Re: [NTO] Broadband vs Dialup Email was Identities in MSOE

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
      I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
      other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.

      It checks if outlooks express is open, and if not opens it. After it is
      open, it steps through the account settings for two accounts and sets the
      outgoing smtp to match what I wish it to be.

      Also, I have sometimes used http://www.web2mail.com or
      http://www.hotmail.com to check a pop3 with "net" mail type of capability.
      Of course you have to decide you are willing to give up username and
      password to the sites. I think both are reputable, however, there still may
      be risks in transmission.

      I don't know if it is appropriate to post a clip here ... so I won't, but I
      can share my clip if you wish.

      --

      Don Passenger

      If you need an html fix visit
      http://www.htmlfixit.com

      to fix your problems
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
        Hi Don,

        > I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
        > other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.
        >
        > It checks if outlooks express is open, and if not opens it. After it is
        > open, it steps through the account settings for two accounts and sets the
        > outgoing smtp to match what I wish it to be.

        I'm not on the clips list and won't join it just to wait for a single post,
        so I'd love a copy privately, please.

        It might even get me into writing clips properly, about all I've done is
        amend the "Format Email" one to suit my way of working and added a character
        or two to the HTML "Special Character" clipbar button.

        > Also, I have sometimes used http://www.web2mail.com

        Swear by that one! Works fast, very clean interface, and you can customise
        it to pick up almost any POP account.

        Greg
      • R Shapp
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
          Bob J, Don P., and Greg C.

          Thank you for your responses.

          Bob said:
          <<no problem to use Outlook to work with more than one ISP>>

          Although I'm using Outlook Express v6, your point is still valid.

          Greg said:
          <<What you should have is two accounts, not two identities.>>

          That's exactly the info I needed.

          <<http://www.tomsterdam.com/ is the best site I know for finding answers about
          OE.>>

          That's a very useful site. Your claithelp pages are very well written.

          My initial problem was caused by my uncritically accepting the "help" of a
          very rushed tech at the broadband company. That's how I ended up with a
          separate identity. He also told me I had to export my address book from the
          old account (dial-up) and import it into the new one (broadband). I realized
          it wasn't necessary to export/import because I merely moved all my addresses
          into the shared folder. I wasn't able to see a comparable way to share all my
          mail rules, however. This is now moot because I just created a new account
          for broadband under the original identity.

          It wasn't working because I was naming the POP3 and SMTP servers incorrectly.
          The naming conventions are very different at the two ISPs. (This is a point
          Greg made, and I would emphasize.)

          Don said:
          <<I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
          other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.>>

          I am subscribed on the ntb-clips group, and I would be interested in seeing
          the clip. Until I gain confidence in this new setup, I'll continue to make
          necessary switches manually, but I do appreciate the offer.

          This email, itself is a bit of a test because I'm using the broadband account
          to send it. I have been successfully sending test messages to myself, but
          this one involves Yahoo. I may not get to see this posted until later
          tonight because the dial-up phone is in use for another purpose.

          Thanks again for your help

          Ray Shapp