Can Not Run Scan Disk

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
      I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
      delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
      to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
      because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
      Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
      program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
      that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
      512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
      Thanks,
      Ed
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
        Ed Brown wrote:

        >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
        >delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
        >to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
        >because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
        >Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
        >program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
        >that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
        >512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
        >Thanks,
        >Ed

        If I understand correctly ME is very similar to Win98. If that's
        correct you should be able to boot into DOS. Once booted into DOS you
        can run Scandisk from the C:\ prompt.

        I remember having this kind or trouble, but, not sure what the problem
        was. You, probably, need to shut down your virus checker, firewall,
        disable or shut down Fastfind from the Control panel, disconnect from
        the internet because Windows is constantly trying to check in or upload
        to MS. If on, you should shut down Automatic Updating also.

        These things might interfere with Scandisk and there are probably others
        I haven't mentioned but that's all I remember just now.

        hrs
      • Dart Chris
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
          I don't suppose your screen saver is on is it?

          Chris Dart

          >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
          >delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
          >to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
          >because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
          >Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
          >program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
          >that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
          >512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
          >Thanks,
          >Ed

          If I understand correctly ME is very similar to Win98. If that's
          correct you should be able to boot into DOS. Once booted into DOS you
          can run Scandisk from the C:\ prompt.

          I remember having this kind or trouble, but, not sure what the problem
          was. You, probably, need to shut down your virus checker, firewall,
          disable or shut down Fastfind from the Control panel, disconnect from
          the internet because Windows is constantly trying to check in or upload
          to MS. If on, you should shut down Automatic Updating also.

          These things might interfere with Scandisk and there are probably others
          I haven't mentioned but that's all I remember just now.

          hrs

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17050073
          89:HM/A=1513703/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_06F/g22lp?T
          arget=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1513703/rand=469089383>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
            >If I understand correctly ME is very similar to Win98. If that's
            >correct you should be able to boot into DOS. Once booted into DOS you
            >can run Scandisk from the C:\ prompt.

            No such luck, ME differs at this point I think, from Win98. At least it
            would not run scandisk from the C:\Windows prompt. And this is all I could
            get in ME.

            >need to shut down your virus checker, firewall,
            disable or shut down Fastfind from the Control panel, disconnect from
            the internet because Windows is constantly trying to check in or upload
            to MS.

            I am using DSL and I cannot find that connection, it is not in DUN.

            >If on, you should shut down Automatic Updating also.

            Done

            These things might interfere with Scandisk and there are probably others
            I haven't mentioned but that's all I remember just now.

            hrs

          • Lloyd
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
              Hi All,

              While we are talking about Scan Disk, I recently replaced a 2 gig 'D' drive
              with a 20 gig. I then formatted the 'D' drive and when it finished a note
              popped up saying to run Scan Disk. I made that attempt. It wont, it says I
              don't have enough memory. I shut down everything and I still don't have
              enough memory (256 meg).

              I have a 20 gig 'C' drive that Scan Disk works fine on. If I do a hard boot
              without closing down, it automatically does a Scan Disk on both 'C' and 'D'
              but when I ask or have the task scheduler try to Scan Disk on 'D' it just
              says I don't have enough memory.

              I am running Win 98.

              Lloyd
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                Never use a screen saver, I have shut down every thing else that I know is
                running via ctrl, alt, delete.
                Ed
                I don't suppose your screen saver is on is it?

                Chris Dart

                >I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
                >delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
                >to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
                >because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
                >Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
                >program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
                >that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
                >512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
                >Thanks,
                >Ed

                If I understand correctly ME is very similar to Win98. If that's
                correct you should be able to boot into DOS. Once booted into DOS you
                can run Scandisk from the C:\ prompt.

                I remember having this kind or trouble, but, not sure what the problem
                was. You, probably, need to shut down your virus checker, firewall,
                disable or shut down Fastfind from the Control panel, disconnect from
                the internet because Windows is constantly trying to check in or upload
                to MS. If on, you should shut down Automatic Updating also.

                These things might interfere with Scandisk and there are probably others
                I haven't mentioned but that's all I remember just now.

                hrs

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=17050073
                89:HM/A=1513703/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_06F/g22lp?T
                arget=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1513703/rand=469089383>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Ozkan Taskiran
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                  Friday, April 4, 2003,16:13:53,Ed wrote :

                  I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk.

                  --------------------End of original message--------------------
                  So you could install Windows after Linux removing trouble?

                  Ozkan
                • mahud
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                    Ed I have the same problem. It takes at least 12 hours to run scan disk on
                    my computer. I have tried shuting down every thing I can think of.
                    I do not run scan disk with internet connection.
                    If you come up with a solution, will you please post it.

                    I go into - start - run - msconfig - and uncheck almost every thing there to
                    stop any thing from running.
                    Still having the same problem as you.

                    Mary Hudson mahud@...

