X1-Find (was [MB] What are size limits for Mailbag)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2003
      My OE-Store is 800 MB and growing by about 85 MB per month. I'd love to use
      MailBagArchive but even when it was much slower it just couldn't keep up on
      my Win2K P-III 750 Mhz 256 RAM laptop

      The good news is that X1 2.0 www.x1.com.com (recently released and name
      changed from Find.exe) is able to keep up with indexing all email as it
      arrives and allows (subject to my sometimes having so much running that
      major swapping is required) effectively instantaneous access to search by
      from, to, word in subject, word in body word in OE-folder.

      The email indexing works with OE, Eudora and Outlook-PST files natively
      (with some extra functionality in Outlook not available yet in the other
      two)

      Email indexing functions are FREE; adding indexing to all files and to the
      contents of many file types (txt, html, doc, xml etc. - pdf (soon but not
      yet)) costs just under $50 - compare to $200 for Enfish.

      I'd be interested to hear from any power-users of MBA who have the time to
      compare X1 and MBA head-to-head.

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2003
        I am also trying the new X1 program.
        It has real promise!

        But, so far I am interacting
        with their bug department,
        because it is not finding the
        correct set of email files to index.

        The godo news: they are really quick
        to respond on bugs and suggestions.
        Now they have not yet FIXED what
        I have found so far, but I have hope.

        when they get X1 right, it could be
        killer for searching. I may still
        use MB as a way to get some stats, massage
        all those email addresses, etc.

        But I have SO much email (in Netscape 7.1
        format) that managing teh naitive files
        and an MB archive is a disk space issue.

        I actually went and bougth a USB 2.0/Firewire
        80MB external disk to be able to backup
        all my stupid email. Is that SICK or what?

        http://www.x1.com

        -ron jeffries