Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      Never use a screen saver, I have shut down every thing else that I know is
      running via ctrl, alt, delete.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Friday, April 4, 2003,16:13:53,Ed wrote :

        I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

        --------------------End of original message--------------------
        So you could install Windows after Linux removing trouble?

        Ozkan
      • mahud
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          Ed I have the same problem. It takes at least 12 hours to run scan disk on
          my computer. I have tried shuting down every thing I can think of.
          I do not run scan disk with internet connection.
          If you come up with a solution, will you please post it.

          I go into - start - run - msconfig - and uncheck almost every thing there to
          stop any thing from running.
          Still having the same problem as you.

          Mary Hudson mahud@...

          I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
          delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
          to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
          because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
          Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
          program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
          that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
          512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
          Thanks,
          Ed

          Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/VygGAA/dkFolB/TM

          .

        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            No, this is computer # 2 my main PC for the time being, I am building number
            three. I had problems with the Compaq which now has Mandrake 8.2 on it and
            the new one will have XP.

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
              I brought it up in the safe mode and finally got it to run. It found several
              errors and I had it repair them. I am still not sure if it will work from
              accessories or not. I will check it as soon as I finish a virus scan.

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                Thanks I will try that. Could be my problem also. I tried again this
                morning shuting down everything but the clock. Still same, will try the
                safe mode.

                Mary

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                  Ed,

                  Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                  and select TOOLS.

                  Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                  You should have 2 boxes to check.

                  Automatically fix file system errors

                  AND

                  Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                  Pick BOTH and hit START.

                  It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                  ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                  Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                  If it don't,

                  THEN

                  Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                    Thanks, Jim,
                    I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                      Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                      running in the background when I am in safe mode.
                      Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                      and select TOOLS.

                      Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                      You should have 2 boxes to check.

                      Automatically fix file system errors

                      AND

                      Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                      Pick BOTH and hit START.

                      It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                      ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                      Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                      If it don't,

                      THEN

                      Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                      Jim

                      At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                      >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                        Ed Brown wrote:

                        >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                        >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                        Ed,

                        Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
                        something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
                        virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
                        constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
                        version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
                        properly until the virus is disabled.

                        If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
                        harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
                        firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
                        net I get no indication.

                        Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
                        the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
                        happening.

                        hrs
                      • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
                          Ed,

                          Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
                          resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
                          Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
                          in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

                          I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
                          www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
                          did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
                          running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
                          trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
                          One never knows.

                          Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
                          CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
                          people off guard.

                          If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
                          Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
                          select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
                          "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
                          control.

                          I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
                          to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
                          suspect.

                          I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
                          Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
                          tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
                          indispensable.

                          Regards,
                          Christopher J. Spilker
                          mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                            Ed,

                            One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                            run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                            computer.

                            I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                            if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                            Larry
                          • Ed Brown
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                              Thanks, Larry,
                              I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                              the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                              with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                              the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                Ed,

                                Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                                worm or virus of some type.

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                  Jim,
                                  I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                                  thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???