RE: [NTO] Broadband vs Dialup Email was Identities in MSOE

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hi Don,

      > I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
      > other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.
      >
      > It checks if outlooks express is open, and if not opens it. After it is
      > open, it steps through the account settings for two accounts and sets the
      > outgoing smtp to match what I wish it to be.

      I'm not on the clips list and won't join it just to wait for a single post,
      so I'd love a copy privately, please.

      It might even get me into writing clips properly, about all I've done is
      amend the "Format Email" one to suit my way of working and added a character
      or two to the HTML "Special Character" clipbar button.

      > Also, I have sometimes used http://www.web2mail.com

      Swear by that one! Works fast, very clean interface, and you can customise
      it to pick up almost any POP account.

      Greg
    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
        Bob J, Don P., and Greg C.

        Thank you for your responses.

        Bob said:
        <<no problem to use Outlook to work with more than one ISP>>

        Although I'm using Outlook Express v6, your point is still valid.

        Greg said:
        <<What you should have is two accounts, not two identities.>>

        That's exactly the info I needed.

        <<http://www.tomsterdam.com/ is the best site I know for finding answers about
        OE.>>

        That's a very useful site. Your claithelp pages are very well written.

        My initial problem was caused by my uncritically accepting the "help" of a
        very rushed tech at the broadband company. That's how I ended up with a
        separate identity. He also told me I had to export my address book from the
        old account (dial-up) and import it into the new one (broadband). I realized
        it wasn't necessary to export/import because I merely moved all my addresses
        into the shared folder. I wasn't able to see a comparable way to share all my
        mail rules, however. This is now moot because I just created a new account
        for broadband under the original identity.

        It wasn't working because I was naming the POP3 and SMTP servers incorrectly.
        The naming conventions are very different at the two ISPs. (This is a point
        Greg made, and I would emphasize.)

        Don said:
        <<I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
        other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.>>

        I am subscribed on the ntb-clips group, and I would be interested in seeing
        the clip. Until I gain confidence in this new setup, I'll continue to make
        necessary switches manually, but I do appreciate the offer.

        This email, itself is a bit of a test because I'm using the broadband account
        to send it. I have been successfully sending test messages to myself, but
        this one involves Yahoo. I may not get to see this posted until later
        tonight because the dial-up phone is in use for another purpose.

        Thanks again for your help

        Ray Shapp