Re[2]: [NTO] need elementary virus explanation

  • Mark Partous
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11 5:27 AM
      Hello Jim,

      JH> I too use Eudora and one of the many reasons I do is that many of
      JH> the email type virii are written expressly for Outlook and Outlook
      JH> Express since 99% of Windows users use one or the other.

      JH> HOWEVER, as you just found out, that is not always the case.

      Another link where one can read what Bugbear.B does:
      http://www.nod32.com/msgs/bugbearb.htm

      ,------/ this is a part of that text \----
      | To find the new addressees/recipients of the infected e-mails, the worm
      | searches through files with the following extensions: .ODS, .MMF, .NCH, .
      | MBX, .EML, .TBB and .DBX. A tricky feature of this worm allows it to
      | append to existing e-mails and/or send itself by means of resending e-mails
      | that had been sent in the past. What is especially tricky is its ability
      | to pretend being sent as a reply to the e-mail found.
      `-----8<-------

      MBX: Eudora
      TBB: The Bat!

      All attempts 'till now have failed:
      1) Files renamed by ZoneAlarm
      2) Intercepted bij NOD32

      Even if that would have failed, there was still PC-Cillin...

      I don't know about Eudora, but in The Bat!, even if the virus would have made
      it as an attachment, it still can't be triggered automatically, whithout a
      manual intervention (as possible in OE & Outlook).

      --
      Best Wishes,
      Mark