Re: [NTO] Re: File managers

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5 6:02 AM
      DOpus (Directory Opus) is clearly way out of yours (and my!) price bracket,
      except that I scored a free copy :-8, but its SOOOOO good I've stopped
      checking out any other file managers. It handles the one click filter and
      one feature that I really like is being able to set up a button on its
      toolbar (forinstance to execute a compare program like ExamDiff) so that if
      I select two files in one folder it will compare them (on left click) and if
      I select two files one on left side and one on right side and right click it
      will compare them! (This also works for choosing two or more files in
      different folders and getting them all opened at once by Notetab).

      It also allowed setting up a [Browsers] button which when clicked will
      pop-up a list of all my browsers and open whatever file(s) I have selected
      and open them in the brower I select.

      btw: there is also a free-browser previously named Windows Commander (it got
      renamed to Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ because the author didn't
      have the money to stand up to MSFT when they hassled him about the name
      "Windows" - maybe if Lindows wins its suit with them he can rename it back
      ;-) )

      I never used the Norton File Manager but I believe its supposed to have all
      (?) of its good points plus some extras. (I'm not sure whether this one has
      been mentioned in this thread.)

      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5 6:09 AM
        DOpus - one downside I forgot to mention about it:
        It doesn't natively support the QVP quick-view plus viewer that PowerDisk
        uses, but if you've already got it by virtue of having installed the PD4 or
        PD5 pro version it can use the QVP that comes with it in addition to its
        native viewer which includes two PDF viewers: one text-view and one
        PDF-format.

        Regards ... Alec

        > DOpus (Directory Opus) is clearly way out of yours (and my!) price
        > bracket, except that I scored a free copy :-8, but its SOOOOO good
        > I've stopped checking out any other file managers.
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
          Thought I'd bring this back to the top as about three weeks ago I finally got around to taking a serious look at the Directory Opus file manager. I'd totally forgotten who had mentioned here a few months back until I saw Alec's name on the DOpus support list yesterday.. Three weeks ago I downloaded their 60 day free trial software and two hours later I was back online purchasing Directory Opus. Quite frankly this file manager puts PowerDesk to shame.. I've only found one minor thing I couldn't do with it, and the author answered my email to him saying the feature I requested is part of the next version they are currently working on..

          I can't give you the exact price, it's an Australian product, and in Australian currency it's $105. I won't know for sure until I get my credit card statement but I believe the cost to me in U.S. dollars will be around $70..

          I don't mind paying a fair price for a product that does all that I want, and this file manager does..

          Alec, thanks ever so much for suggesting Directory Opus here..

          John

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
          > DOpus (Directory Opus) is clearly way out of yours (and my!) price bracket,
          > except that I scored a free copy :-8, but its SOOOOO good I've stopped
          > checking out any other file managers. It handles the one click filter and
          > one feature that I really like is being able to set up a button on its
          > toolbar (forinstance to execute a compare program like ExamDiff) so that if
          > I select two files in one folder it will compare them (on left click) and if
          > I select two files one on left side and one on right side and right click it
          > will compare them! (This also works for choosing two or more files in
          > different folders and getting them all opened at once by Notetab).
          >
          > It also allowed setting up a [Browsers] button which when clicked will
          > pop-up a list of all my browsers and open whatever file(s) I have selected
          > and open them in the brower I select.
          >
          > btw: there is also a free-browser previously named Windows Commander (it got
          > renamed to Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ because the author didn't
          > have the money to stand up to MSFT when they hassled him about the name
          > "Windows" - maybe if Lindows wins its suit with them he can rename it back
          > ;-) )
          >
          > I never used the Norton File Manager but I believe its supposed to have all
          > (?) of its good points plus some extras. (I'm not sure whether this one has
          > been mentioned in this thread.)
          >

          > Regards ... Alec
          > --

        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
            Hi all!

            Just wanted to tell you guys about a free virus scanner that I started
            using today.

            I got it here: http://www.avast.com/index.html

            I must note that I am a big big fan of AVG, but IMO, this has got it
            beat. I'm taking the time to write this because I just got done taking
            care of Nimda on about 25 PC's. While I can't install it on a server
            directly, I could still scan remotely.

            At any rate, I installed AVG (latest version downloaded today) and
            scanned the entire system (note that these were 90% Windows 2000
            machines and 10% Win98 machines.) and AVG reported that it was clean.

            Skeptical, I downloaded this Avast Home (free edition) and elected to
            allow it to scan on next reboot (default suggestion) and it found
            another instance of Nimda and I chose to delete the file. AVG
            apparently wasn't smart enough to find C:\Downloads\F-Nimda.com

            I'm sure there's more to the story, and the boot-time check helped, but
            the interface is cool (IMO) and you get the system tray popup notices
            with a weird guy telling you about the updates taking place, etc. It's
            just an all-around cool product to me. It even has email support. I'm
            sure the pro is worth it.

            It was neat to see a free virus scanner take care of Nimda on all
            workstations in a LAN.

            For what it's worth, Norton System Works 2003 was previously installed
            and even doing full system scans with NAV 2003 never found a virus.
            Then I would uninstall NSW 2003 and scan it with avast and it would find
            around 6 viruses, ranging from Nimda, to Magistr, Hybrid, etc.

            Mind you this network wasn't setup by me. I just came to help out with
            getting the viruses out. You can see why I don't like Norton though! :P

            Just thought it may help some of you someday.

            Brian