Re: [NTO] RE: [NTB] Question to Christopher

  • Lloyd
    Message 1 of 10 , May 9, 2003
      Hi Christopher,

      I was just joining you in levity. As far as bad grammar, I think most of it
      comes, as in my case, from ignorance. Another reason poor grammar gets to
      the internet is from people trying to juggle three or four languages, each
      with its own set of grammatical rules. As far as typographical errors, I
      understand that. I even understand it in my name.

      Since we don't know each other, I would not know you were that fastidious
      with your use of language. If you would like, I will publicly apologize.

      Lloyd
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2003
        Lloyd,

        Hi there ... no problem! Let's move on to things of greater
        merit.

        I apologize for the misspelling of your name (you got me
        there), even though I re-read the message before hitting "Send".
        That was a typographical error on my part.

        Thanks for the follow up ... no hard feelings on my part.
        Gee, wonder what happened to poor ol' Jody. Have not heard from
        him on this one. I think he is hiding. That is O.K.

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...

        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2003
          Hi Chris, :)

          > I sincerely hope no ill-will was received by either yourself
          >or Jody.

          No thin skin around here. :) I gotta be tough and able to take
          it as much as I get in the doghouse. You might have read that I
          lost 50% of the use of my left hand. I was trying to get out of
          the doghouse and she stomped on my hand. Why I married a
          Yankee I know not. :)

          American by birth,
          Southern by the Grace of God! :)

          c ya,
          jody

          I can only please one person a day.
          Today is obviously not your day.
          Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
          http://www.clean-funnies.com
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2003
            Jody,

            Someone once told me that "opposites attract" is God's little joke on us.

            Larry

            Message 5 of 10 , May 12, 2003
              Hi Larry,

              :-)

              >Someone once told me that "opposites attract" is God's little joke on us.
              >
              >Larry
              >
              >> I gotta be tough and able to take it as much as I get in the
              >> doghouse. You might have read that I lost 50% of the use of my
              >> left hand. I was trying to get out of the doghouse and she
              >> stomped on my hand. Why I married a Yankee I know not. :)
              >>
              >> American by birth,
              >> Southern by the Grace of God! :)

              See ya in the funnies!

              http://www.clean-funnies.com

              you missed a good joke!
              Message 6 of 10 , May 12, 2003
                Hi List,

                >:-)

                Sorry about the extra post - thought I was replying in private eMail.

              • Dean Martineau
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 9, 2003
                  Hi. I use Eudora, not one of those Outlook programs, and don't open
                  attachments from unfamiliar places or that weren't expected or of fully
                  known content. Though I own Kaspersky Antivirus, I don't always have it
                  installed since I figure, for the reasons mentioned above, that i am not
                  likely to contract and redistribute a virus. Nonetheless, I saw a message
                  come in that was obviously a virus carrier. I deleted the attachment, but
                  was told by somebody in my Eudora address book that I had sent him the
                  virus. I have now reinstalled KAV and done a scan with it, but I'm
                  perplexed. How does this virus propagate itself? I'm surprised it can use
                  my Eudora address book. It's the W32.Bugbear.B.Dam virus. Any
                  enlightenment, or pointers to enlightening sites for us non-Outlook users
                  would be appreciated.

                  Dean
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 9, 2003
                    Dean,

                    I too use Eudora and one of the many reasons I do is that many of the email type virii are written expressly for Outlook and Outlook Express since 99% of Windows users use one or the other.

                    HOWEVER, as you just found out, that is not always the case.

                    Since I dislike the slowness of all AV's, I have mine set to check all files when they are opened (actually just before they are opened). This helps system speed and catches the little buggers before they can do any damage.

                    I also use CA's EZ Armor Antivirus instead of Norton or McAffee for the same reason. It isn't as well known as the others so most of the virii creators don't try to defeat it. EZ Armor also has a email protection package with it.

                    The only time I have gotten virii that weren't immediately identified was when I had my AV turned off for some reason.

                    You can go to the following link and find out how these virii work.

                    http://my-etrust.com/?WebRefferalAffililate=OV00000001

                    Regards,

                    Jim

                    At 10:16 PM 6/9/2003 -0700, you wrote:
                    >Hi. I use Eudora, not one of those Outlook programs, and don't open
                    >attachments from unfamiliar places or that weren't expected or of fully
                    >known content. Though I own Kaspersky Antivirus, I don't always have it
                    >installed since I figure, for the reasons mentioned above, that i am not
                    >likely to contract and redistribute a virus. Nonetheless, I saw a message
                    >come in that was obviously a virus carrier. I deleted the attachment, but
                    >was told by somebody in my Eudora address book that I had sent him the
                    >virus. I have now reinstalled KAV and done a scan with it, but I'm
                    >perplexed. How does this virus propagate itself? I'm surprised it can use
                    >my Eudora address book. It's the W32.Bugbear.B.Dam virus. Any
                    >enlightenment, or pointers to enlightening sites for us non-Outlook users
                    >would be appreciated.
                  • Mark Partous
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 11, 2003
                      Hello Jim,

                      JH> I too use Eudora and one of the many reasons I do is that many of
                      JH> the email type virii are written expressly for Outlook and Outlook
                      JH> Express since 99% of Windows users use one or the other.

                      JH> HOWEVER, as you just found out, that is not always the case.

                      Another link where one can read what Bugbear.B does:
                      http://www.nod32.com/msgs/bugbearb.htm

                      ,------/ this is a part of that text \----
                      | To find the new addressees/recipients of the infected e-mails, the worm
                      | searches through files with the following extensions: .ODS, .MMF, .NCH, .
                      | MBX, .EML, .TBB and .DBX. A tricky feature of this worm allows it to
                      | append to existing e-mails and/or send itself by means of resending e-mails
                      | that had been sent in the past. What is especially tricky is its ability
                      | to pretend being sent as a reply to the e-mail found.
                      `-----8<-------

                      MBX: Eudora
                      TBB: The Bat!

                      All attempts 'till now have failed:
                      1) Files renamed by ZoneAlarm
                      2) Intercepted bij NOD32

                      Even if that would have failed, there was still PC-Cillin...

                      I don't know about Eudora, but in The Bat!, even if the virus would have made
                      it as an attachment, it still can't be triggered automatically, whithout a
                      manual intervention (as possible in OE & Outlook).

                      --
                      Best Wishes,
                      Mark