Mozilla-Firebird - keeping current with nightlies

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
      > hsavage wrote:
      >
      >> What build of Mozilla are you running, I usually download the latest
      >> beta every day, now it is 2003073110.

      I'm not sure whether the reference to "Mozilla" here was to Mozilla 1.5(?)
      or Mozilla-Firebird 0.6
      I'm trying to keep up with Mozilla-Firebird but I've got a question about
      the mechanics of upgrading to a more recent build if significant
      customization (mostly installing extensions and making parameter choices)
      has been done.

      If you've installed a bunch of extensions (and made a bunch of parameter
      selections) what's the easiest way of getting yourself back to the same
      place?

      As I understand it, some extensions can be installed either globally or per
      user. Whenever the option exists I choose the per-user option, but when I
      drop a current nightly on top of my current Program Files\Mozilla a lot of
      customization gets undone.

      Again, AFAIK all these customizations that aren't being done per user, are
      being recorded in Program Files\Mozilla\Chrome\... various files ... (?)

      Are there any files from my previous working copy that I can/should drop
      back into the current ProgFiles\MozFire\Chrome to save time in getting it
      back in my desired working condition?

      I know that if I want to report a bug to Bugzilla they want me to do a
      "vanilla" install to a newly created user, but here I just want (mostly) to
      use MozFire as my working browser without having to be concerned constantly
      with bleeding edge stuff.

      Regards ... Alec
      --
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2003
        Alec Burgess wrote:

        > I'm not sure whether the reference to "Mozilla" here was to Mozilla
        1.5(?)
        > or Mozilla-Firebird 0.6
        >
        > If you've installed a bunch of extensions (and made a bunch of parameter
        > selections) what's the easiest way of getting yourself back to the same
        > place?
        >
        > but when I drop a current nightly on top of my current Program
        > Files\Mozilla a lot of customization gets undone.
        >
        > Again, AFAIK all these customizations that aren't being done per
        user, are
        > being recorded in Program Files\Mozilla\Chrome\... various files ... (?)
        >
        > Are there any files from my previous working copy that I can/should drop
        > back into the current ProgFiles\MozFire\Chrome to save time in getting it
        > back in my desired working condition?
        >
        > I know that if I want to report a bug to Bugzilla they want me to do a
        > "vanilla" install to a newly created user,
        >
        > Regards ... Alec

        Alec,

        The reference was Mozilla 1.5. I tried Firebird and as far as I could
        tell it didn't have an email client. The client included with Mozilla
        is the only one I have that isn't MS. I saw little need to have
        Firebird and Mozilla installed.

        Extensions, I'm not sure what those are in the case. Would that be
        additional plugins or different skins.

        If skins, Mozilla can be cleared by deleting the file chrome.rdf in the
        chrome folder and rebooting, Might be possible to copy that file to a
        new location and copy back after a new install.

        Most other customizations are in 'prefs.js', on my machine the path is
        C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
        Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ccj6u4mh.slt\prefs.js

        There may be other files with setting and prefs but I haven't had enough
        trouble to dig into it. The newer Mozilla has an installation option to
        rip out all the extras or leave them in place. The only addition I
        usually make is to add Multizilla. It enhances tabbed browsing.

        hrs
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
          hrs said:

          > The reference was Mozilla 1.5. I tried Firebird and as far as I could
          > tell it didn't have an email client. The client included with Mozilla
          > is the only one I have that isn't MS. I saw little need to have
          > Firebird and Mozilla installed.

          I think the idea is that by splitting Mozilla into separate browser/mail
          client (and maybe composer too - I'm not sure) it will be easier to develop
          and be significantly "lighter" than its older big brother.

          You might want to check out Firebird a little more then - from what I've
          read its where all the future development is going to be. Apparently
          Thunderbird will be the new email client - its fairly new and I haven't
          checked it out yet; but in the last month there seems to have been a lot of
          development in both Firebird and Thunderbird.

