Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ozkan Taskiran
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      Friday, April 4, 2003,16:13:53,Ed wrote :

      I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

      --------------------End of original message--------------------
      So you could install Windows after Linux removing trouble?

      Ozkan
    • mahud
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Ed I have the same problem. It takes at least 12 hours to run scan disk on
        my computer. I have tried shuting down every thing I can think of.
        I do not run scan disk with internet connection.
        If you come up with a solution, will you please post it.

        I go into - start - run - msconfig - and uncheck almost every thing there to
        stop any thing from running.
        Still having the same problem as you.

        Mary Hudson mahud@...

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          No, this is computer # 2 my main PC for the time being, I am building number
          three. I had problems with the Compaq which now has Mandrake 8.2 on it and
          the new one will have XP.

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            I brought it up in the safe mode and finally got it to run. It found several
            errors and I had it repair them. I am still not sure if it will work from
            accessories or not. I will check it as soon as I finish a virus scan.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
              Thanks I will try that. Could be my problem also. I tried again this
              morning shuting down everything but the clock. Still same, will try the
              safe mode.

              Mary

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                Ed,

                Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                and select TOOLS.

                Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                You should have 2 boxes to check.

                Automatically fix file system errors

                AND

                Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                Pick BOTH and hit START.

                It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                If it don't,

                THEN

                Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                Jim

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                  Thanks, Jim,
                  I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                    Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                    running in the background when I am in safe mode.
                    Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                    and select TOOLS.

                    Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                    You should have 2 boxes to check.

                    Automatically fix file system errors

                    AND

                    Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                    Pick BOTH and hit START.

                    It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                    ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                    Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                    If it don't,

                    THEN

                    Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                    Jim

                    At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                    >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                      Ed Brown wrote:

                      >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                      >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                      Ed,

                      Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
                      something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
                      virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
                      constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
                      version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
                      properly until the virus is disabled.

                      If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
                      harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
                      firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
                      net I get no indication.

                      Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
                      the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
                      happening.

                      hrs
                    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
                        Ed,

                        Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
                        resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
                        Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
                        in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

                        I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
                        www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
                        did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
                        running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
                        trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
                        One never knows.

                        Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
                        CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
                        people off guard.

                        If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
                        Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
                        select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
                        "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
                        control.

                        I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
                        to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
                        suspect.

                        I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
                        Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
                        tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
                        indispensable.

                        Regards,
                        Christopher J. Spilker
                        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                          Ed,

                          One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                          run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                          computer.

                          I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                          if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                          Larry
                        • Ed Brown
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                            Thanks, Larry,
                            I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                            the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                            with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                            the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                              Ed,

                              Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                              worm or virus of some type.

                              Jim

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                Jim,
                                I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                                thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???