Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      No, this is computer # 2 my main PC for the time being, I am building number
      three. I had problems with the Compaq which now has Mandrake 8.2 on it and
      the new one will have XP.
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Thanks I will try that. Could be my problem also. I tried again this
        morning shuting down everything but the clock. Still same, will try the
        safe mode.

        Mary

        From: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, April 04, 2003 07:14:03 AM
        To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

        I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
        delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
        to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
        because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
        Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
        program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
        that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
        512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
        Thanks,
        Ed

        ..

        Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/VygGAA/dkFolB/TM

        .

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          Ed,

          Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
          and select TOOLS.

          Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

          You should have 2 boxes to check.

          Automatically fix file system errors

          AND

          Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

          Pick BOTH and hit START.

          It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
          ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

          Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

          If it don't,

          THEN

          Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

          Jim

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            Thanks, Jim,
            I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
              Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
              running in the background when I am in safe mode.
              Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
              and select TOOLS.

              Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

              You should have 2 boxes to check.

              Automatically fix file system errors

              AND

              Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

              Pick BOTH and hit START.

              It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
              ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

              Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

              If it don't,

              THEN

              Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

              Jim

              At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
              >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                Ed Brown wrote:

                >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                Ed,

                Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
                something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
                virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
                constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
                version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
                properly until the virus is disabled.

                If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
                harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
                firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
                net I get no indication.

                Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
                the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
                happening.

                hrs
              • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
                  Ed,

                  Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
                  resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
                  Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
                  in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

                  I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
                  www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
                  did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
                  running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
                  trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
                  One never knows.

                  Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
                  CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
                  people off guard.

                  If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
                  Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
                  select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
                  "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
                  control.

                  I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
                  to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
                  suspect.

                  I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
                  Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
                  tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
                  indispensable.

                  Regards,
                  Christopher J. Spilker
                  mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                    Ed,

                    One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                    run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                    computer.

                    I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                    if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                    Larry
                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                      Thanks, Larry,
                      I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                      the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                      with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                      the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                        Ed,

                        Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                        worm or virus of some type.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                          Jim,
                          I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                          thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???