[NTO] Re: redirecting email messages

  • Mark B. <breaumark@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
      Brian,

      My apologies. I was replying to Dean in answer to his question
      ("which
      email clients...?") and should have made that clearer. I wasn't
      correcting you.

      Harmless Old Mark

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>
      wrote:

      > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

      > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
      then?

      > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

      > The 2 are not interchangeable.

      > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
      "bounce"

      > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

      > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
      here:

      > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

      > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

      > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
      know

      > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

      > different terminology."

      > Brian.

    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
        Sorry, I didn't want to make that sound harsh. Pocomail is a client I
        used to test things out with.

        It's no one's fault but their own for using that bounce word. I saw you
        reply, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's hard enough for
        people to be on the same page with things, and then Pocomail makes it
        seem like it's a relay or redirect feature. Hopefully they at least
        consider the mail I gave them. The bottom was just quotes from what I
        sent them and wasn't directed at you in a negative way. I didn't mean
        to offend at all.

        wrote:

        > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

        > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
        then?

        > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

        > The 2 are not interchangeable.

        > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
        "bounce"

        > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

        > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
        here:

        > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

        > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

        > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
        know

        > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

        > different terminology."

        > Brian.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        007389:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https:/www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
        p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egrou
        pmail/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=680514243>

      • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
          > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include
          > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature?

          > Thanks.
          >
          > Dean

          Hi Dean, Brian and others,

          I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
          select (a.o.)...

          <quote>
          [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
          <unquote>

          The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
          either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
          have the need to select another recipient.

          Hugo
        • Christine
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
            <LOL> why share it? Are you forgetting that there are programs in there
            other than NTP?
            Actually, thanks for that idea. I need to think more globally rather than
            in such a targeted fashion. I am so far, rather sick of XP, not being able
            to simply whip off what I've been doing and had set up forever with previous
            OS.

            I'll give this a shot. I'll have to see how NTP will let me access
            libraries with only a shortcut.

            Thanks,
            Christine
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
              Hear! Hear!
              As an Exchange Admin, the trouble between Personal Address book, Windows
              Address Book and Contacts has been difficult enough. Then throw in these
              other ways people misuse standard industry lingo and it's very frustrating.
              Particularly when you deal with the legal world and they grab a word and
              think they're in-the-know or on top of things and all they're doing is
              getting weird answers to what they're actually asking.

              Bounce and redirect, autoreply, autoforward, CC and BCC are not the same
              thing -- although I see them used in the same context all too frequently!

              Christine

            • jorigami <jorma.oksanen@aina.fi>
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@f...>" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                > I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                > select (a.o.)...
                >
                > <quote>
                > [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                > <unquote>
                >
                > The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                > either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                > have the need to select another recipient.

                Pegasus also allows you to automate forwarding with filters. There you can specify recipient.

                Jorma
              • Dean Martineau
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                  This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                  had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                  updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                  incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                  that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                  device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                  driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                  doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                  Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                  functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                  programs, recognize the device?

                  Dean
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Dean Martineau wrote:

                    >This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                    >had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                    >updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                    >incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                    >that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                    >device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                    >driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                    >doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                    >Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                    >functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                    >programs, recognize the device?
                    >
                    >Dean

                    Dean,

                    I'm not familiar with either of the software packs you mention.

                    Did CDEX work with this drive (TDK CDRW241040B) before you upgraded the OS?

                    If so, this won't help.

                    If not, the trouble may be with CDEX. I can only assume CDEX works
                    similarly to other burner packages.

                    I had trouble recently with an OEM version of EasyCD, it would recognize
                    the drive as a CD drive but not as a CDRW drive. I had to download an
                    update to OEM EasyCD and also a second update that was apparently and
                    updated Drive list.

                    EasyCD needed the updated Drive list to be able to recognize the newer
                    drive. After installing the new Drive list EasyCD worked flawlessly.

                    You may need to check for a newer version of CDEX and also check to see
                    if it needs an updated Drive list.

                    hrs
                  • Dean Martineau
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                      Unfortunately, all software recognized the drive effortlessly before I
                      upgraded to xp pro.

                      Dean