Re: [NTO] Remove Linux

  • Ozkan Taskiran
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
      Saturday, March 29, 2003,00:11:03,Ed wrote :

      Can not get to bios nothing is on the is disk except Linux

      --------------------End of original message--------------------

      Hi Ed,

      Why can't you reach the BIOS ? Is there a password or something else.
      Sorry I don't know about your PC knowledge. Do you know what BIOS is for,
      If you know ,have you ever used it? You generally reach BIOS by
      pressing DEL key when your computer just starts. BIOS is not on the
      disk. It's in the main board. You should enter BIOS and set boot
      device to diskette or CD-ROM if you have. If you tell all the
      details I or someone else may help. Doesn't work is not enough answer for me
      :)

      Ozkan
    • Bob Janes
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
        > Can not get to bios nothing is on the is disk except Linux

        It doesn't matter what's on the hard disk. A proper boot disk contains it's
        own version of the operating system, usually Windows 98 DOS. This will run
        !!regardless!! of what's on the disk or not. Usually it will run to give you
        the old DOS C:> prompt and you can examine your hard disk and possibly make
        some changes from there. Usually boot disks contain fdisk, the DOS disk
        formatting program; you can use this to re-format or wipe clean your hard
        disk.

        Things may go wrong if Partition Magic change the boot sector - though Fdisk
        will fix this; or if you have a hard disk that needs special drivers and you
        don't have these on your boot disk -- possible with some SCSI drives.

        If you don't have a current boot disk or recovery disk then you can download
        one from the internet using another PC. Here's a Fred Langa column that's a
        good place to start
        http://www.informationweek.com/LP/columnists/langa/1999/1025.htm

        Other replies have suggested rebooting from the Windows CD, this will work
        if your BIOS settings let you boot from a CD and the CD drivers are
        available to you.

        Good luck,

        Bob

        --

        Bob Janes
        +44 (20) 8444-7274

        Whenever anyone says, 'theoretically', they really mean, 'not really' ~
        Anonymous
      • Ed Brown
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
          Yes I have often gone into my bios and I know how to reach it, but when I
          hit the keys listed from delete to f10 nothing happens. Just a black screen
          with a cursor in the home position.

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
            Before this one would go to Bios before when I hit the F10 key.
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
              Ed,

              It sounds like you chose the option to install only Linux, rather than
              partitioning your hard drive first.

              If you did partition your drive, you need to make sure you used a
              non-destructive partition program, or you have Linux and an empty DOS
              partition. Windows also likes to be first on the disk, so the boot loader
              may have messed up the boot sector of the drive, and Windows may still be
              there. If it is a FAT partition, you should be able to configure Linux to
              view the DOS partition. I do not think Linux can read FAT32 partitions.

              It is possible to dual-boot Linux and Windows on the same hard-drive. I have
              this on my PC. the first time I went to install, I used Partition Magic to
              make the Linux partition. I then chose the wrong option the first time, and
              wiped out Windows, I lost all data. Thankfully, I did not lose anything
              truly critical, just some email. I then re-installed and was extra careful
              to hit the correct key and got both operating systems installed on the same
              drive.

              If you have a Win98 startup disk, you should also be able to see your
              Windows partition(s). If your Windows partitions are still there, get to a
              c:\ prompt and type FDISK /MBA. This will re-build the master boot record
              and Windows should be able to re-boot.

              What Linux boot loader did you choose, LILO or GRUB? The boot loader should
              give you the option to choose Linux or Windows in the first 10 seconds. If
              all you see is Linux, try the startup disk option and the FDISK /MBA option.

              If you cannot see the Windows partition using a Win98 startup disk, then you
              formatted the Windows partition. The only option is to use the startup disk
              to try and format the drive. Since Linux uses a different file format EXT2
              or EXT3, DOS\Windows cannot read it.

              If this is the case, you will have to use Linux itself to re-format your
              drive as one or more FAT partitions.

              Here are some Linux related links that may be of help for new Linux users:

              http://www.linuxvirgins.com/index.html

              http://www.reallylinux.com/

              http://www.linux-easy.com/

              http://www.justlinux.com - used to be LinuxNewbie.org, this is the only one
              I have really explored. The other links I just recently received, and have
              not had time to investigate.

              There are many other Linux sites also, you might try a search for linux help
              at www.google.com.

              In case you did not know, there are two kinds of partitioning for hard
              drives, destructive, and non-destructive. Destructive partitioning is easy
              to do with the fdisk command, it wipes out all data on the partition.
              Non-destructive partitioning preserves your data. Partition Magic costs
              about $50.00, and is easy to use. I have used it and trust it.

