Re: [NTO] PC to video

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2003
      What you are describing as a PS/2 socket is in all likelihood
      an S-video socket. I'm not sure what you mean by a "cinch"
      input though... Do you mean RCA jacks? Also, are you certain
      that your graphics card has a TV out? TV-out functionality
      is very different from regular video out, regardless of
      whether the out jack is RGB, S-video, RCA, or composite.

      Scott

      Marcus wrote:
      > Does anybody know what cable (and where you might get it) you need to go from the
      > graphics card TV-Out to the video recorder?
      >
      > The TV-Out has a female ps/2 socket, and the video has cinch
      > input, and TV antenna input.
      > They gave me an svga cable with the graphics card, but that
      > doesn't go into the video. I'v elooked around and not found
      > anything sofar, but maybe I'm not looking in the right
      > places.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Marcus

    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2003
        Friday, May 16, 2003, 2:24:42 AM, you wrote:
        Scott> What you are describing as a PS/2 socket is in all likelihood
        Scott> an S-video socket.

        Yes, only it looks almost identical to PS/2. Is there a difference
        in the plug itself, or does it just change names due to how
        it's wired?

        Scott> I'm not sure what you mean by a "cinch"
        Scott> input though... Do you mean RCA jacks?

        Umm, same as the in/out sockets on an amplifier.

        Scott> Also, are you certain
        Scott> that your graphics card has a TV out? TV-out functionality
        Scott> is very different from regular video out, regardless of
        Scott> whether the out jack is RGB, S-video, RCA, or composite.

        Yes, most certain. That's what the cable is for that came
        with it. They say to plug it in to the TV and reboot, and then your TV
        becomes a monitor. Maybe what I need is an adapter from
        s-video to tv-arial?

        Thanks,

        Marcus
      • Scott Fordin
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2003
          Marcus wrote:
          > Friday, May 16, 2003, 2:24:42 AM, you wrote:
          > Scott> What you are describing as a PS/2 socket is in all likelihood
          > Scott> an S-video socket.
          >
          > Yes, only it looks almost identical to PS/2. Is there a difference
          > in the plug itself, or does it just change names due to how
          > it's wired?

          They do look similar, but it's a totally different
          wiring scheme and physical pin layout -- that is,
          the plugs are different.

          > Scott> I'm not sure what you mean by a "cinch"
          > Scott> input though... Do you mean RCA jacks?
          >
          > Umm, same as the in/out sockets on an amplifier.

          You're probably talking about RCA jacks. The female
          jacks are round with a single hole in the middle and
          a ring of conductive material wrapped around the
          outside surface, yes?

          > Scott> Also, are you certain
          > Scott> that your graphics card has a TV out? TV-out functionality
          > Scott> is very different from regular video out, regardless of
          > Scott> whether the out jack is RGB, S-video, RCA, or composite.
          >
          > Yes, most certain. That's what the cable is for that came
          > with it. They say to plug it in to the TV and reboot, and then your TV
          > becomes a monitor. Maybe what I need is an adapter from
          > s-video to tv-arial?

          Ah, I thought you were talking about getting a TV
          signal -- like cable or antenna input -- from your
          video card. To do this, you need to have a TV card
          or a video card like the ATI All-In-Wonder that
          has true television features. For example, I have
          a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 card, which is a dedicated
          television tuner. It has a cable/antenna input just
          like your regular ol' TV. My video card, an NVidia
          GeForce4ti 4200t, has a standard RGB-out socket and
          an S-video-out socket. From what you're describing,
          it sounds like you simply want to use your television
          as your computer monitor, which is relatively easy.

          So, if what you are trying to do is use your TV as
          your computer monitor, and your video card has an
          S-video out, but your TV does not have an S-video
          in, then what you need is either an S-video to RCA
          converter, or an S-video to coaxial (cable/antenna)
          converter, or an RGB to RCA or coaxial converter.
          I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're
          in the USA, you might try Radio Shack. A good
          online place is www.cablestogo.com.

          Have fun!

          Scott
        • Marcus
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2003
            Friday, May 16, 2003, 4:55:23 AM, you wrote:
            Scott> You're probably talking about RCA jacks. The female
            Scott> jacks are round with a single hole in the middle and
            Scott> a ring of conductive material wrapped around the
            Scott> outside surface, yes?

            Yes.

            Scott>From what you're describing,
            Scott> it sounds like you simply want to use your television
            Scott> as your computer monitor, which is relatively easy.

            Yes, output from the PC to TV set, or video recorder.

            Scott> So, if what you are trying to do is use your TV as
            Scott> your computer monitor, and your video card has an
            Scott> S-video out, but your TV does not have an S-video
            Scott> in, then what you need is either an S-video to RCA
            Scott> converter, or an S-video to coaxial (cable/antenna)
            Scott> converter, or an RGB to RCA or coaxial converter.

            Okay, that makes sense. Just an adapter really because I
            have cables for both ends.

            Thanks,

            Marcus