File managers

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi All,

      Can anyone suggest a free replacement and provide links for Windows
      Explorer or PowerDesk like file managers. I would like it to have Zip
      handling capability also.

      hrs
    • Ozkan Taskiran
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2003
        Sunday, March 2, 2003,09:22:38,hsavage wrote :

        Can anyone suggest a free replacement and provide links for Windows
        Explorer or PowerDesk like file managers. I would like it to have Zip
        handling capability also.

        --------------------End of original message--------------------

        Hi ,

        I can suggest free 2xExplorer.

        http://netez.com/2xExplorer/
      • hugo_paulissen
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4, 2003
          > Can anyone suggest a free replacement and provide links for Windows
          > Explorer or PowerDesk like file managers. I would like it to have
          Zip
          > handling capability also.
          >
          > hrs

          Hi HRS,

          I can recommend 2xExplorer (mentioned before) as well, bit it doesn't
          handle zips internally.

          But you can check out A43 - a simple and very lightweight filemanager
          (this does have built-in zip). No install (and hardly any
          documentation, but I didn't miss that).

          http://www.shawneelink.net/~bgmiller/

          Regards,

          Hugo
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4, 2003
            hugo_paulissen wrote:

            >>Can anyone suggest a free replacement and provide links for Windows
            >>Explorer or PowerDesk like file managers. I would like it to have
            >>

            >Zip
            >

            >>handling capability also.
            >>
            >>hrs
            >>

            >Hi HRS,
            >
            >I can recommend 2xExplorer (mentioned before) as well, bit it doesn't
            >handle zips internally.
            >
            >But you can check out A43 - a simple and very lightweight filemanager
            >(this does have built-in zip). No install (and hardly any
            >documentation, but I didn't miss that).
            >
            >http://www.shawneelink.net/~bgmiller/
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Hugo

            Hi Hugo,

            I'm downloading it now. I'll try it for the heck of it.

            I did go ahead and download the new version of Poweerdesk v5 because I
            was pleased with v4, zip capabilities and all. I have tried others but
            so far I haven't liked any as well as PDesk.

            Thanks for the link.

            hrs
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2003
              HRS:

              I'll second the recommendation for 2x Explorer. Note that if you get free
              Power Archiver http://www.powerarchiver.com/ it will add itself to the
              context menu for zips. The only thing it won't do is allow you to treat a
              zip as-if it were a folder.

              btw: You asked for free substitutes for PowerDesk. Have you got the free
              PowerDesk? If so, what shortcomings did you find with it that make you want
              to try something else?

              Regards ... Alec

              >> Can anyone suggest a free replacement and provide links for Windows
              >> Explorer or PowerDesk like file managers. I would like it to have
              > Zip
              >> handling capability also.
              >>
              >> hrs
              >
              > Hi HRS,
              >
              > I can recommend 2xExplorer (mentioned before) as well, bit it doesn't
              > handle zips internally.
              >
              > But you can check out A43 - a simple and very lightweight filemanager
              > (this does have built-in zip). No install (and hardly any
              > documentation, but I didn't miss that).
              >
              > http://www.shawneelink.net/~bgmiller/
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Hugo

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2003
                Alec Burgess wrote:

                >HRS:
                >
                >I'll second the recommendation for 2x Explorer. Note that if you get free
                >Power Archiver http://www.powerarchiver.com/ it will add itself to the
                >context menu for zips. The only thing it won't do is allow you to treat a
                >zip as-if it were a folder.
                >
                >btw: You asked for free substitutes for PowerDesk. Have you got the free
                >PowerDesk? If so, what shortcomings did you find with it that make you want
                >to try something else?
                >
                >Regards ... Alec

                Alec,

                It's not that I don't like PowerDesk, in fact, I like it as well as any
                I've ever used, I was just being tight-fisted and was reluctant to turn
                loose of the money. I did, however, go ahead and buy it.

                V-com.com is the new owner of PDesk. This is a link to the download
                page for pd5free.

                http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html

                You're only required to leave your email address, you can uncheck the
                newsletter subscription just below your email entry, if you don't want
                the newsletter.

                The free model lacks several features but it's still worthwhile. It
                handles zips, included, very well and has a dialogue helper utility,
                which is a great imporvement over standard Windows dialogues, something
                on the order of the File-EX program we've talked about on these lists.

                PD#free with it's lack of bells and whistles is still way ahead of
                Windows Explorer.

                hrs
              • John Zeman
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 5, 2003
                  I use PowerDesk Pro v5 Alec, and while I love it, there are a few things the old Norton File Manager did that it won't. For example, Norton used to let me set up simple one click filters, i.e. one click on a tab or button showed only jpg files in a folder.

                  PowerDesk also puts up an annoying message telling me the CD drive is not available each time I remove a CD from the computer.

                  But other than that, it does everything I could ask it to do..

                  John

                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
                  > HRS:
                  >
                  > I'll second the recommendation for 2x Explorer. Note that if you get free
                  > Power Archiver http://www.powerarchiver.com/ it will add itself to the
                  > context menu for zips. The only thing it won't do is allow you to treat a
                  > zip as-if it were a folder.
                  >
                  > btw: You asked for free substitutes for PowerDesk. Have you got the free
                  > PowerDesk? If so, what shortcomings did you find with it that make you want
                  > to try something else?
                  >
                  > Regards ... Alec
                  > --

                • Alec Burgess
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 5, 2003
                    DOpus (Directory Opus) is clearly way out of yours (and my!) price bracket,
                    except that I scored a free copy :-8, but its SOOOOO good I've stopped
                    checking out any other file managers. It handles the one click filter and
                    one feature that I really like is being able to set up a button on its
                    toolbar (forinstance to execute a compare program like ExamDiff) so that if
                    I select two files in one folder it will compare them (on left click) and if
                    I select two files one on left side and one on right side and right click it
                    will compare them! (This also works for choosing two or more files in
                    different folders and getting them all opened at once by Notetab).

