IE Mail

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
      Some of my mail is being sent into the Deleted Items folder directly from
      the server. Most of these are Spam, but occasionally an innocent email is
      sent there. I have been going in and checking them to be sure they are all
      spam. Today for some reason when I click on the Deleted Items folder I get
      the hourglass figure and it stays there until I select the Alt, Ctrl, Del
      buttons and then it says OE is not responding. I have select the End Task
      button. I can get into any mail box that I have set up except the Deleted
      Items box. Is there any way I can view those items. I did have POPFile on
      the computer, but removed it and made my own Spam filter using Message
      Rules. And I started using a better filter than POPFile on my other
      computer, it is called spamihilator and I want to read my Deleted Items
      folder and delete the spam and put spamihilator on this machine too.
      Ed
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
        Maybe I can help with this. What OS are you currently using? I think I
        have something we can try.

        Brian

      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
          OS = 2000 pro and I sure hope we can get to the bottom of this. I like this
          Spamihilator better than anything else I have seen. No where near as
          cumbersome as POPFile and seems to work much better.
          Ed

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
            I use Spamihilator too. Lemme ask though. If you go back to the way you
            had things setup before...without Spamihilator...does it work? I am hoping
            your answer is no.

            Spamihilator is just a gateway, so I am hoping you tell me the answer is no.

            Just want to make sure before I continue.

            Brian

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
              Brian,
              I really hate to disappoint you but yes it works fine. What happened may
              have been the fact that I downloaded it and installed it twice, when I could
              not find the Training Area nor the Recycle Bin. I kept seeing the yellow
              mail flash when there was incoming but it was so quick I could not read it.
              I knew the mail was coming it but I could not find it at first. Then I
              installed it again. Then I found the little bitty icon and clicked on it.
              Sure enough there was everything, and only one Spam slipped through and only
              one good email in the Recycle Bin. The mail was flashing incoming and where
              it went I do not know. The Recycle bin was empty as was the training area.
              I still do not know what I lost and it was several before I shut down the
              mail and brought up the other computer with regular mail on it.

              And I told it that I wanted IE and Mozilla Mail to work with the
              Spamihilator. I checked the Mozilla mail and there was nothing there either.
              I took it off completely and may have lost the lost mail completely at that
              point if not before then and before I put it back on, I want to be sure that
              the other is not hiding somewhere on this computer. I hope this does not
              happen again. I had to go back in and reset my mail program before I could
              receive my mail again, removing all that the Spamihilator had changed.
              Ed

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
                I never choose a mail client when I install it. Make sure you have it
                installed only once though. If you have to uninstall it and reinstall it,
                do it.

                Just make sure that only one copy of the program is running at any one time.

                Manually make the settings in your POP client according to the instructions.
                I'd be glad to help you with it, if there are any issues. I just think that
                the program runs so much better when you choose to not go through the
                wizard, but instead manually make the changes.

                That wizard makes some weird things happen sometime.

                Lemme know how you are progressing on this. It works pretty darn good and
                I'd hate for you to not be able to use it.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
                  I installed it without the wizard. I think. I went to the downloaded
                  spamihilator_0_9_6.exe and clicked on it and it is now in the tray and
                  apparently is working. But I am not sure until I go to the training area and
                  see what happens.
                  Ed

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Brian,
                    I notice nothing is going into the training area. What do I need to do to
                    make it going into there. I do not get much spam but so far there is
                    nothing in the Recycle Bin either. I need to make some adjustments, but not
                    sure what to do.
                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
                      I suspect that if you see nothing in either one of these areas, the username
                      and server settings are not setup correctly.

                      What do you have in the POP3 server setting? It should be "localhost" or
                      127.0.0.1

                      Is your username also in the format of "yourpopserver.com&username"

                      Is that how it's setup? You should always notice that Spamihilator
                      downloads your mail for you, and never Outlook or any other mail client.

                      Brian

                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
                        .I suspect that if you see nothing in either one of these >areas, the
                        username
                        >and server settings are not setup correctly.

                        They are set up ok.

                        >What do you have in the POP3 server setting? It should >be "localhost" or
                        >127.0.0.1

                        OK the problem I think is because I am using 2000 and it does not use that
                        exact wording, but I have figured it out and it is working ok again. Now if
                        the mail does not disappear when I correct the Training Area and move the
                        good ones out of the Recycle bin. Thanks Brian, Let me see how this works.
                        Ed
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
                          Ed Brown wrote:

                          >> What do you have in the POP3 server setting? It should >be
                          "localhost" or
                          >> 127.0.0.1
                          >
                          > OK the problem I think is because I am using 2000 and it does not use
                          that
                          > exact wording,
                          >
                          > Ed

                          Ed,

                          For a point of information to us non-2000 users, how does Win2000 word
                          this parameter?

                          Notice, only necessary info is quoted.

                          hrs
                        • Ed Brown
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 2, 2003
                            >Ed,

                            >For a point of information to us non-2000 users, how does Win2000 word
                            >this parameter?

                            >Notice, only necessary info is quoted.

                            >hrs
                            Hi hrs,
                            in OE select Tools, Select Mail, Select Properties, Select Servers, and
                            there was a name for the server, it was of course POP 3 but I could not
                            write in that, turned out to be that I had to write localhost in the
                            Incoming Mail slot, and instead of username the term is Account Name. I am
                            one who when told to find Username, I am looking for username not Account
                            Name, same above that I was looking for Pop 3 server but the name was
                            actually Incoming Mail where I need the localhost. If anyone is giving me
                            instructions, I work quite literally and not generally. If You tell me find
                            the username, I am looking for username etc. With me be specific, just my
                            nature. Never took a hint in my life, you have to spell it out. :-) If
                            someone had told me to write localhost in the Incoming Mail slot that would
                            have been easy. And if instead of say in the username write they had told me
                            to write the other in the Account name that would have been easy. Not their
                            fault you understand but mine. I just need directions to be specific.
                            Ed