RE: [NTO] Remove Linux

  • Bob Janes
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
      > Can not get to bios nothing is on the is disk except Linux

      It doesn't matter what's on the hard disk. A proper boot disk contains it's
      own version of the operating system, usually Windows 98 DOS. This will run
      !!regardless!! of what's on the disk or not. Usually it will run to give you
      the old DOS C:> prompt and you can examine your hard disk and possibly make
      some changes from there. Usually boot disks contain fdisk, the DOS disk
      formatting program; you can use this to re-format or wipe clean your hard
      disk.

      Things may go wrong if Partition Magic change the boot sector - though Fdisk
      will fix this; or if you have a hard disk that needs special drivers and you
      don't have these on your boot disk -- possible with some SCSI drives.

      If you don't have a current boot disk or recovery disk then you can download
      one from the internet using another PC. Here's a Fred Langa column that's a
      good place to start
      http://www.informationweek.com/LP/columnists/langa/1999/1025.htm

      Other replies have suggested rebooting from the Windows CD, this will work
      if your BIOS settings let you boot from a CD and the CD drivers are
      available to you.

      Good luck,

      Bob

      --

      Bob Janes
      +44 (20) 8444-7274

      Whenever anyone says, 'theoretically', they really mean, 'not really' ~
      Anonymous
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
        Yes I have often gone into my bios and I know how to reach it, but when I
        hit the keys listed from delete to f10 nothing happens. Just a black screen
        with a cursor in the home position.
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
          Before this one would go to Bios before when I hit the F10 key.
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
            Ed,

            It sounds like you chose the option to install only Linux, rather than
            partitioning your hard drive first.

            If you did partition your drive, you need to make sure you used a
            non-destructive partition program, or you have Linux and an empty DOS
            partition. Windows also likes to be first on the disk, so the boot loader
            may have messed up the boot sector of the drive, and Windows may still be
            there. If it is a FAT partition, you should be able to configure Linux to
            view the DOS partition. I do not think Linux can read FAT32 partitions.

            It is possible to dual-boot Linux and Windows on the same hard-drive. I have
            this on my PC. the first time I went to install, I used Partition Magic to
            make the Linux partition. I then chose the wrong option the first time, and
            wiped out Windows, I lost all data. Thankfully, I did not lose anything
            truly critical, just some email. I then re-installed and was extra careful
            to hit the correct key and got both operating systems installed on the same
            drive.

            If you have a Win98 startup disk, you should also be able to see your
            Windows partition(s). If your Windows partitions are still there, get to a
            c:\ prompt and type FDISK /MBA. This will re-build the master boot record
            and Windows should be able to re-boot.

            What Linux boot loader did you choose, LILO or GRUB? The boot loader should
            give you the option to choose Linux or Windows in the first 10 seconds. If
            all you see is Linux, try the startup disk option and the FDISK /MBA option.

            If you cannot see the Windows partition using a Win98 startup disk, then you
            formatted the Windows partition. The only option is to use the startup disk
            to try and format the drive. Since Linux uses a different file format EXT2
            or EXT3, DOS\Windows cannot read it.

            If this is the case, you will have to use Linux itself to re-format your
            drive as one or more FAT partitions.

            Here are some Linux related links that may be of help for new Linux users:

            http://www.linuxvirgins.com/index.html

            http://www.reallylinux.com/

            http://www.linux-easy.com/

            http://www.justlinux.com - used to be LinuxNewbie.org, this is the only one
            I have really explored. The other links I just recently received, and have
            not had time to investigate.

            There are many other Linux sites also, you might try a search for linux help
            at www.google.com.

            In case you did not know, there are two kinds of partitioning for hard
            drives, destructive, and non-destructive. Destructive partitioning is easy
            to do with the fdisk command, it wipes out all data on the partition.
            Non-destructive partitioning preserves your data. Partition Magic costs
            about $50.00, and is easy to use. I have used it and trust it.

            I would not let this experience turn you away from Linux. Linux has advanced
            far enough, and there are enough high-quality office programs that are also
            free, that most Windows users can go to Linux and do all that they did in
            Windows. Linux even looks like Windows, if you choose to have it load the
            GUI. Knowing even a little about Linux can be a marketable skill. If you
            load the GUI, you do not have to use the command line, unless you have a
            need to know more.