              I would not let this experience turn you away from Linux. Linux has advanced
              far enough, and there are enough high-quality office programs that are also
              free, that most Windows users can go to Linux and do all that they did in
              Windows. Linux even looks like Windows, if you choose to have it load the
              GUI. Knowing even a little about Linux can be a marketable skill. If you
              load the GUI, you do not have to use the command line, unless you have a
              need to know more.

              NoteTab can even be run on Linux, if you use WINE. NoteTab and the other
              Fookes products are one thing that is keeping me in Windows at home, I do
              not have a choice, and have to use Windows at work. I have not found a Linux
              text editor that offers the ease of use and expandability of NoteTab. There
              are two Linux text editors, EMACS and Vi. Both have a lot of flexibility,
              but also a learning curve. I have found some other tabbed text editors in
              Linux, but they do not have the power of NoteTab.

              I think anyone that has ever tinkered with a computer has one time or
              another made a big "Oh-No!" type mistake. I have made a few, but after the
              stress wore off, I "re-built" the hard-drive, i.e. re-installed the OS and
              programs,on more than one PC, and learned a lot from it.

              Hang in there, and let us know how it goes.

              Larry Hamilton
              lmh@...
              My Web Site: http://notlimah.tripod.com/
              Webmaster: Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
              http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

              Ed Brown wrote:
              > I had Windows 98 on a computer. I decided to partition the disk and
              > add OpenLinux to the new partition. The OpenLinux program CD had a
              > portion of PartitionMagic installed to perform this operation. It
              > went awry and neither Windows98 nor OpenLinux was available -- No OS
            • Ed Brown
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
                I have tried replying to this three time and my e-mail program fails every
                time I get it two thirds answered. Where do I pick up Wine.

                Ed Brown wrote:
                > I had Windows 98 on a computer. I decided to partition the disk and
                > add OpenLinux to the new partition. The OpenLinux program CD had a
                > portion of PartitionMagic installed to perform this operation. It
                > went awry and neither Windows98 nor OpenLinux was available -- No OS

              • Larry Hamilton
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 28, 2003
                  Ed,

                  http://www.winehq.com/ has all the information on Wine.

                  Here is a copy of a post to the Clips group on January 14, 2003:

                  Here is a follow up to my previous email. Further comments will be on the
                  Off-Topic List.

                  Once you get wine installed, use these steps to actually execute the
                  program:

                  cd to wine directory
                  cd to NoteTab directory (I named the directory NoteTab, remember Unix.Linux
                  is case sensitive.)
                  winelauncher Notepro.exe (this is the command line to make it work.)

                  None of the above is hard, but it took me a while to find the winelauncher
                  part.

                  For some reason, I can launch NoteTab (This takes patience waiting for it to
                  start.), but then it does not appear to work, but be hung up. I recently
                  made some system changes, so I may have replaced a version of something that
                  wine needs to function properly. I am not too worried about it since my main
                  interest was to make it work.

                  Hope This Helps.

                  Larry

                  Ed Brown wrote:
                  > I have tried replying to this three time and my e-mail program fails
                  > every time I get it two thirds answered. Where do I pick up Wine.
                  > Ed
                • Ozkan Taskiran
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 29, 2003
                    Saturday, March 29, 2003,01:26:12,Ed wrote :

                    Yes I have often gone into my bios and I know how to reach it, but when I
                    hit the keys listed from delete to f10 nothing happens. Just a black screen
                    with a cursor in the home position.

                    --------------------End of original message--------------------

                    When you first power on your PC there should be a dark screen
                    and you should see something like this "Hit .... key to enter
                    setup" . If you can catch it on time you should get bios screen.
                    There you see the name of main board in first page. You can browse
                    bios pages by arrow keys. Most likely F1 key will explain functions.
                    If you can do this let us know.

                    But now I think I know a better solution. Before Linux starts you
                    should see a screen to ask you what to boot: Linux,Linux-nonfb,..
                    and Floppy! . Do you see it ?
                    If you can see it place your windows boot disk in floppy drive,
                    choose that option at boot and disk will load dos.

                    After this you can browse to your cd-rom dir in bios and run
                    "setup" .

                    If your win 98 is still on disk. You say it's not. Running
                    "Fdisk /mbr" will restore win 98 boot record. Write down this
                    command to a paper in case you need it. You may see only "LI."
                    after deleting Linux.

                    Let me know if you have Floppy or Diskette option in boot screen.
                    It should be there.

                    Ozkan
                  • Ozkan Taskiran
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 29, 2003
                      Saturday, March 29, 2003,11:32:23,Ozkan wrote :

                      After this you can browse to your cd-rom dir in bios and run
                      "setup" .

                      Sorry, I wrote browse in bios. It should have been DOS.
                      Just woke up :)