XHTML

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 24, 2003
      column 18: there is no attribute "type" (explain...).
      must be done to correct this error please?ThanksEd
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2003
        At 04:40 2003.07.25, Ed Brown wrote:
        > column 18: there is no attribute "type" (explain...).
        >must be done to correct this error please?

        XHTML is lower case. After that the validator probably says "there is not element "SCRIPT" in this version of HTML...".

        Lotta
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 25, 2003
          You are right there, but there is another problem with the js, notice it has
          the old version that is deprecated and surely does not work in XHTML of FONT
          FACE. Now I used lower case but it still did not validate and probably will
          not until you change it to font-family, but I tried that then the js did not
          work. Here is the script again with added periods which should be removed
          before it will work.

          <script type="text/javascript".>
          <!--
          document.write("<font face='arial, helvetica' size='-2'
          color='#993399'.><b.>This page last edited <tt>" + document.lastModified) +
          "<\/b><\/tt><\/font>"
          //-->
          </script.>
          Ed

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 25, 2003
            >You are right there, but there is another problem with the js, notice it has
            >the old version that is deprecated and surely does not work in XHTML of FONT
            >FACE.

            The validator doesn't parse your javascript so you can write what you want for all it cares. The slashes in closing tags in document.write bits can trigger errors because the validator sees them as closing a tag in the real HTML but yours are escaped so that's fine. FONT is allowed in XHTML Transitional as in HTML 4.01 Transitional anyway (one of the reasons the whole thing is pretty silly IMHO) so it's up to you

            BUT! You can't hide embedded scripts and style blocks with HTML comments in XHTML.
            <http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/#guidelines>

            Or can you? Ugly but clever. :-)
            <http://doxdesk.com/personal/posts/wd/20010911-cdata.html>

            What is <b.> though? The period there?

            Lotta
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2003
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2003
                BUT! You can't hide embedded scripts and style blocks with HTML comments in
                XHTML.
                <http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xhtml1-20011004/#guidelines>

                Or can you? Ugly but clever. :-)
                <http://doxdesk.com/personal/posts/wd/20010911-cdata.html>

                But I must not have laid it out just right, not knowing how to write js
                myself is a drawback of course, but when I followed the instructions on the
                webpage I just got the js error window that always pops up when it is not
                written correctly. Did it work for you?
                Ed
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2003
                  At 16:26 2003.07.25, you wrote:
                  >But I must not have laid it out just right, not knowing how to write js
                  >myself is a drawback of course, but when I followed the instructions on the
                  >webpage I just got the js error window that always pops up when it is not
                  >written correctly. Did it work for you?

                  You have put the closing parenthesis for the document.write in the middle of the string. That's probably it.

                  You had the closing paranthesis here: document.lastModified)

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2003
                    At 16:26 2003.07.25, you wrote:
                    >But I must not have laid it out just right, not knowing how to write js
                    >myself is a drawback of course, but when I followed the instructions on the
                    >webpage I just got the js error window that always pops up when it is not
                    >written correctly. Did it work for you?

                    You have put the closing parenthesis for the document.write in the middle of the string. That's probably it.

                    You had the closing parenthesis here: document.lastModified)

                    Lotta
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 26, 2003
                      Actually that is where it goes. It works fine, now I just could not see all
                      the upper case letters for some reason and when they were all gone it works
                      and validates ok. Thanks for your help. If it was not for all the helpful
                      people on this list I would be completely lost.
                      Ed