changing port name of a serial port

  • dean martineau
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003
      Ihave now bought the Ibm Thinkpad 600X mentioned in an earlier thread, and
      love it. However, as is always the case, all is not perfect. I need to
      use the serial port to transfer data to an old-fashioned pda. The thinkpad
      has a com port, one of my criteria for buying the laptop, but the port is
      designated as comm5. I have Hyperterminal Private Edition and TeraTerm
      Pro, but both those terminal programs only support as high as comm4. Can
      anybody suggest a workaround which will make the comm port accessible? I'm
      using Win98 and have no other reason to put a bigger, slower operating
      system on here.

      Thanks in advance.

      Dean