          Thunderbird Help if you want to have a look:
          http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/index.html

          >> Mozilla Thunderbird - The New Mail Client from Mozilla

          Mozilla Thunderbird is a free, open-source and cross-platform mail client
          and news reader for most modern operating systems including, but not limited
          to, Windows, Linux and Macintosh. It offers some advantages over other mail
          clients, including junk mail classification. Built from Mozilla code,
          Mozilla Thunderbird uses Gecko, the most standards-compliant rendering
          engine in existence.<<

          > Extensions, I'm not sure what those are in the case. Would that be
          > additional plugins or different skins.

          No, not skins (MF calls them themes but I haven't bothered with them)

          Extensions are like industrial strength Plugins. Some of them you might
          recognize from Mozilla 1.4-1.5. There are now a list of about 90 - the most
          important is Tabbrowser Extensions (probably fairly close to Multizilla I
          think).

          Of the rest, a number are for convenience, and a number seem to me to be
          quite useful if you do any web-development. I'm just a dilettante :-)

          AFAICT - you *do* have to reinstall any that don't provide the option to be
          installed in per user, but the good thing is they only take seconds to
          download and install and most don't have settings dialogues so its not
          really that cumbersome if you keep a list of what ones you're going to lose
          each time you install a new nightly.

          They can all be viewed at: http://texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html
          Some of them are pretty goofy but a lot look they'll be potentially useful.

          Here's the ones I've just finished downloading (or redownloading) - those
          that don't have an install to user are marked with XXXXXXX

          All-in-One Gestures
          Browser Uptime 1.0
          Checky
          ChromEdit 0.0.4.5
          Compact Menu 1.5.0
          Digger v0.5.0
          Download Statusbar 0.8
          Find in this Selectbox... 1.0
          Google Bar XXXXXXXXX
          GoTo v0.1.0
          JavaScript Console Status 1.0
          Leech XXXXXXXXX
          Link Toolbar [2003-05-04]
          LinkIt 0.0.4
          Linky
          ListToolbars 0.1
          Mouse Gestures XXXXXXXXX
          mozilla google toolbar
          NavButtons
          NeedleSearch toolbar XXXXXXXXX
          Paste and Go 0.1
          Pref Buttons 0.1
          Preferential XXXXXXXXXXX
          QuickPrefs v1.0
          Spade [2003 04 23]
          SpiderZilla XXXXXXXX
          Style Selector 0.2.3
          Tab Downloader 2.01 XXXXXXXXX
          Tabbrowser Extensions XXXXXXX
          Themer
          Things They Left Out [0.1.4]
          Tip of the Day v0.5.0
          trivial v0.0.5.5 [2003 04 16]
          Web Developer 0.1

          Regards ... Alec

          > > I'm not sure whether the reference to "Mozilla" here was to
          > Mozilla
          > 1.5(?)
          > > or Mozilla-Firebird 0.6
          > >
          > > If you've installed a bunch of extensions (and made a bunch of
          > parameter > selections) what's the easiest way of getting yourself
          > back to the same > place?
          > >
          > > but when I drop a current nightly on top of my current Program
          > > Files\Mozilla a lot of customization gets undone.
          > >
          > > Again, AFAIK all these customizations that aren't being done per
          > user, are
          > > being recorded in Program Files\Mozilla\Chrome\... various files
          > ... (?) >
          > > Are there any files from my previous working copy that I
          > can/should drop > back into the current ProgFiles\MozFire\Chrome to
          > save time in getting it > back in my desired working condition?
          > >
          > > I know that if I want to report a bug to Bugzilla they want me to
          > do a > "vanilla" install to a newly created user,
          > >
          > > Regards ... Alec
          >
          > Alec,
          >

          > If skins, Mozilla can be cleared by deleting the file chrome.rdf in
          > the
          > chrome folder and rebooting, Might be possible to copy that file to a
          > new location and copy back after a new install.
          >
          > Most other customizations are in 'prefs.js', on my machine the path is
          > C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
          > Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\ccj6u4mh.slt\prefs.js
          >
          > There may be other files with setting and prefs but I haven't had
          > enough
          > trouble to dig into it. The newer Mozilla has an installation option
          > rip out all the extras or leave them in place. The only addition I
          > usually make is to add Multizilla. It enhances tabbed browsing.
          >
          > hrs

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
            Bb> Yep. Thunderbird is the mail client for use with Firebird, since they
            Bb> both run independent and with no "real" registry keys that need to be
            Bb> installed. I use Thunderbird, and there's a few bugs, but the good
            Bb> folks at Mozilla take care of them pretty darn fast.