            NoteTab can even be run on Linux, if you use WINE. NoteTab and the other
            Fookes products are one thing that is keeping me in Windows at home, I do
            not have a choice, and have to use Windows at work. I have not found a Linux
            text editor that offers the ease of use and expandability of NoteTab. There
            are two Linux text editors, EMACS and Vi. Both have a lot of flexibility,
            but also a learning curve. I have found some other tabbed text editors in
            Linux, but they do not have the power of NoteTab.

            I think anyone that has ever tinkered with a computer has one time or
            another made a big "Oh-No!" type mistake. I have made a few, but after the
            stress wore off, I "re-built" the hard-drive, i.e. re-installed the OS and
            programs,on more than one PC, and learned a lot from it.

            Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.

            Larry Hamilton
            lmh@...
            My Web Site: http://notlimah.tripod.com/
            Webmaster: Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
            http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

            Ed Brown wrote:
            > I had Windows 98 on a computer. I decided to partition the disk and
            > add OpenLinux to the new partition. The OpenLinux program CD had a
            > portion of PartitionMagic installed to perform this operation. It
            > went awry and neither Windows98 nor OpenLinux was available -- No OS
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
              I have tried replying to this three time and my e-mail program fails every
              time I get it two thirds answered. Where do I pick up Wine.

              Ed Brown wrote:
              > I had Windows 98 on a computer. I decided to partition the disk and
              > add OpenLinux to the new partition. The OpenLinux program CD had a
              > portion of PartitionMagic installed to perform this operation. It
              > went awry and neither Windows98 nor OpenLinux was available -- No OS

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
                Ed,

                http://www.winehq.com/ has all the information on Wine.

                Here is a copy of a post to the Clips group on January 14, 2003:

                Here is a follow up to my previous email. Further comments will be on the
                Off-Topic List.

                Once you get wine installed, use these steps to actually execute the
                program:

                cd to wine directory
                cd to NoteTab directory (I named the directory NoteTab, remember Unix.Linux
                is case sensitive.)
                winelauncher Notepro.exe (this is the command line to make it work.)

                None of the above is hard, but it took me a while to find the winelauncher
                part.

                For some reason, I can launch NoteTab (This takes patience waiting for it to
                start.), but then it does not appear to work, but be hung up. I recently
                made some system changes, so I may have replaced a version of something that
                wine needs to function properly. I am not too worried about it since my main
                interest was to make it work.

                Hope This Helps.

                Larry

                Ed Brown wrote:
                > I have tried replying to this three time and my e-mail program fails
                > every time I get it two thirds answered. Where do I pick up Wine.
                > Ed
              • Ozkan Taskiran
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 29, 2003
                  Saturday, March 29, 2003,01:26:12,Ed wrote :

                  Yes I have often gone into my bios and I know how to reach it, but when I
                  hit the keys listed from delete to f10 nothing happens. Just a black screen
                  with a cursor in the home position.

                  --------------------End of original message--------------------

                  When you first power on your PC there should be a dark screen
                  and you should see something like this "Hit .... key to enter
                  setup" . If you can catch it on time you should get bios screen.
                  There you see the name of main board in first page. You can browse
                  bios pages by arrow keys. Most likely F1 key will explain functions.
                  If you can do this let us know.

                  But now I think I know a better solution. Before Linux starts you
                  should see a screen to ask you what to boot: Linux,Linux-nonfb,..
                  and Floppy! . Do you see it ?
                  If you can see it place your windows boot disk in floppy drive,
                  choose that option at boot and disk will load dos.

                  After this you can browse to your cd-rom dir in bios and run
                  "setup" .

                  If your win 98 is still on disk. You say it's not. Running
                  "Fdisk /mbr" will restore win 98 boot record. Write down this
                  command to a paper in case you need it. You may see only "LI."
                  after deleting Linux.

                  Let me know if you have Floppy or Diskette option in boot screen.
                  It should be there.

                  Ozkan
                • Ozkan Taskiran
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 29, 2003
                    Saturday, March 29, 2003,11:32:23,Ozkan wrote :

                    After this you can browse to your cd-rom dir in bios and run
                    "setup" .

                    Sorry, I wrote browse in bios. It should have been DOS.
                    Just woke up :)