Re: [NTO] www.fookes.com

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2003
      Hi Larry,

      >> I found my "problem." <bg> I tried out "Larry's Outpost"
      >> firewall and did not realize it had a built in ad blocker.
      >>
      >> Thanks for checking all!!!
      >
      >So now it's my fault? ;-)

      Yeppers, read my last post sir. :-)

      The two most common elements in the
      universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

      Thanks,
      I.B. Ignorant

      www.clean-funnies.com
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26, 2003
        Jody wrote:
        > Hi Mark and Others,
        >
        >> I checked six different pages on the site. All of them loaded
        >> quickly and appeared to be perfectly normal.
        >
        > Thanks again. It's all Larry Hamilton's fault. :-) haha
        >
        > ZoneAlarm does not do ad blocking where Outpost does and I luckily
        > stumbled across it in Outpost. ;)
        >
        > I had it all off in my browsers 'cause I sort of figured it was
        > ad blocking, but did not realize where/how it was doing it. The
        > Hamilton's fault for my ignorance! :)

        Just ask my wife, everything is my fault! ;-)

        I'm sure things that happened before I was born are probably my fault too.
        ;-)

        Larry
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 26, 2003
          Hi Melchior,

          Thanks for the information. Eric is aware of some HTML problems
          at our site and will be fixing them when he switches to CSS. I
          already suggested he not use the "ad-" in one of the columns,
          actually the squished one, because he was using the image to
          stretch/spread the width. Therefore, if the image was blocked or
          images turned off, one has about a 2" column. But hey, he's a
          programmer and I'm a Clipper; ain't got the time for proper HTML
          all in the first pass. I'm still converting from way back when... ;)
          ... and it's still Larry's fault! <g>

          Off to Fun Day at Church. :-)

          >Jody wrote:
          >> I found my "problem." <bg> I tried out "Larry's Outpost"
          >> firewall and did not realize it had a built in ad blocker.
          >
          >One should not use ads to design html!
          >
          >On (e.g.)
          ><http://www.fookes.com/notetab/index.html>http://www.fookes.com/notetab/index.html
          >the total width of the two content-columns
          >is 380 (!) pixel here...
          >
          >See screenshots at
          ><http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/torte/screens.htm>http://www.alphazwirbel.net/orp/torte/screens.htm
          >
          >The problem is your use of "width" for td:

          >Tis would make 98px PLUS 478px PLUS 100%
          >what cannot work - at least not in
          >standard-compliant browsers...
          >
          >Solution:
          >Give width="100%" to the table and none to
          >the last column:

          >Now you have what you want - with or without ads.
          >
          >Btw: I'm running Outpost too and I will never
          >shut it down because of a maldesigned page ;-)

          I turned off the ad blocker. I have NetCaptor do that. :)

          >Regards,
          >Melchior

          See ya in the funnies,
          Jody Adair, Prov. 15:15

          http://www.clean-funnies.com

        • alice ttlg - koyaanisqatsi
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 26, 2003
            On Saturday, April 26, 2003 10:04 AM, melchior prisi wrote:

            > The problem is your use of "width" for td:

            > Tis would make 98px PLUS 478px PLUS 100%
            > what cannot work - at least not in
            > standard-compliant browsers...
            >
            > Solution:
            > Give width="100%" to the table and none to
            > the last column:

            Actually, it would be better to give the last column a width of 99%,
            otherwise some browsers won't pay attention to the specific pixel
            widths and will widen the first two columns. But putting 99% on the
            last coumn forces it to use all remaining space, whatever that may be,
            based on the visitor's browser window and keeps the other two coumns
            at their specific pixel widths.

            So I suggest doing this instead:

            I do this on all my sites, so that the tables are liquid and don't
            leave huge blank spaces on one side of the page. If you want some
            white space around the table, you can make the table width 90% or 80%
            and then center it on the page.

            alice ttlg

            --
            Me, Blog/LJ, Links, Whatever:
            http://koyaa.nisqatsi.org/

            But the year had lost its meaning,
            And in intellectual chains
            I lost both love and loathing,
            Mured up in the wall of wisdom.
            - The Groundhog by Richard Eberhart
          • Mark Partous
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 26, 2003
              Hello Larry,

              Saturday, April 26, 2003, 5:16:49 PM, you wrote:

              LH> Just ask my wife, everything is my fault! ;-)

              LH> I'm sure things that happened before I was born are probably my fault too.
              LH> ;-)

              Probably??? You must be an optimist! :-)

              --
              Best Whishes,
              Mark
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 28, 2003
                Hi Alice and Others,

                Thanks for the discussion! I haven't had the time to look at
                Eric's code, but he did make an "emergency" fix so that the center
                column displays as wide as he intended instead of 75px or so when
                ad blocking was on in the default settings of Outpost.

                (Larry, tell your wife she is right ;) I just loss the use of 50%
                of my left hand for trying to get out of the dog house last week.
                I have to wear a brace for 4-7 months till the muscle & nerve heals.)