Re: [NTO] creating a dual boot system.

  • paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
      > Paul I had a computer with 3gb on C drive and I installed a 15 gb D drive.
      >
      > I did what you are talking about and it worked great,
      > I was using windows 98 and only had 64 mb ram.
      >
      > That set up would still be working fine for me,
      > but I needed more ram and the mother board would not handle it.
      >
      > I did partition the D drive into three drives, because the computer would
      > not handle a large drive in one partition. That turned out to really fit
      > my needs.
      >

      > Some folks say they get along o.k. with two boot systems, but most return to
      > using only one.
      >
      > Mary Hudson

      i will myself at some point but there are certain things i can only do under win 98, as
      things stand. thanx for the response.
    • paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
        > Friday, April 4, 2003,19:39:35,paul wrote :
        >
        > hi all,
        >
        > pc details -
        > windows xp
        > dell pentium II 350mhz
        > 384mb ram
        > c: drive 6.4gb
        > d: drive 40gb
        >
        > i'm looking to reformat and partition my c: drive and install win 98 and win xp to
        create
        > a dual boot set up. in addition, i intend reinstalling all the programs that currently
        sit
        > on c: drive into their own partition on d: drive. in the other d: drive partition, i'll
        > put all of my data files.
        >
        > i've got partition magic 7 plus magic boot to help me accomplish this task.
        >
        > does my proposed set up which means using a 6.4gb disk solely to house the 2 operating
        > systems seem reasonable? i want to keep everything as clean and as stable as possible.
        >
        > i've never done anything like this before and would welcome any words of wisdom (or just
        > plain old advice).
        >

        > --------------------End of original message--------------------
        >
        > Hi paul,
        > Run PM. Go Tasks--Install another operating system. So easy.
        > Take space from XP. Ready your 98 disket and cd-rom. Activate
        > 98 partition by PM. Reboot, install 98. 6.4 GB is enough but I
        > would choose fastest drive to install system. Put your programs,
        > date to drive D. You can run most programs without actually
        > installing. This way OSes will be invisible to each other. Use
        > your boot program to choose OS at boot time. But can you stand 98
        > after using XP :)
        >
        > Ozkan

        i wasn't aware of the pm option you mention but i'll certainly be checking it out. someone
        told me that win 98 had to be installed before win xp when creating a dual boot set up but
        perhaps pm overcomes that issue.

        re. using win 98 - i have no choice. i've been archiving material using packetcd these
        past few years and it doesn't work under xp. also, mitsumi didn't bother making an xp
        driver for it my cd-r. again, i need win 98 until this area is sorted out.

        many thanx, ozkan.

        paul
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2003
          Paul,

          I've done this sort of putzing so many times that I cannot count. In fact,
          just today I was putting my daughter's computer back together (2nd power
          supply shot in a couple of months) replaced the motherboard, power supply
          and video board..she has a 3.1GB C-Drive and a 1GB - D-Drive... now it was
          good enough before
          ...but upon putting it all back together... Win98 was not liking all the
          changes.. one of which, I would not see the CD Rom drive... the BIOS and the
          SYSTEM saw it but '98 didnt... so I finally just said to heck with it...

          Set the BIOS up to boot from the CDRom and loaded 2000... yes she has 2000
          and 98 both running on a 3GB drive.... and its working great.. .an PII /
          333 with 128MB of RAM. However, these are tiny drives in today's world and
          because they are small... they are also slow... and that is a long way
          around to get to my point (and I do have a point but being a woman, you
          hafta listen to the WHOLE story I have to tell) hehehe

          Bottom line, if you are going to be repartitioning and loading new OS's 'n
          such you will have to reinstall a lot of your programs in order for the new
          OS to recognize them. SO.......my suggestion would be to do the following:

          Make your 40GB drive your Master and the 6.4GB your Slave HDD. The 40GB
          will be a much faster drive, in which case your OS will run more smoothly.

          Make a 6GB partition - load all of your OS and "program files" to that
          directory... anything that is SYSTEM related, like drivers 'n such and your
          Office Apps... anything which is major... THAT you can backup

          ALL other applicaitons you can install to any other partition or your
          smaller drive.....

          Remember, the reason is simply....speed. Another option is to put your
          WinXP on the 40GB first partition, the C drive......and then maybe partition
          off the 6gb drive in half and load Win98 on what would then be the D drive.

          The 40GB you can partiion off an OS partition maybe 6GB with all essentials
          and then leave the remaining 34 intact or even just make it 2 - 17GB drives
          or 2/10's and a 7 GB... that all depends on what type of things you are
          interested in. Keep the 7GB drive as strictly your downloaded files or
          something...

          well that's my quarter's worth...

          I'm shupping now.... thanks for taking the time to pay attention... I've
          been thru this no less than ONE-BAZILLION times.. mostly ... just-cuz

          I get bored and decided to 'clean things up' as it were and just go FORMAT..
          but I don't use the Utils, I use Fdisk .. .I'm a DOS BABY :)

          Later...
          Laurie

          > i'm looking to reformat and partition my c: drive and install win 98 and
          win xp to create
          > a dual boot set up. in addition, i intend reinstalling all the programs
          that currently sit
          > on c: drive into their own partition on d: drive. in the other d: drive
          partition, i'll
          > put all of my data files.
          >
          > i've got partition magic 7 plus magic boot to help me accomplish this
          task.

          > does my proposed set up which means using a 6.4gb disk solely to house the
          2 operating
          > systems seem reasonable? i want to keep everything as clean and as stable
          as possible.

