Spell Check in Outlook Express

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2003
      Hi Group,

      The spell checker in Outlook Express version 6 is not working. An error says
      spell check has been halted. MSOE uses the same dictionary as does MS Word.
      Word97 has been working fine for years on my old computer. I'm now using a
      new Pentium IV PC running WinXP Home. I loaded Office97 Pro onto the new PC,
      and all parts of it, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access are working
      fine (including spell check). When this same Office97 Pro was installed on my
      old computer along with MSOE version 6, the spell check in MSOE and in all the
      Office97 applications worked together very well.

      On the Spelling tab within MSOE Tools > Options, all six checkboxes are
      "checkmarked", and I do have "English (United States)" selected in the
      Language window. When I click on Edit custom dictionary, I do see words I
      have added to CUSTOM.DIC from within Word97.

      Does anyone have a suggestion as to why spell check will not work within MSOE?

      Further questions:

      I don't see how I can tell MSOE where the Word97 dictionary file is.

      Office97 Pro was loaded after MSOE. Do you think re-loading MSOE while
      Office97 is already installed would allow MSOE to find the dictionary?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