Re: [NTO] creating a dual boot system.

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
      Paul,

      I've done this sort of putzing so many times that I cannot count. In fact,
      just today I was putting my daughter's computer back together (2nd power
      supply shot in a couple of months) replaced the motherboard, power supply
      and video board..she has a 3.1GB C-Drive and a 1GB - D-Drive... now it was
      good enough before
      ...but upon putting it all back together... Win98 was not liking all the
      changes.. one of which, I would not see the CD Rom drive... the BIOS and the
      SYSTEM saw it but '98 didnt... so I finally just said to heck with it...

      Set the BIOS up to boot from the CDRom and loaded 2000... yes she has 2000
      and 98 both running on a 3GB drive.... and its working great.. .an PII /
      333 with 128MB of RAM. However, these are tiny drives in today's world and
      because they are small... they are also slow... and that is a long way
      around to get to my point (and I do have a point but being a woman, you
      hafta listen to the WHOLE story I have to tell) hehehe

      Bottom line, if you are going to be repartitioning and loading new OS's 'n
      such you will have to reinstall a lot of your programs in order for the new
      OS to recognize them. SO.......my suggestion would be to do the following:

      Make your 40GB drive your Master and the 6.4GB your Slave HDD. The 40GB
      will be a much faster drive, in which case your OS will run more smoothly.

      Make a 6GB partition - load all of your OS and "program files" to that
      directory... anything that is SYSTEM related, like drivers 'n such and your
      Office Apps... anything which is major... THAT you can backup

      ALL other applicaitons you can install to any other partition or your
      smaller drive.....

      Remember, the reason is simply....speed. Another option is to put your
      WinXP on the 40GB first partition, the C drive......and then maybe partition
      off the 6gb drive in half and load Win98 on what would then be the D drive.

      The 40GB you can partiion off an OS partition maybe 6GB with all essentials
      and then leave the remaining 34 intact or even just make it 2 - 17GB drives
      or 2/10's and a 7 GB... that all depends on what type of things you are
      interested in. Keep the 7GB drive as strictly your downloaded files or
      something...

      well that's my quarter's worth...

      I'm shupping now.... thanks for taking the time to pay attention... I've
      been thru this no less than ONE-BAZILLION times.. mostly ... just-cuz

      I get bored and decided to 'clean things up' as it were and just go FORMAT..
      but I don't use the Utils, I use Fdisk .. .I'm a DOS BABY :)

      Later...
      Laurie

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
        Saturday, April 5, 2003,05:44:16,paul wrote :

        i wasn't aware of the pm option you mention but i'll certainly be checking it out. someone
        told me that win 98 had to be installed before win xp when creating a dual boot set up but
        perhaps pm overcomes that issue.

        --------------------End of original message--------------------

        Hi Paul,

        Your friend is right. You should first install 98 and XP after for
        dual boot system. What I described is multi boot, maybe :)
        This way you will have two OS unaware of each other. You can backup,
        format each of them without harming other one. And you can have up to 4
        different windows OS in the same drive. Make those rescue diskettes of
        PM and BM. They will be your best friend If you go into a trouble.
        You can use them in dos prompt to activate,delete,format,resize a
        partition just like in windows (except wizards of course).

        Good luck

        Ozkan
      • paul
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
          hi laurie,

          thanx for the detailed account of your own experiences and how you lived to tell the tale!

          re. the drive speed thang - both my drives are of the 5400rpm variety. are you saying the
          40gb will be faster simply because it's bigger?

          re. the reinstallation of programs - as i understand it, i will have install each program
          twice to register them with both o/s's. does this mean that i will have to create two
          distinct program folders, or can i overwrite the first installation with the second?

          cheers,

          paul

          p.s. of course, you're correct about my having to listen to the whole of your story... but
          as a man i reserve my own inalienable right to simply nod and look interested, while
          actually thinking about tomorrow's big match and whether it's time to trim the hedge! ;-)

