Re: redirecting email messages

  • Mark B. <breaumark@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
      PocoMail does that, and calls the feature "Bounce."

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Dean Martineau <deamar@s...>
      wrote:

      > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include

      > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc
      include

      > it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill
      and

      > send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say
      you can

      > do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

      > Thanks.

      > Dean
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
        I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

        Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is then?

        http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

        The 2 are not interchangeable.

        FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the "bounce"
        feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little
        more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look here:
        http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

        You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.
        It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people know
        it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in a
        different terminology."

        Brian.

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
          Brian,

          My apologies. I was replying to Dean in answer to his question
          ("which
          email clients...?") and should have made that clearer. I wasn't
          correcting you.

          Harmless Old Mark

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
            Sorry, I didn't want to make that sound harsh. Pocomail is a client I
            used to test things out with.

            It's no one's fault but their own for using that bounce word. I saw you
            reply, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's hard enough for
            people to be on the same page with things, and then Pocomail makes it
            seem like it's a relay or redirect feature. Hopefully they at least
            consider the mail I gave them. The bottom was just quotes from what I
            sent them and wasn't directed at you in a negative way. I didn't mean
            to offend at all.

            wrote:

            > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

            > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
            then?

            > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

            > The 2 are not interchangeable.

            > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
            "bounce"

            > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

            > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
            here:

            > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

            > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

            > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
            know

            > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

            > different terminology."

            > Brian.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            007389:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https:/www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
            p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=680514243>

          • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
              > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include
              > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature?

              > Thanks.
              >
              > Dean

              Hi Dean, Brian and others,

              I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
              select (a.o.)...

              <quote>
              [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
              <unquote>

              The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
              either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
              have the need to select another recipient.

              Hugo
            • Christine
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                <LOL> why share it? Are you forgetting that there are programs in there
                other than NTP?
                Actually, thanks for that idea. I need to think more globally rather than
                in such a targeted fashion. I am so far, rather sick of XP, not being able
                to simply whip off what I've been doing and had set up forever with previous
                OS.

                I'll give this a shot. I'll have to see how NTP will let me access
                libraries with only a shortcut.

                Thanks,
                Christine
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                  Hear! Hear!
                  As an Exchange Admin, the trouble between Personal Address book, Windows
                  Address Book and Contacts has been difficult enough. Then throw in these
                  other ways people misuse standard industry lingo and it's very frustrating.
                  Particularly when you deal with the legal world and they grab a word and
                  think they're in-the-know or on top of things and all they're doing is
                  getting weird answers to what they're actually asking.

                  Bounce and redirect, autoreply, autoforward, CC and BCC are not the same
                  thing -- although I see them used in the same context all too frequently!

                  Christine

                • jorigami <jorma.oksanen@aina.fi>
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@f...>" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                    > I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                    > select (a.o.)...
                    >
                    > <quote>
                    > [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                    > <unquote>
                    >
                    > The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                    > either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                    > have the need to select another recipient.

                    Pegasus also allows you to automate forwarding with filters. There you can specify recipient.

                    Jorma
                  • Dean Martineau
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                      This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                      had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                      updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                      incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                      that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                      device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                      driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                      doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                      Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                      functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                      programs, recognize the device?

                      Dean
                    • hsavage
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                        Dean Martineau wrote:

                        >This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                        >had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                        >updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                        >incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                        >that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                        >device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                        >driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                        >doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                        >Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                        >functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                        >programs, recognize the device?
                        >
                        >Dean

                        Dean,

                        I'm not familiar with either of the software packs you mention.

                        Did CDEX work with this drive (TDK CDRW241040B) before you upgraded the OS?

                        If so, this won't help.

                        If not, the trouble may be with CDEX. I can only assume CDEX works
                        similarly to other burner packages.

                        I had trouble recently with an OEM version of EasyCD, it would recognize
                        the drive as a CD drive but not as a CDRW drive. I had to download an
                        update to OEM EasyCD and also a second update that was apparently and
                        updated Drive list.

                        EasyCD needed the updated Drive list to be able to recognize the newer
                        drive. After installing the new Drive list EasyCD worked flawlessly.

                        You may need to check for a newer version of CDEX and also check to see
                        if it needs an updated Drive list.

                        hrs
                      • Dean Martineau
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                          Unfortunately, all software recognized the drive effortlessly before I
                          upgraded to xp pro.

                          Dean