          > i've never done anything like this before and would welcome any words of
          wisdom (or just
          > plain old advice).
          >
          > tia,
          >
          > paul

        • Ozkan Taskiran
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
            Saturday, April 5, 2003,05:44:16,paul wrote :

            i wasn't aware of the pm option you mention but i'll certainly be checking it out. someone
            told me that win 98 had to be installed before win xp when creating a dual boot set up but
            perhaps pm overcomes that issue.

            --------------------End of original message--------------------

            Hi Paul,

            Your friend is right. You should first install 98 and XP after for
            dual boot system. What I described is multi boot, maybe :)
            This way you will have two OS unaware of each other. You can backup,
            format each of them without harming other one. And you can have up to 4
            different windows OS in the same drive. Make those rescue diskettes of
            PM and BM. They will be your best friend If you go into a trouble.
            You can use them in dos prompt to activate,delete,format,resize a
            partition just like in windows (except wizards of course).

            Good luck

            Ozkan
          • paul
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
              hi laurie,

              thanx for the detailed account of your own experiences and how you lived to tell the tale!

              re. the drive speed thang - both my drives are of the 5400rpm variety. are you saying the
              40gb will be faster simply because it's bigger?

              re. the reinstallation of programs - as i understand it, i will have install each program
              twice to register them with both o/s's. does this mean that i will have to create two
              distinct program folders, or can i overwrite the first installation with the second?

              cheers,

              paul

              p.s. of course, you're correct about my having to listen to the whole of your story... but
              as a man i reserve my own inalienable right to simply nod and look interested, while
              actually thinking about tomorrow's big match and whether it's time to trim the hedge! ;-)

              > I've done this sort of putzing so many times that I cannot count. In fact,
              > just today I was putting my daughter's computer back together (2nd power
              > supply shot in a couple of months) replaced the motherboard, power supply
              > and video board..she has a 3.1GB C-Drive and a 1GB - D-Drive... now it was
              > good enough before
              > ...but upon putting it all back together... Win98 was not liking all the
              > changes.. one of which, I would not see the CD Rom drive... the BIOS and the
              > SYSTEM saw it but '98 didnt... so I finally just said to heck with it...
              >
              > Set the BIOS up to boot from the CDRom and loaded 2000... yes she has 2000
              > and 98 both running on a 3GB drive.... and its working great.. .an PII /
              > 333 with 128MB of RAM. However, these are tiny drives in today's world and
              > because they are small... they are also slow... and that is a long way
              > around to get to my point (and I do have a point but being a woman, you
              > hafta listen to the WHOLE story I have to tell) hehehe
              >
              > Bottom line, if you are going to be repartitioning and loading new OS's 'n
              > such you will have to reinstall a lot of your programs in order for the new
              > OS to recognize them. SO.......my suggestion would be to do the following:
              >
              > Make your 40GB drive your Master and the 6.4GB your Slave HDD. The 40GB
              > will be a much faster drive, in which case your OS will run more smoothly.
              >
              > Make a 6GB partition - load all of your OS and "program files" to that
              > directory... anything that is SYSTEM related, like drivers 'n such and your
              > Office Apps... anything which is major... THAT you can backup
              >
              > ALL other applicaitons you can install to any other partition or your
              > smaller drive.....
              >
              > Remember, the reason is simply....speed. Another option is to put your
              > WinXP on the 40GB first partition, the C drive......and then maybe partition
              > off the 6gb drive in half and load Win98 on what would then be the D drive.
              >
              > The 40GB you can partiion off an OS partition maybe 6GB with all essentials
              > and then leave the remaining 34 intact or even just make it 2 - 17GB drives
              > or 2/10's and a 7 GB... that all depends on what type of things you are
              > interested in. Keep the 7GB drive as strictly your downloaded files or
              > something...
              >
              > well that's my quarter's worth...
              >
              > I'm shupping now.... thanks for taking the time to pay attention... I've
              > been thru this no less than ONE-BAZILLION times.. mostly ... just-cuz
              >
              > I get bored and decided to 'clean things up' as it were and just go FORMAT..
              > but I don't use the Utils, I use Fdisk .. .I'm a DOS BABY :)
              >
              > Later...
              > Laurie

            • paul
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2003
                thanx again, ozkan.

                the diskettes have duly been created! ;-)

                paul

                > Saturday, April 5, 2003,05:44:16,paul wrote :
                >
                > i wasn't aware of the pm option you mention but i'll certainly be checking it out.
                someone
                > told me that win 98 had to be installed before win xp when creating a dual boot set up
                but
                > perhaps pm overcomes that issue.
                >
                > --------------------End of original message--------------------
                >
                > Hi Paul,
                >
                > Your friend is right. You should first install 98 and XP after for
                > dual boot system. What I described is multi boot, maybe :)
                > This way you will have two OS unaware of each other. You can backup,
                > format each of them without harming other one. And you can have up to 4
                > different windows OS in the same drive. Make those rescue diskettes of
                > PM and BM. They will be your best friend If you go into a trouble.
                > You can use them in dos prompt to activate,delete,format,resize a
                > partition just like in windows (except wizards of course).
                >
                > Good luck
                >

                > Ozkan

              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
                  Hi Paul,

                  > but as a man i reserve my own inalienable right to simply nod and
                  > look interested, while actually thinking about tomorrow's big
                  > match and whether it's time to trim the hedge! ;-)

                  Ah! Another true Englishman! You won't be watching the Boat Race, then!
                  :-)

                  Greg
                • paul
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 6, 2003
                    hi greg,

                    > > but as a man i reserve my own inalienable right to simply nod and
                    > > look interested, while actually thinking about tomorrow's big
                    > > match and whether it's time to trim the hedge! ;-)
                    >
                    > Ah! Another true Englishman! You won't be watching the Boat Race, then!
                    > :-)
                    >
                    > Greg

                    that was my intention but i've just been alerted to some paint that's drying!

                    paul