MS Outlook and Express

  • ntpandme@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2003
      The Off Topic list has had several posts commenting on Outlook and
      Outlook Express so I'm sending the following for anyone interested.

      This is a lightly edited Q&A column carried by many U.S. papers under the
      pseudonym of Dr. Bombay.

      Q: I recently switched from Outlook Express to the full version of Outlook.
      Since changing, I haven't been able to send or receive some kinds of
      attachments.

      A: That was a nasty little surprise Microsoft engineered, wasn't it?
      Outlook blocks several types of file attachments even useful, non
      threatening ones - by default, and there's no "normal" way to turn that
      blocking off. Does that tick you off at all? Well then, you simply don't
      realize that Big Bill and his henchmen know what's best for you.

      The concept of built-in attachment blocking isn't really all that heinous.
      After all, almost all viruses are spread by scripts and programs riding
      piggyback on your mail. But not giving you the option to selectively
      unblock file types borders on the megalomaniacal.

      If you've downloaded and installed the latest service pack for Internet
      Explorer, you probably have discovered that Outlook Express now blocks
      attachments by default as well. Fortunately, that's a simple fix. Go to
      OE's Tools menu and pick Options. Click on the Security tab, where you'll
      find a box you can uncheck to get things back to normal.

      Download DetachXP from McDaniel Development (www.mcdev.com/outlook.shtml),
      and it'll do the fiddling. You choose what sort of attachments you want to
      send and receive, then let it hack the Registry for you.

      That brings up another sore point. If you can add that hack, that means the
      Outlook program has the built-in capability of allowing you to customize
      the approved file-type list. You just haven't been trusted with a menu
      choice to use it.

      Of course, if you do unblock things, you'd better have a virus checker
      running with up-to-date definitions installed in case something nasty slips
      through.

      Look out for Outlook

      Q: When I e-mail TIFF files to people at Netscape.com, Microsoft Network or
      America Online, the attachment is converted to something called Winmail.dat.

      A: Maybe that program should be called "Look Out!" instead of Outlook.
      Yeah, I can tell that's what you're using. Well, it's either that or
      Microsoft Exchange, which exhibits similarly annoying behavior.

      Outlook allows you to compose messages in "Rich Text Format," meaning you
      can change fonts and make boldface and italics and whatever. Unfortunately,
      about the only email program that can natively decipher the Outlook version
      of RTF is, well, Outlook.

      The RTF information = what font you're using and stuff like that - is
      tacked on to the end of your message as an attachment called Winmail.dat,
      which is ignored by some mail programs like Outlook Express. Others,
      unfortunately, don't know what to do with it, so they show it as a regular
      attachment. Furthermore, your attached graphics are being rolled into the
      Winmail.dat file.

      Change your mail-sending format. Go to Outlook's Tools menu and pick
      Options. On the Mail Format tab, choose HTML - which will still let you
      play around with fonts and colors - or plain text. It's either that or
      you'll have to get your recipients to use some sort of Winmail.dat decoder
      - search Google (www.google.com) for one - but they're pretty well fed up
      with you as it is.

      Regards, Len Hargrove