            Bb> I used to use Foxmail, but I stick with Thunderbird now. I like
            knowing
            Bb> that I can take it from place to place on a USB drive or whatnot, and
            Bb> know that I can read my emails wherever. Try it out! :)

            Brian

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2003
              Brian:

              I'm currently using OE (through Popfile) and X1-Find for searching email
              archives. The X1-Find program claims to support OE, Outlook, Eudora and
              NetscapeMail formats.

              If you know ... is the format for Thunderbirds mail files "likely" to be
              compatible with Netscape mail? I'd assume they've probably attempted to keep
              backwards compatibility but haven't read much about it at all.

              Again, if you know ... any ideas about the feasibility of converting some
              90,000 messages in approx 300 OE-DBX files/folders from OE-format to
              NetscapeMail format (whatever that is - I guess I'd better make an effort to
              learn)

              btw: I've been flipping back and forth between default browsers of Firebird
              (aka Phoenix), MyIE2 and Sleipnir for about 6 months. The last time I
              ditched Firebird (late 0.5 version) it was primarily because at least for me
              it seemed too resource heavy compared to the two IE-based tabbed browsers.

              I've been back at Firebird know for about a week - this time I think I'll be
              able to stick with it. Especially with some of the web-developement
              extensions installed and in combination with Proxomitron it's been working
              great (and all free :-0 )

              Regards ... Alec

              > Bb> Yep. Thunderbird is the mail client for use with Firebird,
              > since they
              > Bb> both run independent and with no "real" registry keys that need
              > to be
              > Bb> installed. I use Thunderbird, and there's a few bugs, but the
              > good
              > Bb> folks at Mozilla take care of them pretty darn fast.
              >
              > Bb> I used to use Foxmail, but I stick with Thunderbird now. I like
              > knowing
              > Bb> that I can take it from place to place on a USB drive or
              > whatnot, and
              > Bb> know that I can read my emails wherever. Try it out! :)
              >
              > Brian
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
                Brian Binder wrote:

                >> Yep. Thunderbird is the mail client for use with Firebird, since they
                >> both run independent and with no "real" registry keys that need to be
                >> installed.
                >
                >> I like knowing that I can take it from place to place on a
                >> USB drive or whatnot, and know that I can read my emails wherever.
                >> Try it out! :)
                >
                > Brian
                >
                >> I think the idea is that by splitting Mozilla into separate
                >> browser/mail client (and maybe composer too - I'm not sure)
                >> it will be easier to develop and be significantly "lighter"
                >> than its older big brother.
                >>
                >> Apparently Thunderbird will be the new email
                >> client - its fairly new and I haven't checked it out yet; but
                >> in the last month there seems to have been a lot of
                >> development in both Firebird and Thunderbird.
                >>
                >> Thunderbird Help if you want to have a look:
                >> http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/index.html

                Brian, Alec,

                I did download F"Bird and T'Bird and a couple dozen extensions.
                Portability with an email client would be nice if one had the need.

                Each product, FireBird - ThunderBird, is extremely close in look and
                feel to their counterparts in Mozilla. I tried them for at least an
                entire day and it seemed as if I had jumped back in time for a few
                months, at least, a few weeks. Most of the apparent bugs and
                shortcomings I have already worked through with past Mozilla issues.

                Each may be slightly faster to load but the download sizes added
                together is equal to or greater than the size of the Mozilla download,
                then you have to download all the extensions. I think the most popular
                extensions should be included with the download.

                Switchover is not much of a problem, bookmarks from Moz are compatible
                with FireBird and Moz Mail Folders, and Address Book I think, are
                compatible with ThunderBird, just drag each item to its respective
                place, fire up the browser or client and start using it.

