Blind Users of Mail Lists

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 8:47 AM
      Hi Folks,

      This is the only list to which I subscribe where I know there are some blind
      computer users and I'm seeking blind user views.

      I manage a mail list where I encourage people to avoid top-posting. I do
      this partly because my newsgroup experience teaches me this is best
      practice, because I feel such practice applies equally to public access mail
      lists and, in some measure, because I want to demonstrate an "equal
      opportunities" approach.

      I have been led to believe that more than most, blind users, using mail
      programs which output speech, find it difficult to skip to text appended at
      the bottom of messages in order to place top-posted remarks in context.

      Is this true, or do the blind have as divergent set of views on bottom
      versus top posting as the general mail list using audience? Are you aware
      of any URLs which provide guidance to us sighted folks on mail list and
      newsgroup best practice?

      I'm based in the UK, and answers from these parts would be especially
      welcome. I am awaiting an answer from the RNIB, (http://www.rnib.org.uk)
      but although their site has much on ensuring that web sites are
      blind-user-friendly there is nothing on best practice for mail lists or
      newsgroups.

      Greg