Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      No, this is computer # 2 my main PC for the time being, I am building number
      three. I had problems with the Compaq which now has Mandrake 8.2 on it and
      the new one will have XP.
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        I brought it up in the safe mode and finally got it to run. It found several
        errors and I had it repair them. I am still not sure if it will work from
        accessories or not. I will check it as soon as I finish a virus scan.
        From: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Friday, April 04, 2003 07:14:03 AM
        To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

        I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
        delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
        to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
        because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
        Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
        program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
        that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
        512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
        Thanks,
        Ed

        .

      • mahud
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          Thanks I will try that. Could be my problem also. I tried again this
          morning shuting down everything but the clock. Still same, will try the
          safe mode.

          Mary

          I brought it up in the safe mode and finally got it to run. It found several
          errors and I had it repair them. I am still not sure if it will work from
          accessories or not. I will check it as soon as I finish a virus scan.

          I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
          delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
          to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
          because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
          Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
          program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
          that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
          512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
          Thanks,
          Ed

          ..

          Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/VygGAA/dkFolB/TM

          .

        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            Ed,

            Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
            and select TOOLS.

            Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

            You should have 2 boxes to check.

            Automatically fix file system errors

            AND

            Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

            Pick BOTH and hit START.

            It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
            ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

            Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

            If it don't,

            THEN

            Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

            Jim

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
              Thanks, Jim,
              I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                running in the background when I am in safe mode.
                Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                and select TOOLS.

                Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                You should have 2 boxes to check.

                Automatically fix file system errors

                AND

                Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                Pick BOTH and hit START.

                It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                If it don't,

                THEN

                Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                Jim

                At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                  Ed Brown wrote:

                  >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                  >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                  Ed,

                  Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
                  something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
                  virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
                  constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
                  version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
                  properly until the virus is disabled.

                  If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
                  harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
                  firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
                  net I get no indication.

                  Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
                  the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
                  happening.

                  hrs
                • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
                    Ed,

                    Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
                    resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
                    Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
                    in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

                    I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
                    www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
                    did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
                    running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
                    trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
                    One never knows.

                    Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
                    CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
                    people off guard.

                    If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
                    Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
                    select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
                    "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
                    control.

                    I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
                    to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
                    suspect.

                    I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
                    Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
                    tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
                    indispensable.

                    Regards,
                    Christopher J. Spilker
                    mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                  • Larry Hamilton
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                      Ed,

                      One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                      run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                      computer.

                      I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                      if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                      Larry
                    • Ed Brown
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                        Thanks, Larry,
                        I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                        the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                        with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                        the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                          Ed,

                          Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                          worm or virus of some type.

                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                            Jim,
                            I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                            thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???