> folks at Mozilla take care of them pretty darn fast.
            >
            > Bb> I used to use Foxmail, but I stick with Thunderbird now. I like
            > knowing
            > Bb> that I can take it from place to place on a USB drive or
            > whatnot, and
            > Bb> know that I can read my emails wherever. Try it out! :)
            >
            > Brian
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
              Brian Binder wrote:

              >> Yep. Thunderbird is the mail client for use with Firebird, since they
              >> both run independent and with no "real" registry keys that need to be
              >> installed.
              >
              >> I like knowing that I can take it from place to place on a
              >> USB drive or whatnot, and know that I can read my emails wherever.
              >> Try it out! :)
              >
              > Brian
              >
              >> I think the idea is that by splitting Mozilla into separate
              >> browser/mail client (and maybe composer too - I'm not sure)
              >> it will be easier to develop and be significantly "lighter"
              >> than its older big brother.
              >>
              >> Apparently Thunderbird will be the new email
              >> client - its fairly new and I haven't checked it out yet; but
              >> in the last month there seems to have been a lot of
              >> development in both Firebird and Thunderbird.
              >>
              >> Thunderbird Help if you want to have a look:
              >> http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/index.html

              Brian, Alec,

              I did download F"Bird and T'Bird and a couple dozen extensions.
              Portability with an email client would be nice if one had the need.

              Each product, FireBird - ThunderBird, is extremely close in look and
              feel to their counterparts in Mozilla. I tried them for at least an
              entire day and it seemed as if I had jumped back in time for a few
              months, at least, a few weeks. Most of the apparent bugs and
              shortcomings I have already worked through with past Mozilla issues.

              Each may be slightly faster to load but the download sizes added
              together is equal to or greater than the size of the Mozilla download,
              then you have to download all the extensions. I think the most popular
              extensions should be included with the download.

              Switchover is not much of a problem, bookmarks from Moz are compatible
              with FireBird and Moz Mail Folders, and Address Book I think, are
              compatible with ThunderBird, just drag each item to its respective
              place, fire up the browser or client and start using it.

              I think I'm going to wait for a few weeks and try again or, until I'm
              totally abandoned by Mozilla. The only extension I have to use with
              Mozilla is Multizilla, which enhances tabbed browsing. I have
              downloaded a couple others and some themes but I can reinstall them at
              any time without going to the web.

              hrs
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
                And there are definitely more free products that beat pay-for that people
                just don't know about.

                > I'm currently using OE (through Popfile) and X1-Find for
                > searching email archives. The X1-Find program claims to
                > support OE, Outlook, Eudora and NetscapeMail formats.

                Haven't used Popfile, though I have heard of it. I'm more of a Spamihilator
                or K9 fan when it comes to quick filtering of mail.

                If X1 supports Netscape mail formats, then you should have no problems with
                Mozilla builds, since that's what Netscape is anyway.

                > If you know ... is the format for Thunderbirds mail files
                > "likely" to be compatible with Netscape mail? I'd assume
                > they've probably attempted to keep backwards compatibility
                > but haven't read much about it at all.

                Without having tried it, I would still say yes. Netscape and Mozilla are
                basically the same, except for the lack of AOL. Yes!

                > Again, if you know ... any ideas about the feasibility of
                > converting some 90,000 messages in approx 300 OE-DBX
                > files/folders from OE-format to NetscapeMail format (whatever
                > that is - I guess I'd better make an effort to
                > learn)

                I'm actually more surprised than anything that you are using OE to manage
                all of that mail. I'd definitely be on something else if and when managing
                that much data. But hey, whatever works for you, right?

                > btw: I've been flipping back and forth between default
                > browsers of Firebird (aka Phoenix), MyIE2 and Sleipnir for
                > about 6 months. The last time I ditched Firebird (late 0.5
                > version) it was primarily because at least for me it seemed
                > too resource heavy compared to the two IE-based tabbed browsers.

                And Firebird was always such a slow starter for me. I actually have been in
                the habit of using Avant browser for a lot of surfing these days. I like it
                better than, say, Netcaptor, or IE and Firebird. Nice and skinnable without
                restarting, very stable, (for me anyway!) and has the "tabbed" interface at
                the bottom for quick access to previous pages. Plus it has a couple handy
                mouse gestures.

                Brian
              • Robert Romberger
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
                  On 5 Aug 2003 at 16:37, Alec Burgess wrote:

                  > Again, if you know ... any ideas about the feasibility of converting some
                  > 90,000 messages in approx 300 OE-DBX files/folders from OE-format to
                  > NetscapeMail format (whatever that is - I guess I'd better make an effort to
                  > learn)

                  I use Pegasus for my mail client and had to convert my Netscape mail to a
                  format that Pegasus could understand. I used a utility called Dawn, but I
                  can't seem to find the url for it right now. However, in a related
                  conversation I found this on the WIN-PM mail list:

                  > For the Outlook Express folders try the IE2E utility which is designed to
                  > convert Mail (not news) folders from Outlook Express 5 (From IE 5.0) DBX
                  > folders to standard MBX files importable by almost any mail program. Pegasus
                  > Mail can read these *.MBX files directly, you simply point at the directory
                  > containing the MBX files using the "Add mailbox to list".
                  > http://www.mindware.com.au/

                  It might help you in your conversion of the OE mail. You might also want
                  to do a web search for mail converters (specifically Dawn) - I recommend
                  Dawn as it can convert from or to just about any known mail storage format.

                  --
                  Robert

                  Thought for the day: Promise yourself to live your life as a revolution
                  and not just a process of evolution. Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue
                  Book
                • Mark Partous
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                    Hello Robert,

                    http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

                    --
                    Best Wishes,
                    Mark
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                      On 7 Aug 2003 at 14:46, Mark Partous wrote:

                      > RR> I used a utility called Dawn, but I
                      > RR> can't seem to find the url for it right now.
                      >
                      > http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

                      Thanks, that is it! Great program. :)

                      --
                      Robert

                      Thought for the day: Nothing is worth doing unless the consequences may be
                      serious. George Bernard Shaw