View "Thumbnails" Option in Win98

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
      Hi Group,

      Why is the "Thumbnails" option available on the View menu for only a few
      folders on my PC? How can I get all of my folders to offer that option? This
      happens only on an older PC
      using Win98 on a Pentium II PC. On a newer PC running WinXP, the View menu
      offers a "Thumbnails" option for every folder, even those that don't contain
      any images.

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
        At 11:39 PM 10/06/03 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi Group,
        >
        >Why is the "Thumbnails" option available on the View menu for only a few
        >folders on my PC? How can I get all of my folders to offer that option? This
        >happens only on an older PC
        >using Win98 on a Pentium II PC. On a newer PC running WinXP, the View menu
        >offers a "Thumbnails" option for every folder, even those that don't contain
        >any images.
        >
        >Thanks for the help,
        >
        >Ray Shapp

        You have to agree to have all folders "shown as web pages" I think.
        Otherwise you do them individually from the view menu.
        Get a copy of Irfan View and have the best of both worlds. In any folder,
        click File, thumbnails.

      • mcmaier
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
          I don't particularly care to do this, but I understand the Thumbnail view
          can be enabled in Win98 on a folder by folder basis.

          Not all file formats are supported and this view format is best suited for
          use on folders that contain graphic image
          files.

          To do so, locate a folder in Windows Explorer or My Computer, then
          right-click on it and select the Properties command. When
          you see the Properties dialog box for the folder, select the Enable
          Thumbnail View check box. Open the folder using
          either My Computer or Windows Explorer and select View | Thumbnails. You'll
          now see thumbnail views of all the files
          in that folder.

          This tip came from Ben Wilmore a noted Photoshop teacher. Hope it helps you.
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 11, 2003
            Hi Fay and mcmaier,

            <<have all folders "shown as web pages">>

            This didn't help, but... <<Get a copy of Irfan View >> does look promising.
            Downloading now.

            <<When you see the Properties dialog box for the folder, select the Enable
            Thumbnail View check box.>>

            This works on a folder-by-folder basis for all folders I have tried (except
            C:\). That's good enough for my needs, but I do intend to give Irfan a try.
            BTW, I found that it was necessary to close the folder after setting the
            Enable function before Thumbnails became an available option for that folder.

            Problem solved. Thank you for the help! My next step is to purchase Easy
            Imager.

            Ray Shapp