Re: [NTO] Re: keyring drives

  • RS
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
      John,

      At 04:34 PM 04/30/03 -0000 you wrote:

      >Thanks RS, that was an interesting article..

      Thanks for letting me know you found it interesting. Other times I'd wanted to post links to other news I thought important, I restrained myself, thinking "Oh, well, others might just not care about it ..." --- But the truth is, I also enjoy most of the off topic stuff and links that are posted on this list.

      >It got me to wondering
      >about the xD picture cards I use for my digital camera, the card reader I
      >have for those picture cards functions as another drive on the computer..
      >Somewhat similar to the way those keyrings drives seem to be.. And it
      >works as a general purpose removable storage device.. With two
      >differences, one being I have to have the reader driver installed in each
      >computer I want to transfer files to/from.. Which is a disadvantage when
      >compared to the keyring drive.. And two, unlike the keyring drive which
      >(if I read this correctly) only supports 16 mb of storage at the moment.
      >The xD picture cards will hold at least 128 mb of storage, and I believe
      >soon, if not already, 256 mb.. All on a little card about the size of a
      >postage stamp..

      I think it said sizes go up to 1 Gig. And it gave me the impression that those might cost about 100 pounds.

      Anyway, we won't have to wait long to find out. They might already be out there. I haven't been shopping lately, so I don't know.

      >I don't plan to use my xD cards for transferring files, but it's nice to know I can if I want to..

      That's very cool.

      Regards,

      RS
    • DA
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        Hi All,

        I already bought a 256 meg keyring. About $120.00 US.
        So this size is readily available. I think the prices
        on these things will drop pretty quickly as soon as the
        competition arrives in force. There's supposedly a model
        that will take standard Memory Stick, MMC or SD card.
        It's called a JumpDrive Trio. Here's URL:

        http://www.lexarmedia.com/jumpdrive/index.html

        Plug n Play on late OSs seems to work Ok. No complaints
        yet. I have high hopes for this item, because I hate
        burning a CD for just 15-20 megs and I have a high
        capacity floppy, but the "other guy" never has one so
        I can't use it for data transfer.

        DA