                    It also allowed setting up a [Browsers] button which when clicked will
                    pop-up a list of all my browsers and open whatever file(s) I have selected
                    and open them in the brower I select.

                    btw: there is also a free-browser previously named Windows Commander (it got
                    renamed to Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ because the author didn't
                    have the money to stand up to MSFT when they hassled him about the name
                    "Windows" - maybe if Lindows wins its suit with them he can rename it back
                    ;-) )

                    I never used the Norton File Manager but I believe its supposed to have all
                    (?) of its good points plus some extras. (I'm not sure whether this one has
                    been mentioned in this thread.)

                    Regards ... Alec

                    > I use PowerDesk Pro v5 Alec, and while I love it, there are a few
                    > things the old Norton File Manager did that it won't. For example,
                    > Norton used to let me set up simple one click filters, i.e. one click
                    > on a tab or button showed only jpg files in a folder.
                    >
                    > PowerDesk also puts up an annoying message telling me the CD drive is
                    > not available each time I remove a CD from the computer.
                    >
                    > But other than that, it does everything I could ask it to do..
                    >
                    > John
                  • Alec Burgess
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 5, 2003
                      DOpus - one downside I forgot to mention about it:
                      It doesn't natively support the QVP quick-view plus viewer that PowerDisk
                      uses, but if you've already got it by virtue of having installed the PD4 or
                      PD5 pro version it can use the QVP that comes with it in addition to its
                      native viewer which includes two PDF viewers: one text-view and one
                      PDF-format.

                      Regards ... Alec

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                        Thought I'd bring this back to the top as about three weeks ago I finally got around to taking a serious look at the Directory Opus file manager. I'd totally forgotten who had mentioned here a few months back until I saw Alec's name on the DOpus support list yesterday.. Three weeks ago I downloaded their 60 day free trial software and two hours later I was back online purchasing Directory Opus. Quite frankly this file manager puts PowerDesk to shame.. I've only found one minor thing I couldn't do with it, and the author answered my email to him saying the feature I requested is part of the next version they are currently working on..

                        I can't give you the exact price, it's an Australian product, and in Australian currency it's $105. I won't know for sure until I get my credit card statement but I believe the cost to me in U.S. dollars will be around $70..

                        I don't mind paying a fair price for a product that does all that I want, and this file manager does..

                        Alec, thanks ever so much for suggesting Directory Opus here..

                        John

                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Alec Burgess" <burale@a...> wrote:
                        > DOpus (Directory Opus) is clearly way out of yours (and my!) price bracket,
                        > except that I scored a free copy :-8, but its SOOOOO good I've stopped
                        > checking out any other file managers. It handles the one click filter and
                        > one feature that I really like is being able to set up a button on its
                        > toolbar (forinstance to execute a compare program like ExamDiff) so that if
                        > I select two files in one folder it will compare them (on left click) and if
                        > I select two files one on left side and one on right side and right click it
                        > will compare them! (This also works for choosing two or more files in
                        > different folders and getting them all opened at once by Notetab).
                        >
                        > It also allowed setting up a [Browsers] button which when clicked will
                        > pop-up a list of all my browsers and open whatever file(s) I have selected
                        > and open them in the brower I select.
                        >
                        > btw: there is also a free-browser previously named Windows Commander (it got
                        > renamed to Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/ because the author didn't
                        > have the money to stand up to MSFT when they hassled him about the name
                        > "Windows" - maybe if Lindows wins its suit with them he can rename it back
                        > ;-) )
                        >
                        > I never used the Norton File Manager but I believe its supposed to have all
                        > (?) of its good points plus some extras. (I'm not sure whether this one has
                        > been mentioned in this thread.)
                        >

                        > Regards ... Alec
                        > --

                      • Brian Binder
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                          Hi all!

                          Just wanted to tell you guys about a free virus scanner that I started
                          using today.

                          I got it here: http://www.avast.com/index.html

                          I must note that I am a big big fan of AVG, but IMO, this has got it
                          beat. I'm taking the time to write this because I just got done taking
                          care of Nimda on about 25 PC's. While I can't install it on a server
                          directly, I could still scan remotely.

                          At any rate, I installed AVG (latest version downloaded today) and
                          scanned the entire system (note that these were 90% Windows 2000
                          machines and 10% Win98 machines.) and AVG reported that it was clean.

                          Skeptical, I downloaded this Avast Home (free edition) and elected to
                          allow it to scan on next reboot (default suggestion) and it found
                          another instance of Nimda and I chose to delete the file. AVG
                          apparently wasn't smart enough to find C:\Downloads\F-Nimda.com

                          I'm sure there's more to the story, and the boot-time check helped, but
                          the interface is cool (IMO) and you get the system tray popup notices
                          with a weird guy telling you about the updates taking place, etc. It's
                          just an all-around cool product to me. It even has email support. I'm
                          sure the pro is worth it.

                          It was neat to see a free virus scanner take care of Nimda on all
                          workstations in a LAN.

                          For what it's worth, Norton System Works 2003 was previously installed
                          and even doing full system scans with NAV 2003 never found a virus.
                          Then I would uninstall NSW 2003 and scan it with avast and it would find
                          around 6 viruses, ranging from Nimda, to Magistr, Hybrid, etc.

                          Mind you this network wasn't setup by me. I just came to help out with
                          getting the viruses out. You can see why I don't like Norton though! :P

                          Just thought it may help some of you someday.

                          Brian