                I think I'm going to wait for a few weeks and try again or, until I'm
                totally abandoned by Mozilla. The only extension I have to use with
                Mozilla is Multizilla, which enhances tabbed browsing. I have
                downloaded a couple others and some themes but I can reinstall them at
                any time without going to the web.

                hrs
              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
                  And there are definitely more free products that beat pay-for that people
                  just don't know about.

                  > I'm currently using OE (through Popfile) and X1-Find for
                  > searching email archives. The X1-Find program claims to
                  > support OE, Outlook, Eudora and NetscapeMail formats.

                  Haven't used Popfile, though I have heard of it. I'm more of a Spamihilator
                  or K9 fan when it comes to quick filtering of mail.

                  If X1 supports Netscape mail formats, then you should have no problems with
                  Mozilla builds, since that's what Netscape is anyway.

                  > If you know ... is the format for Thunderbirds mail files
                  > "likely" to be compatible with Netscape mail? I'd assume
                  > they've probably attempted to keep backwards compatibility
                  > but haven't read much about it at all.

                  Without having tried it, I would still say yes. Netscape and Mozilla are
                  basically the same, except for the lack of AOL. Yes!

                  > Again, if you know ... any ideas about the feasibility of
                  > converting some 90,000 messages in approx 300 OE-DBX
                  > files/folders from OE-format to NetscapeMail format (whatever
                  > that is - I guess I'd better make an effort to
                  > learn)

                  I'm actually more surprised than anything that you are using OE to manage
                  all of that mail. I'd definitely be on something else if and when managing
                  that much data. But hey, whatever works for you, right?

                  > btw: I've been flipping back and forth between default
                  > browsers of Firebird (aka Phoenix), MyIE2 and Sleipnir for
                  > about 6 months. The last time I ditched Firebird (late 0.5
                  > version) it was primarily because at least for me it seemed
                  > too resource heavy compared to the two IE-based tabbed browsers.

                  And Firebird was always such a slow starter for me. I actually have been in
                  the habit of using Avant browser for a lot of surfing these days. I like it
                  better than, say, Netcaptor, or IE and Firebird. Nice and skinnable without
                  restarting, very stable, (for me anyway!) and has the "tabbed" interface at
                  the bottom for quick access to previous pages. Plus it has a couple handy
                  mouse gestures.

                  Brian
                • Robert Romberger
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
                    On 5 Aug 2003 at 16:37, Alec Burgess wrote:

                    > Again, if you know ... any ideas about the feasibility of converting some
                    > 90,000 messages in approx 300 OE-DBX files/folders from OE-format to
                    > NetscapeMail format (whatever that is - I guess I'd better make an effort to
                    > learn)

                    I use Pegasus for my mail client and had to convert my Netscape mail to a
                    format that Pegasus could understand. I used a utility called Dawn, but I
                    can't seem to find the url for it right now. However, in a related
                    conversation I found this on the WIN-PM mail list:

                    > For the Outlook Express folders try the IE2E utility which is designed to
                    > convert Mail (not news) folders from Outlook Express 5 (From IE 5.0) DBX
                    > folders to standard MBX files importable by almost any mail program. Pegasus
                    > Mail can read these *.MBX files directly, you simply point at the directory
                    > containing the MBX files using the "Add mailbox to list".
                    > http://www.mindware.com.au/

                    It might help you in your conversion of the OE mail. You might also want
                    to do a web search for mail converters (specifically Dawn) - I recommend
                    Dawn as it can convert from or to just about any known mail storage format.

                    --
                    Robert

                    Thought for the day: Promise yourself to live your life as a revolution
                    and not just a process of evolution. Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue
                    Book
                  • Mark Partous
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                      Hello Robert,

                      http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

                      --
                      Best Wishes,
                      Mark
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 7, 2003
                        On 7 Aug 2003 at 14:46, Mark Partous wrote:

                        > RR> I used a utility called Dawn, but I
                        > RR> can't seem to find the url for it right now.
                        >
                        > http://www.joshie.com/projects/dawn/

                        Thanks, that is it! Great program. :)

                        --
                        Robert

                        Thought for the day: Nothing is worth doing unless the consequences may be
                        serious. George Bernard Shaw