                    I am having a bit of a problem trying to run scan disk. Using ctrl, alt,
                    delete keys I have removed every running program that I can find and tried
                    to run scan disk. But scan disk tells me that it has re-started ten times
                    because a program is writing to the disk that I am trying to scan (C
                    Drive-hard drive). This message is repeated every few minutes. What
                    program could be writing to the drive when I have every thing turned off
                    that I know how to turn off? I am using Windows ME. 40 gig hard drive and
                    512 mb of memory. The computer has a 1.2gigahertz AMD Athlon processor.
                    Thanks,
                    Ed

                    Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/VygGAA/dkFolB/TM

                    .

                  • Ed Brown
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                      No, this is computer # 2 my main PC for the time being, I am building number
                      three. I had problems with the Compaq which now has Mandrake 8.2 on it and
                      the new one will have XP.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                        I brought it up in the safe mode and finally got it to run. It found several
                        errors and I had it repair them. I am still not sure if it will work from
                        accessories or not. I will check it as soon as I finish a virus scan.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                          Thanks I will try that. Could be my problem also. I tried again this
                          morning shuting down everything but the clock. Still same, will try the
                          safe mode.

                          Mary

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                            Ed,

                            Goto MY COMPUTER highlight the drive and RIGHT click and pick PROPERTIES
                            and select TOOLS.

                            Under Error-checking, pick CHECK NOW.

                            You should have 2 boxes to check.

                            Automatically fix file system errors

                            AND

                            Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

                            Pick BOTH and hit START.

                            It should tell you that it can't do it now because some files are busy and
                            ask if you want to do it at the next startup.

                            Tell it yup and do a restart and it will do a complete Scan Disk for you.

                            If it don't,

                            THEN

                            Get a bigger hammer :-) (ie. get rid of ME)

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                              Thanks, Jim,
                              I will give it a go and see if I can get it to scandisk the disk.:-)

                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                                Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                                running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 4, 2003
                                  Ed Brown wrote:

                                  >Now it will not start and run without the error message that some program is
                                  >running in the background when I am in safe mode.

                                  Ed,

                                  Didn't you say you were going to do a virus scan. I think I recall
                                  something similar some time back. This was someone elses computer. The
                                  virus was constantly interfereing with the normal processes and
                                  constantlly attempting to log on the internet to download an updated
                                  version of itsself. If it is a virus, a lot of things may not work
                                  properly until the virus is disabled.

                                  If it happens to be a virus your firewall, if you have one, may make it
                                  harder for you to notice. For instance, I have somethings set up for my
                                  firewall to deny absolutely, when one of these tries to log on to the
                                  net I get no indication.

                                  Other Items I have setup to ask permission when the item wants to access
                                  the Web, with these items I get a dialog box everytime so I know what's
                                  happening.

                                  hrs
                                • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 5, 2003
                                    Ed,

                                    Just wanted to add to the very good list of suggestions in
                                    resolving your being unable to complete a Scan Disk operation in
                                    Windows ME. You are on track in that something is still running
                                    in the backround interfering with Scan Disk.

                                    I would like to suggest you install Process Viewer at
                                    www.prcview.com {free}, turn off all the software you previously
                                    did and then run this viewer. You may then see what process is
                                    running that should not belong there. You can detect a virus or
                                    trojan running that you were unaware of -or- some Adware service.
                                    One never knows.

                                    Not EVERY service that is running is listed in the
                                    CTRL+ALT+DEL (Task Manager} window and that throws a lot of
                                    people off guard.

                                    If you suspect there is a process running with the Process
                                    Viewer that should not, you can right click on its name and
                                    select "kill" and that will stop that process. If you mistakenly
                                    "kill" a system required file, you will have to reboot to regain
                                    control.

                                    I believe that only some 7 -10 files (processes?) are needed
                                    to run Windows ME. If more are listed, I would treat them as
                                    suspect.

                                    I hope this can be of some help to you. Personally, I use
                                    Process Viewer and StartUp Manager by Daniel Hofman to maintain
                                    tight control on what is running on my system. I find them
                                    indispensable.

                                    Regards,
                                    Christopher J. Spilker
                                    mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
                                  • Larry Hamilton
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                                      Ed,

                                      One other suggestion. I have found on Windows 95/98 that ScanDisk seems to
                                      run very smoothly if it is run first thing after starting or rebooting the
                                      computer.

                                      I have no experience with ME, other than to know it is not easy to work with
                                      if you are used to having access to all the DOS tools. ;-)

                                      Larry
                                    • Ed Brown
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 6, 2003
                                        Thanks, Larry,
                                        I even tried running it from Safe Mode and it would not run, just freeze up
                                        the computer. So finally I went to Device Manager and removed several items
                                        with a yellow question mark. Restarted the computer and Scandisk ran, but
                                        the defrag only ran up to 96% and froze up. Thanks again.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                          Ed,

                                          Be sure to completely power down first in case you have a memory resident
                                          worm or virus of some type.

                                          Jim

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 7, 2003
                                            Jim,
                                            I have run two different antivirus programs that I thought would show up any
                                            thing. How do you determine if you have memory resident worm or virus???