Re: [NTO] Re: Kerio Personal Firewall

  • Dennis Cummins
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2003
      Hi Larry and Hugo,

      I have use Kerio for a long time now. I love it. It takes very little
      resources.

      There is soon to be a newer version out.

      Hugo, as for booting up in XP I do not have any problems with being
      slow.

      You might like to have a loot at the Bootvis tool.

      http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/BootVis.mspx

      On Friday, May 09, 2003 at 19:33, Larry Hamilton wrote:

      > Thanks Hugo,
      >
      > That is the way the other firewalls work that I have.
      >
      > I saw that it has not been updated in about a year, so I decided not to
      > download it.
      >
      > I will keep it in mind on the back burner.
      >
      > Overall, I am satisfied with Outpost.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > hugo_paulissen wrote:
      > >> Has anyone had any experience with Kerio Personal Firewall?
      > >>

      > > Hi Larry,
      > >
      > > I do. I run it on my Windows XP machine at home, for about eight
      > > months or so, and after settings the rules (which is done quite easily
      > > -every once in a while if a new program tries to connect from or to your
      > > machine you are prompted to add a rule or not) you will not notice much
      > > of it. I cannot compare it to other firewalls though (Outpost seems to be
      > > a good one), but I never found the courage, or need, to test another one.
      > >
      > > I had some problems in the beginning with the automatic update of my
      > > virus-definition files (I do it every night), but I have that resolved
      > > now. I was forced to switch the firewall off before the actual
      > > downloading of the file could take place; I think a tweak to the rule did
      > > the trick. For novice users (like me, at least in this domain) it is
      > > quite useable, and I think it has enough configuration-options for
      > > advanced users as well.
      > >
      > > Starting up takes some time, but I guess this is what happens with all of
      > > these tools.
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Hugo

      Dennis