Re: [NTO] page looks bad

  • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 19, 2003
      It looked alright on my 640 by 480. Why do you have to say how many pixels there are? Give percentages. If Tidy says this is wrong, but it is right, leave it right.

      Adrian Worsfold

      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 19, 2003
        Sorry, Jody.
        Should I post the same letter again?
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 19, 2003
          Thank you Adrian
          The trouble with percentages (as I see it) is that 100% of the 640 x 480
          screen is a nice readable width, but 100% of 1,024 is just too wide to read
          comfortably.

          (I tried to switch this to the other list, but it bounced.)
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 19, 2003
            They should fit both screens exactly one hundred per cent a perfect page on
            each size screen no matter what the pixel size as I see it.
            Ed
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 20, 2003
              Hi Fay,

              > Whatever, I've got wide bits and narrow bits and a real mess.
              > I like the article, and I want to have it up, but where do I
              > start with getting it looking right ? Please help.

              Here's a quick attempt to work out what's happening with your page.

              As you guessed you've got a mixture of stuff here. Your page is being
              formatted by two things: the HTML mark-up and the CSS file white.css.

              In white.css you've got a 'width: 500px' set for your 'p' paragraph setting
              and this is what gives you the narrow column. However, in the HTML mark-up
              you've used lots of <br>s and very few <p>s so the css isn't being applied
              consistently.

              If you want to go for a clean set up try this:

              A) go through your HTML and clean up the mark-up. Put each paragraph in a
              set of <p></p> tags. Similarly for each heading, image etc. Tidy will do
              this for you if you let it but you'll need to make sure that the Tidy
              configuration gives you what you want. There are a whole string of settings.
              I don't see why Strict XHTML won't work on your page.

              B) go through your HTML again and check on the 'class=' elements to make
              sure that they make sense. Class elements should group things that are
              similar in layout. If you have unique elements then use id= elements
              instead.

              C) go through your CSS and simplify it. Remember that CSS inherits most
              properties so if you set a font-family for <body> you don't need to repeat
              it for all the elements in the body. This will make your CSS much simpler
              and easier to understand.

              D) Go through and tweak what's left till you get just what you want . . .

              Best wishes

              Bob

              --

              Bob Janes
              +44 (20) 8444-7274

              Men learn while they teach. ~ Seneca (3 BC-65 AD)
            • hugo_paulissen
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 20, 2003
                Fay,

                (Jody, this is OT for the OT-list, we know.)

                There were some answers to your question, and indeed, the best way is
                to clean out your original html as much as possible. BTW: TopStyle
                (Lite) reports an error in your body section of your css-file:
                font_size should be font-size.

                You want some consistent whitespace on the right, I believe?

                Without much pain you can achieve that by setting the margin-right
                (of body for example) to, say, 25%. There are (many) other options,
                but this one gives you direct control over the general page-layout.

                You know you can use a different css-file for print-outs? That way
                you can set different margins for screen and for paper, meaning that
                the paper-version of that page doesn't have to have that 25% margin...

                Hugo
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 20, 2003
                  Hi Hugo and Fay...

                  >(Jody, this is OT for the OT-list, we know.)

                  It can surely be discussed here, I was just saying
                  she might get more feedback on the HTML list. :)

                  Happy Tab'n!

                  www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com
                • Fay
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 22, 2003
                    Thanks Bob, for your full and helpful answer.
                  • Fay
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 22, 2003
                      Thanks Hugo,
                      No, I didn't know that (about printing). I thought you had to have a
                      duplicate page.
                      A year ago I thought I understood CSS, but getting into CSS Help for this
                      has told me otherwise.
                      I'll take notice of everyone's good advice and hopefully learn a bit along
                      the way.
                      Fay
                    • Fay
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 22, 2003
                        Jody, I'm sorry, but I've screwed up my nh list. One day a few weeks ago I
                        was getting TWELVE copies of each post, so unsubscribed. Haven't been
                        successful in resubscribing.
                        Any day now, no doubt.
                      • Fay
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 22, 2003
                          Hugo wrote <You know you can use a different css-file for print-outs?

                          Please, how do I do that?
                          Where do I write this?
                        • hugo_paulissen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 23, 2003
                            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@n...> wrote:
                            > Hugo wrote <You know you can use a different css-file for print-
                            outs?

                            > Please, how do I do that?
                            > Where do I write this?

                            Hi Fay,

                            Here is an example. Please note that you can use the print-preview
                            option of your browser to see the difference. I hope it comes through.
                            Read more on this at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html

                            Hugo

                            <head>
                            1">

                            body {margin-left: 10%; margin-right: 30%;}
                            p {font-family: sans-serif}
                            p.note {color: gray;}

                            @media print {
                            /* style sheet for print goes here */
                            body {margin: 0%;}
                            p {font-family: serif}
                            p.note {border-top: 1px solid black;}
                            div.navigation {display: none;}
                            }

                            <title>Introduction to NoteTab</title>
                            </head>

                            href="bla.htm">Next</a></div>

                            <h1>Introduction</h1>

                            tool, and an excellent Notepad replacement. Winner of top software
                            industry awards since 1998, this application does it all: you can
                            handle multiple large files with a simple tabbed interface, use a
                            spell-checker and thesaurus (*), format text, extract detailed word
                            statistics, and bookmark documents. You can build document templates,
                            use powerful system-wide searches, and do global multi-line
                            replacements. NoteTab has a fully configurable toolbar with more than
                            90 commands available, and a Clipbar feature that lets you create
                            your own toolbar buttons to execute custom scripts and wizards.</p>

                            that can range from text replacement to complete mini-applications,
                            using a simple scripting language with enough features to satisfy any
                            power user; a bunch of handy clip libraries is included. Web authors
                            will love the HTML clip library, just one of a load of features that
                            make NoteTab a great code-based HTML editor. Other gems include text-
                            to-HTML conversion, tag stripping, powerful regular expression
                            handling, and tools for adding links and color codes.</p>

                            available in NoteTab Light and the trial version of NoteTab Pro.</p>
                          • Fay
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 23, 2003
                              Hugo wrote <Here is an example.

                              Thank you.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 24, 2003
                                Hi Fay,

                                >Jody, I'm sorry, but I've screwed up my nh list. One day a few
                                >weeks ago I was getting TWELVE copies of each post, so
                                >unsubscribed. Haven't been successful in resubscribing.
                                >Any day now, no doubt.

                                No problem at all, except with yahoogroups as of late.