Re: [NTO] Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      >If I understand correctly ME is very similar to Win98. If that's
      >correct you should be able to boot into DOS. Once booted into DOS you
      >can run Scandisk from the C:\ prompt.

      No such luck, ME differs at this point I think, from Win98. At least it
      would not run scandisk from the C:\Windows prompt. And this is all I could
      get in ME.

      >need to shut down your virus checker, firewall,
      disable or shut down Fastfind from the Control panel, disconnect from
      the internet because Windows is constantly trying to check in or upload
      to MS.

      I am using DSL and I cannot find that connection, it is not in DUN.

      >If on, you should shut down Automatic Updating also.

      Done

      These things might interfere with Scandisk and there are probably others
      I haven't mentioned but that's all I remember just now.

      hrs

    • Lloyd
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Hi All,

        While we are talking about Scan Disk, I recently replaced a 2 gig 'D' drive
        with a 20 gig. I then formatted the 'D' drive and when it finished a note
        popped up saying to run Scan Disk. I made that attempt. It wont, it says I
        don't have enough memory. I shut down everything and I still don't have
        enough memory (256 meg).

        I have a 20 gig 'C' drive that Scan Disk works fine on. If I do a hard boot
        without closing down, it automatically does a Scan Disk on both 'C' and 'D'
        but when I ask or have the task scheduler try to Scan Disk on 'D' it just
        says I don't have enough memory.

        I am running Win 98.

        Lloyd
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          Never use a screen saver, I have shut down every thing else that I know is
          running via ctrl, alt, delete.
          Ed
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            Friday, April 4, 2003,16:13:53,Ed wrote :

            I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

            --------------------End of original message--------------------
            So you could install Windows after Linux removing trouble?

            Ozkan
          • mahud
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
              Ed I have the same problem. It takes at least 12 hours to run scan disk on
              my computer. I have tried shuting down every thing I can think of.
              I do not run scan disk with internet connection.
              If you come up with a solution, will you please post it.

              I go into - start - run - msconfig - and uncheck almost every thing there to
              stop any thing from running.
              Still having the same problem as you.

              Mary Hudson mahud@...

              I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
              delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
              to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
              because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
              Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
              program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
              that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
              512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
              Thanks,
              Ed

              Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/VygGAA/dkFolB/TM

              .

            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                No, this is computer # 2 my main PC for the time being, I am building number
                three. I had problems with the Compaq which now has Mandrake 8.2 on it and
                the new one will have XP.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                  I brought it up in the safe mode and finally got it to run. It found several
                  errors and I had it repair them. I am still not sure if it will work from
                  accessories or not. I will check it as soon as I finish a virus scan.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                    Thanks I will try that. Could be my problem also. I tried again this
                    morning shuting down everything but the clock. Still same, will try the
                    safe mode.

                    Mary

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                      Ed,

                      Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                      and select TOOLS.

                      Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                      You should have 2 boxes to check.

                      Automatically fix file system errors

                      AND

                      Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                      Pick BOTH and hit START.

                      It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                      ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                      Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                      If it don't,

                      THEN

                      Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                        Thanks, Jim,
                        I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                          Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                          running in the background when I am in safe mode.
                          Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                          and select TOOLS.

                          Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                          You should have 2 boxes to check.

                          Automatically fix file system errors

                          AND

                          Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                          Pick BOTH and hit START.

                          It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                          ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                          Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                          If it don't,

                          THEN

                          Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                          Jim

                          At 07:13 AM 4/4/2003 -0600, you wrote:
                          >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                            Ed Brown wrote:

                            >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                            >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                            Ed,

                            Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
                            something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
                            virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
                            constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
                            version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
                            properly until the virus is disabled.

                            If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
                            harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
                            firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
                            net I get no indication.

                            Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
                            the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
                            happening.

                            hrs
                          • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
                              Ed,

                              Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
                              resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
                              Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
                              in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

                              I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
                              www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
                              did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
                              running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
                              trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
                              One never knows.

                              Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
                              CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
                              people off guard.

                              If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
                              Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
                              select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
                              "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
                              control.

                              I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
                              to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
                              suspect.

                              I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
                              Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
                              tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
                              indispensable.

                              Regards,
                              Christopher J. Spilker
                              mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                            • Larry Hamilton
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                                Ed,

                                One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                                run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                                computer.

                                I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                                if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                                Larry
                              • Ed Brown
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                                  Thanks, Larry,
                                  I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                                  the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                                  with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                                  the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                    Ed,

                                    Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                                    worm or virus of some type.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                      Jim,
                                      I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                                      thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???