Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      Ed,

      Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
      and select TOOLS.

      Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

      You should have 2 boxes to check.

      Automatically fix file system errors

      AND

      Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

      Pick BOTH and hit START.

      It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
      ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

      Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

      If it don't,

      THEN

      Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

      Jim

      At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
      >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Thanks, Jim,
        I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
          running in the background when I am in safe mode.
          Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
          and select TOOLS.

          Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

          You should have 2 boxes to check.

          Automatically fix file system errors

          AND

          Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

          Pick BOTH and hit START.

          It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
          ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

          Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

          If it don't,

          THEN

          Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

          Jim

          At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
          >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            Ed Brown wrote:

            >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
            >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

            Ed,

            Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
            something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
            virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
            constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
            version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
            properly until the virus is disabled.

            If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
            harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
            firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
            net I get no indication.

            Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
            the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
            happening.

            hrs
          • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
              Ed,

              Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
              resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
              Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
              in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

              I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
              www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
              did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
              running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
              trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
              One never knows.

              Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
              CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
              people off guard.

              If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
              Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
              select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
              "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
              control.

              I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
              to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
              suspect.

              I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
              Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
              tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
              indispensable.

              Regards,
              Christopher J. Spilker
              mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                Ed,

                One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                computer.

                I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                Larry
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                  Thanks, Larry,
                  I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                  the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                  with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                  the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                    Ed,

                    Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                    worm or virus of some type.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                      Jim,
                      I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                      thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???