          > I've done this sort of putzing so many times that I cannot count. In fact,
          > just today I was putting my daughter's computer back together (2nd power
          > supply shot in a couple of months) replaced the motherboard, power supply
          > and video board..she has a 3.1GB C-Drive and a 1GB - D-Drive... now it was
          > good enough before
          > ...but upon putting it all back together... Win98 was not liking all the
          > changes.. one of which, I would not see the CD Rom drive... the BIOS and the
          > SYSTEM saw it but '98 didnt... so I finally just said to heck with it...
          >
          > Set the BIOS up to boot from the CDRom and loaded 2000... yes she has 2000
          > and 98 both running on a 3GB drive.... and its working great.. .an PII /
          > 333 with 128MB of RAM. However, these are tiny drives in today's world and
          > because they are small... they are also slow... and that is a long way
          > around to get to my point (and I do have a point but being a woman, you
          > hafta listen to the WHOLE story I have to tell) hehehe
          >
          > Bottom line, if you are going to be repartitioning and loading new OS's 'n
          > such you will have to reinstall a lot of your programs in order for the new
          > OS to recognize them. SO.......my suggestion would be to do the following:
          >
          > Make your 40GB drive your Master and the 6.4GB your Slave HDD. The 40GB
          > will be a much faster drive, in which case your OS will run more smoothly.
          >
          > Make a 6GB partition - load all of your OS and "program files" to that
          > directory... anything that is SYSTEM related, like drivers 'n such and your
          > Office Apps... anything which is major... THAT you can backup
          >
          > ALL other applicaitons you can install to any other partition or your
          > smaller drive.....
          >
          > Remember, the reason is simply....speed. Another option is to put your
          > WinXP on the 40GB first partition, the C drive......and then maybe partition
          > off the 6gb drive in half and load Win98 on what would then be the D drive.
          >
          > The 40GB you can partiion off an OS partition maybe 6GB with all essentials
          > and then leave the remaining 34 intact or even just make it 2 - 17GB drives
          > or 2/10's and a 7 GB... that all depends on what type of things you are
          > interested in. Keep the 7GB drive as strictly your downloaded files or
          > something...
          >
          > well that's my quarter's worth...
          >
          > I'm shupping now.... thanks for taking the time to pay attention... I've
          > been thru this no less than ONE-BAZILLION times.. mostly ... just-cuz
          >
          > I get bored and decided to 'clean things up' as it were and just go FORMAT..
          > but I don't use the Utils, I use Fdisk .. .I'm a DOS BABY :)
          >
          > Later...
          > Laurie

        • paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
            thanx again, ozkan.

            the diskettes have duly been created! ;-)

            paul

            > Saturday, April 5, 2003,05:44:16,paul wrote :
            >
            > i wasn't aware of the pm option you mention but i'll certainly be checking it out.
            someone
            > told me that win 98 had to be installed before win xp when creating a dual boot set up
            but
            > perhaps pm overcomes that issue.
            >
            > --------------------End of original message--------------------
            >
            > Hi Paul,
            >
            > Your friend is right. You should first install 98 and XP after for
            > dual boot system. What I described is multi boot, maybe :)
            > This way you will have two OS unaware of each other. You can backup,
            > format each of them without harming other one. And you can have up to 4
            > different windows OS in the same drive. Make those rescue diskettes of
            > PM and BM. They will be your best friend If you go into a trouble.
            > You can use them in dos prompt to activate,delete,format,resize a
            > partition just like in windows (except wizards of course).
            >
            > Good luck
            >

            > Ozkan

          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
              Hi Paul,

              > but as a man i reserve my own inalienable right to simply nod and
              > look interested, while actually thinking about tomorrow's big
              > match and whether it's time to trim the hedge! ;-)

              Ah! Another true Englishman! You won't be watching the Boat Race, then!
              :-)

              Greg
            • paul
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
                hi greg,

                > > but as a man i reserve my own inalienable right to simply nod and
                > > look interested, while actually thinking about tomorrow's big
                > > match and whether it's time to trim the hedge! ;-)
                >
                > Ah! Another true Englishman! You won't be watching the Boat Race, then!
                > :-)
                >
                > Greg

                that was my intention but i've just been alerted to some paint that's drying!

                paul