Windows Favorites folder being modified by outside sources..

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
      A friend of mine uses Windows XP (I think she told me that once, I have an email fired off to her right now to verify it) and she is going nuts trying to find the reason why her Windows Favorites folder is being modified every time she goes on the internet. Links to web sites she couldn't care less about are being added to it... She's tried AdAware and Spybot looking for spyware but the problem persists..

      Has anyone here had, or heard of this problem?

      Thanks in advance for any responses..

      John
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
        At 02:04 2003.03.12, you wrote:
        >A friend of mine uses Windows XP (I think she told me that once, I have an
        >email fired off to her right now to verify it) and she is going nuts
        >trying to find the reason why her Windows Favorites folder is being
        >modified every time she goes on the internet. Links to web sites she
        >couldn't care less about are being added to it... She's tried AdAware and
        >Spybot looking for spyware but the problem persists..

        Xupiter that someone else had problems with not long ago does that. I guess
        AdAware should catch it but tell her to go to this page and see if the
        script that's running there finds anything. It's pretty good and doesn't
        flag false postives as AdAware. She doesn't have to 'do' anything. Just
        read what it says at the top of the page.

        http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

        Lotta
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
          Hi John,

          >A friend of mine uses Windows XP (I think she told me that once, I have an
          >email fired off to her right now to verify it) and she is going nuts
          >trying to find the reason why her Windows Favorites folder is being
          >modified every time she goes on the internet. Links to web sites she
          >couldn't care less about are being added to it... She's tried AdAware and
          >Spybot looking for spyware but the problem persists..

          Does she have updated anti-virus software, and has she done thorough virus
          scan of the system recently? I know there are a couple of worms out there
          that can do something similar. Also, has she double checked the Windows
          Update site for IE updates?

          Julie
        • Mark B.
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2003
            John,

            If you're still looking for suggestions, you might want to skim
            "Browser Hijacking" by SpywareInfo:

            http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/

            It suggests things to try when Ad-aware, Spybot, and HijackThis fail.
            For example, search *.hta and *.js files for the URLs in question.

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "John Zeman" <john041650@y...>
            wrote:

            >A friend of mine uses Windows XP (I think she told me that

            >once, I have an email fired off to her right now to verify

            >it) and she is going nuts trying to find the reason why her

            >Windows Favorites folder is being modified every time she

            >goes on the internet. Links to web sites she couldn't care

            >less about are being added to it... She's tried AdAware and

            >Spybot looking for spyware but the problem persists..

            >Has anyone here had, or heard of this problem?

            >Thanks in advance for any responses..

            > John
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2003
              Many thanks to each of you, it took a combination of suggestions to track down and eliminate the culprit. It appears the demon is called "FavoriteMan" which was detected on the page Lotta suggested but the fix wasn't clear to my friend. On the page Mark recommended the free program "HighjackThis" also detected it, plus it removed it. Or so it appears my friend Amy tells me now, and she wants me to pass along to each of you, her deepest appreciation for your suggestions.. :)

              Now maybe I'll be able to talk Amy into trying out NoteTab.. I've been after her for a long time to, hopefully this little incident will open her eyes to just how powerful NoteTab, and these groups, really are..

              Thanks again! If there's any more problems I'll do a follow up..

              John