RE: [NTO] Broadband vs Dialup Email was Identities in MSOE

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hi Jim,

      > The real problem comes with sending email and this can be tricky
      > and it varies a lot with ISP's.

      Ah! Yes, I forgot to mention that bit in my response!

      I can't speak for your part of the world, but here in the UK all ISPs I know
      still offer POP mail and only offer web-mail as an additional (free)
      service.

      As for sending mail, all ISPs here do seem to block traffic for SMTP servers
      other than their own.

      I have an unmetered ISP account which I can use during the day, when I send
      most of my mail, but at night I use a different ISP.

      No trouble with POP (inbound) mail, but if I want to send anything in the
      evening, I have to set the SMTP server for the account on which I am sending
      mail to my evening ISPs server and then return it to my daytime ISP the
      following morning.

      Messy, but it is tolerable with my level of evening sendings!

      Greg
    • Don Passenger
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
        I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
        other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.

        It checks if outlooks express is open, and if not opens it. After it is
        open, it steps through the account settings for two accounts and sets the
        outgoing smtp to match what I wish it to be.

        Also, I have sometimes used http://www.web2mail.com or
        http://www.hotmail.com to check a pop3 with "net" mail type of capability.
        Of course you have to decide you are willing to give up username and
        password to the sites. I think both are reputable, however, there still may
        be risks in transmission.

        I don't know if it is appropriate to post a clip here ... so I won't, but I
        can share my clip if you wish.

        --

        Don Passenger

        If you need an html fix visit
        http://www.htmlfixit.com

        to fix your problems
        > > The real problem comes with sending email and this can be tricky
        > > and it varies a lot with ISP's.
        >
        > Ah! Yes, I forgot to mention that bit in my response!
        >
        > I can't speak for your part of the world, but here in the UK all ISPs I
        know
        > still offer POP mail and only offer web-mail as an additional (free)
        > service.
        >
        > As for sending mail, all ISPs here do seem to block traffic for SMTP
        servers
        > other than their own.
        >
        > I have an unmetered ISP account which I can use during the day, when I
        send
        > most of my mail, but at night I use a different ISP.
        >
        > No trouble with POP (inbound) mail, but if I want to send anything in the
        > evening, I have to set the SMTP server for the account on which I am
        sending
        > mail to my evening ISPs server and then return it to my daytime ISP the
        > following morning.
        >
        > Messy, but it is tolerable with my level of evening sendings!
        >
        > Greg

      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2003
          Hi Don,

          > I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
          > other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.
          >
          > It checks if outlooks express is open, and if not opens it. After it is
          > open, it steps through the account settings for two accounts and sets the
          > outgoing smtp to match what I wish it to be.

          I'm not on the clips list and won't join it just to wait for a single post,
          so I'd love a copy privately, please.

          It might even get me into writing clips properly, about all I've done is
          amend the "Format Email" one to suit my way of working and added a character
          or two to the HTML "Special Character" clipbar button.

          > Also, I have sometimes used http://www.web2mail.com

          Swear by that one! Works fast, very clean interface, and you can customise
          it to pick up almost any POP account.

          Greg
        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 4, 2003
            Bob J, Don P., and Greg C.

            Thank you for your responses.

            Bob said:
            <<no problem to use Outlook to work with more than one ISP>>

            Although I'm using Outlook Express v6, your point is still valid.

            Greg said:
            <<What you should have is two accounts, not two identities.>>

            That's exactly the info I needed.

            <<http://www.tomsterdam.com/ is the best site I know for finding answers about
            OE.>>

            That's a very useful site. Your claithelp pages are very well written.

            My initial problem was caused by my uncritically accepting the "help" of a
            very rushed tech at the broadband company. That's how I ended up with a
            separate identity. He also told me I had to export my address book from the
            old account (dial-up) and import it into the new one (broadband). I realized
            it wasn't necessary to export/import because I merely moved all my addresses
            into the shared folder. I wasn't able to see a comparable way to share all my
            mail rules, however. This is now moot because I just created a new account
            for broadband under the original identity.

            It wasn't working because I was naming the POP3 and SMTP servers incorrectly.
            The naming conventions are very different at the two ISPs. (This is a point
            Greg made, and I would emphasize.)

            Don said:
            <<I have written a clip that I use in the morning to set my outgoing pop and
            other I use in the evening to set my other outgoing pop.>>

            I am subscribed on the ntb-clips group, and I would be interested in seeing
            the clip. Until I gain confidence in this new setup, I'll continue to make
            necessary switches manually, but I do appreciate the offer.

            This email, itself is a bit of a test because I'm using the broadband account
            to send it. I have been successfully sending test messages to myself, but
            this one involves Yahoo. I may not get to see this posted until later
            tonight because the dial-up phone is in use for another purpose.

            Thanks again for your help

            Ray Shapp