Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
      running in the background when I am in safe mode.
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Ed Brown wrote:

        >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
        >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

        Ed,

        Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
        something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
        virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
        constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
        version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
        properly until the virus is disabled.

        If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
        harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
        firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
        net I get no indication.

        Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
        the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
        happening.

        hrs
      • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
          Ed,

          Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
          resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
          Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
          in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

          I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
          www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
          did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
          running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
          trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
          One never knows.

          Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
          CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
          people off guard.

          If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
          Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
          select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
          "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
          control.

          I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
          to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
          suspect.

          I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
          Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
          tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
          indispensable.

          Regards,
          Christopher J. Spilker
          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
            Ed,

            One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
            run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
            computer.

            I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
            if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

            Larry
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
              Thanks, Larry,
              I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
              the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
              with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
              the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                Ed,

                Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                worm or virus of some type.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                  Jim,
                  I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                  thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???