keyring drives

  • RS
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2003
      Hi All,

      I thought some of you might find this interesting:

      RS
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
        Thanks RS, that was an interesting article.. It got me to wondering about the xD picture cards I use for my digital camera, the card reader I have for those picture cards functions as another drive on the computer.. Somewhat similar to the way those keyrings drives seem to be.. And it works as a general purpose removable storage device.. With two differences, one being I have to have the reader driver installed in each computer I want to transfer files to/from.. Which is a disadvantage when compared to the keyring drive.. And two, unlike the keyring drive which (if I read this correctly) only supports 16 mb of storage at the moment. The xD picture cards will hold at least 128 mb of storage, and I believe soon, if not already, 256 mb.. All on a little card about the size of a postage stamp..

        I don't plan to use my xD cards for transferring files, but it's nice to know I can if I want to..

        John

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, RS <ptools@w...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I thought some of you might find this interesting:
        >
        > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2981497.stm
        >

        > Regards,
        >
        > RS
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
          Hey John,

          I use the Olympus SmartMedia card (64 mb) and the cable that came with the
          camera for transferring files between my desktop and laptop for files over
          1.4 mb. The problem comes when I don't erase the file and my husband
          catches me when he's transferring pix from the card to his computer. He
          wants to know how the camera managed to shoot a .zip or .exe file <G>.

          Works well until we breakdown and network all these computers...
          Julie

          At 1634 04/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
          >Thanks RS, that was an interesting article.. It got me to wondering about
          >the xD picture cards I use for my digital camera, the card reader I have
          >for those picture cards functions as another drive on the
          >computer.. Somewhat similar to the way those keyrings drives seem to
          >be.. And it works as a general purpose removable storage device.. With
          >two differences, one being I have to have the reader driver installed in
          >each computer I want to transfer files to/from.. Which is a disadvantage
          >when compared to the keyring drive.. And two, unlike the keyring drive
          >which (if I read this correctly) only supports 16 mb of storage at the
          >moment. The xD picture cards will hold at least 128 mb of storage, and I
          >believe soon, if not already, 256 mb.. All on a little card about the
          >size of a postage stamp..
          >
          >I don't plan to use my xD cards for transferring files, but it's nice to
          >know I can if I want to..
          >
          >John
        • RS
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 30, 2003
            John,

            At 04:34 PM 04/30/03 -0000 you wrote:

            >Thanks RS, that was an interesting article..

            Thanks for letting me know you found it interesting. Other times I'd wanted to post links to other news I thought important, I restrained myself, thinking "Oh, well, others might just not care about it ..." --- But the truth is, I also enjoy most of the off topic stuff and links that are posted on this list.

            >It got me to wondering
            >about the xD picture cards I use for my digital camera, the card reader I
            >have for those picture cards functions as another drive on the computer..
            >Somewhat similar to the way those keyrings drives seem to be.. And it
            >works as a general purpose removable storage device.. With two
            >differences, one being I have to have the reader driver installed in each
            >computer I want to transfer files to/from.. Which is a disadvantage when
            >compared to the keyring drive.. And two, unlike the keyring drive which
            >(if I read this correctly) only supports 16 mb of storage at the moment.
            >The xD picture cards will hold at least 128 mb of storage, and I believe
            >soon, if not already, 256 mb.. All on a little card about the size of a
            >postage stamp..

            I think it said sizes go up to 1 Gig. And it gave me the impression that those might cost about 100 pounds.

            Anyway, we won't have to wait long to find out. They might already be out there. I haven't been shopping lately, so I don't know.

            >I don't plan to use my xD cards for transferring files, but it's nice to know I can if I want to..

            That's very cool.

            Regards,

            RS
          • DA
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1 12:18 AM
              Hi All,

              I already bought a 256 meg keyring. About $120.00 US.
              So this size is readily available. I think the prices
              on these things will drop pretty quickly as soon as the
              competition arrives in force. There's supposedly a model
              that will take standard Memory Stick, MMC or SD card.
              It's called a JumpDrive Trio. Here's URL:

              http://www.lexarmedia.com/jumpdrive/index.html

              Plug n Play on late OSs seems to work Ok. No complaints
              yet. I have high hopes for this item, because I hate
              burning a CD for just 15-20 megs and I have a high
              capacity floppy, but the "other guy" never has one so
              I can't use it for data transfer.

              DA