Re: [NTO] changing port name of a serial port

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      Dean:

      Just curious: -- *bigger* --- *slower* ?

      Aside from possible driver incompatabilities with older hardware which are
      becoming less of an issue now that hardware manufacturer's are getting
      caught up ... My experience with having upgraded a P-II 267 mhz system
      (196MB RAM) from Win98 to Win2K has been nothing less than fantastic.

      Instead of having to pay careful attention to resource utilization (and the
      number of programs in use), having to reboot four or five times a day and
      getting frequent blue screens, with the same memory I can run many more
      programs simultaneously, recover without rebooting from almost all errors
      and reboot only when having installed new software that requires it - most
      don't.

      I haven't had the chance (or money :-( ) to experiment with WinXP but
      everything I've read suggests that it is as good as (probably moderately
      better) than Win2K.

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        Hi Alec,

        I'll second that. After switching to Win2k then WinXP I will never
        miss ol' Win98.

        DA

        Alec Burgess wrote:

        > Dean:
        >
        > Just curious: -- *bigger* --- *slower* ?
        >
        > Aside from possible driver incompatabilities with older hardware which are
        > becoming less of an issue now that hardware manufacturer's are getting
        > caught up ... My experience with having upgraded a P-II 267 mhz system
        > (196MB RAM) from Win98 to Win2K has been nothing less than fantastic.
        >
        > Instead of having to pay careful attention to resource utilization (and the
        > number of programs in use), having to reboot four or five times a day and
        > getting frequent blue screens, with the same memory I can run many more
        > programs simultaneously, recover without rebooting from almost all errors
        > and reboot only when having installed new software that requires it - most
        > don't.
        >
        > I haven't had the chance (or money :-( ) to experiment with WinXP but
        > everything I've read suggests that it is as good as (probably moderately
        > better) than Win2K.

      • Ozkan Taskiran
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2003