Re: [NTO] Identities in MSOE

  • R Shapp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
      Bob J, Don P., and Greg C.

      Thank you for your responses.

      Bob said:
      <<no problem to use Outlook to work with more than one ISP>>

      Although I'm using Outlook Express v6, your point is still valid.

      Greg said:
      <<What you should have is two accounts, not two identities.>>

      That's exactly the info I needed.

      <<http://www.tomsterdam.com/ is the best site I know for finding answers about
      OE.>>

      That's a very useful site. Your claithelp pages are very well written.

      My initial problem was caused by my uncritically accepting the "help" of a
      very rushed tech at the broadband company. That's how I ended up with a
      separate identity. He also told me I had to export my address book from the
      old account (dial-up) and import it into the new one (broadband). I realized
      it wasn't necessary to export/import because I merely moved all my addresses
      into the shared folder. I wasn't able to see a comparable way to share all my
      mail rules, however. This is now moot because I just created a new account
      for broadband under the original identity.

      It wasn't working because I was naming the POP3 and SMTP servers incorrectly.
      The naming conventions are very different at the two ISPs. (This is a point
      Greg made, and I would emphasize.)

      Don said:
      <<I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
      other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.>>

      I am subscribed on the ntb-clips group, and I would be interested in seeing
      the clip. Until I gain confidence in this new setup, I'll continue to make
      necessary switches manually, but I do appreciate the offer.

      This email, itself is a bit of a test because I'm using the broadband account
      to send it. I have been successfully sending test messages to myself, but
      this one involves Yahoo. I may not get to see this posted until later
      tonight because the dial-up phone is in use for another purpose.

      Thanks again for your help

      Ray Shapp