Proxomitron (was: [NTO] Re: File managers)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
      > Alec, thanks ever so much for suggesting Directory Opus
      > here..

      John: Thanks for the credit :-) They've done a great job.

      If you want another "highly recommended" try Proxomitron web proxy. It tames
      the most recalcitrant sites in a way none of the other pop-up stoppers / ad
      blockers can even begin to approach. And this one is totally free!

      -------------

      The author (Scott Lemon) just went on sabbatical - ie. closed his [1]
      website (it displays a kanji script (a haiku?) which if translated with [2]
      alta-vista etc basically says [3] "I'm outa here!"). The program is still
      [2] available and has an active [4] yahoo support group. Scan back to about
      June 1/2003 if you want to follow the controversy. My recommendation is that
      after you get Proxomitron up and running, you then get the JD5000 filter set
      to use with it. (Also available at [5] but JD has his own [6] Proxomitron
      forum.)

      1. Proxomitron home page: http://www.proxomitron.org/
      2. Computer cops forums - current Proxomitron source:
      http://www.computercops.biz/forum-cat14.html
      3. Altavista translation: http://tinyurl.com/dhx7
      4. >>
      -- Going out
      -- Obtaining
      -- ま <-- this (Unicode) character doesn't translate. Any guesses?
      -- It does,
      -- It is
      <<
      5. Yahoo support group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/prox-list/
      6. http://www.jd5000.net/

      Regards ... Alec
      --

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
        Ahhh, thanks again but this one is no surprise to me Alec.. I've been a Pr=
        oxomitron user for at least 2 years now, and I agree with you.. The combina=
        tion of the Proxomitron filter and NetCaptor has totally eliminated pretty m=
        uch all annoyances for me on the internet...

        John

      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
          Subject: Proxomitron (was: [NTO] Re: File managers)

          What's with all this fancy SUBJECT RENAMING stuff?

          The subject above is just one in a long line of recently 'fancy edited'
          subject lines.... I like my messages showing [NTO] or [NTB] without all the
          preceeding stuff... how come everyone is doing this now? Please stop.
          PLEASE?

          And what does it mean??? Proxomitron(was NTO) I mean really, isn't it still
          an NTO subject?

          No need for fancy ideas when the original works just fine....

          Laurie
          <aka cranky old lady...> if yer so inclined to think so.

          Geesh....If it ain't broke, why the heck fix it?
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
            > What's with all this fancy SUBJECT RENAMING stuff?

            Apologies Laurie. I meant to stick "Proxomitron (was: ... " in after [NTO]
            instead of before it in which case the subject would have come out as:
            [NTO] Proxomitron (was:Re: File managers) or would you prefer it got sent
            as a totally new Subject? I thought the chiropterophilous amongst us
            prefered to keep messages in the same thread even when the principal focus
            changes

            Regards ... Alec
            --

              > What's with all this fancy SUBJECT RENAMING stuff?

              Apologies Laurie. I meant to stick "Proxomitron (was: ... " in after [NTO]
              instead of before it in which case the subject would have come out as:
              [NTO] Proxomitron (was:Re: File managers) or would you prefer it got sent
              as a totally new Subject? I thought the chiropterophilous amongst us
              prefered to keep messages in the same thread even when the principal focus
              changes

              Regards ... Alec

              ===========================

              ????chiropterophilous Dictionary.com has no idea what this is, so I'm a
              bit at a loss... call me ignorant.....

              I may or may not be chiropterophilous, cuz I'm not sure what it is.... but
              what is this Proxomitron? Why does it appear in the subject in the first
              place? I'm totally puzzled... and if its related to some service or
              program you are using to reply to email, why included it in a Notetab
              discussion?

              Just trying to understand.....

              Laurie

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                ladyck3@... wrote:

                > > From Alec
                >

                > > What's with all this fancy SUBJECT RENAMING stuff?
                >

                > Apologies Laurie. I meant to stick "Proxomitron

                > I thought the chiropterophilous
                >
                > Regards ... Alec
                >
                > ===========================
                >
                > ????chiropterophilous Dictionary.com has no idea what this is, so
                I'm a
                > bit at a loss... call me ignorant.....
                >
                > I may or may not be chiropterophilous, cuz I'm not sure what it
                is.... >Just trying to understand.....

                > Laurie

                Hi Laurie,

                Try Dictionary.com again and look for 'bat', the furry little night
                creature.

                On the message subject line, I see your point, but Alec said he erred,
                it can happen to us all.

                For filters, EVERYTHING that I think there is a very good chance I'll
                keep, such as all the Fookes lists, friends, family and several other
                tips lists, has a filter set up to send it directly to its folder.

                This way I don't have to worry about moving or deleting it, just go to
                the particular folder and read it. Sometime later I'll MailBag these
                and delete at that time.

                hrs
              • ladyck3@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                  From: hsavage hsavage@...
                  You wrote....

                  >Hi Laurie,

                  >Try Dictionary.com again and look for 'bat', the furry little night
                  >creature.

                  Who you calling a furry little night creature, HRS? huh? Dems is
                  fightin' words! hehehehe

                  I had to chuckle when I saw that... thank heavens I was able to, had this
                  been seen yesterday, I would have been a basket case.. not PMS, but empty
                  next syndrome and have not been able to handle ANYTHING lately but I'm all
                  better today... THANK GOD! and I mean that in all reverence!

                  Maybe I am being too touchy about it all... but I still don't get it...
                  like I said... I'll just let it pass and chalk it up to just being me
                  again... dangit!

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • ladyck3@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                    From: hsavage hsavage@...
                    You wrote....

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                      ladyck3@... wrote:

                      > From: hsavage hsavage@...
                      > You wrote....
                      >

                      > Hi Laurie,
                      >

                      > > Try Dictionary.com again and look for 'bat', the furry little night
                      creature.

                      > Who you calling a furry little night creature, HRS? huh? Dems is
                      > fightin' words! hehehehe
                      >
                      > I had to chuckle when I saw that... thank heavens I was able to, had this
                      > been seen yesterday, I would have been a basket case.. not PMS, but empty
                      > next syndrome and have not been able to handle ANYTHING lately but
                      I'm all
                      > better today... THANK GOD! and I mean that in all reverence!
                      >

                      > Maybe I am being too touchy about it all... but I still don't get it...
                      > like I said... I'll just let it pass and chalk it up to just being me
                      > again... dangit!

                      Laurie,

                      Glad to be of assistance 8-)

                      hrs