RE: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 5 6:54 AM
      Ed,

      Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
      resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
      Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
      in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

      I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
      www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
      did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
      running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
      trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
      One never knows.

      Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
      CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
      people off guard.

      If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
      Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
      select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
      "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
      control.

      I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
      to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
      suspect.

      I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
      Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
      tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
      indispensable.

      Regards,
      Christopher J. Spilker
      mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 6 5:01 PM
        Ed,

        One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
        run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
        computer.

        I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
        if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

        Larry
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 6 7:51 PM
          Thanks, Larry,
          I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
          the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
          with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
          the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 7 1:07 PM
            Ed,

            Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
            worm or virus of some type.

            Jim

            At 02:09 PM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
            >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
            >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 7 1:41 PM
              Jim,
              I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
              thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???