redirecting email messages

  • Dean Martineau
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
      I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include a
      'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc include
      it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill and
      send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say you can
      do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

      Thanks.

      Dean
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
        I can't say I know exactly what you are talking about, but in Outlook,
        (not Express) you can achieve it via "Tools | Rules Wizard" if you are
        using XP.

        That crazy paperclip guy should be able to walk you right through it.
        If not, I'm sure I can provide more specifcs if you need it.

        This would forward any messages from Bill to Mary if that's your goal.
        Bouncing mail to me is telling the server of the originating message
        that the email address doesn't exist. This is often to help stop SPAM,
        but is a weak method. Redirecting is a different feature, meaning it
        can automatically redirect any emails that Bill sends you to Mary.

        Brian

      • Mark B. <breaumark@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
          PocoMail does that, and calls the feature "Bounce."

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Dean Martineau <deamar@s...>
          wrote:

          > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include

          > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc
          include

          > it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill
          and

          > send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say
          you can

          > do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

          > Thanks.

          > Dean
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
            I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

            Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is then?

            http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

            The 2 are not interchangeable.

            FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the "bounce"
            feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little
            more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look here:
            http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

            You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.
            It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people know
            it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in a
            different terminology."

            Brian.

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
              Brian,

              My apologies. I was replying to Dean in answer to his question
              ("which
              email clients...?") and should have made that clearer. I wasn't
              correcting you.

              Harmless Old Mark

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                Sorry, I didn't want to make that sound harsh. Pocomail is a client I
                used to test things out with.

                It's no one's fault but their own for using that bounce word. I saw you
                reply, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's hard enough for
                people to be on the same page with things, and then Pocomail makes it
                seem like it's a relay or redirect feature. Hopefully they at least
                consider the mail I gave them. The bottom was just quotes from what I
                sent them and wasn't directed at you in a negative way. I didn't mean
                to offend at all.

                wrote:

                > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
                then?

                > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                > The 2 are not interchangeable.

                > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
                "bounce"

                > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

                > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
                here:

                > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

                > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
                know

                > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

                > different terminology."

                > Brian.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                007389:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https:/www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
                p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=680514243>

              • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                  > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include
                  > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature?

                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Dean

                  Hi Dean, Brian and others,

                  I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                  select (a.o.)...

                  <quote>
                  [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                  <unquote>

                  The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                  either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                  have the need to select another recipient.

                  Hugo
                • Christine
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                    <LOL> why share it? Are you forgetting that there are programs in there
                    other than NTP?
                    Actually, thanks for that idea. I need to think more globally rather than
                    in such a targeted fashion. I am so far, rather sick of XP, not being able
                    to simply whip off what I've been doing and had set up forever with previous
                    OS.

                    I'll give this a shot. I'll have to see how NTP will let me access
                    libraries with only a shortcut.

                    Thanks,
                    Christine
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                      Hear! Hear!
                      As an Exchange Admin, the trouble between Personal Address book, Windows
                      Address Book and Contacts has been difficult enough. Then throw in these
                      other ways people misuse standard industry lingo and it's very frustrating.
                      Particularly when you deal with the legal world and they grab a word and
                      think they're in-the-know or on top of things and all they're doing is
                      getting weird answers to what they're actually asking.

                      Bounce and redirect, autoreply, autoforward, CC and BCC are not the same
                      thing -- although I see them used in the same context all too frequently!

                      Christine

                    • jorigami <jorma.oksanen@aina.fi>
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@f...>" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                        > I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                        > select (a.o.)...
                        >
                        > <quote>
                        > [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                        > <unquote>
                        >
                        > The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                        > either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                        > have the need to select another recipient.

                        Pegasus also allows you to automate forwarding with filters. There you can specify recipient.

                        Jorma
                      • Dean Martineau
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                          This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                          had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                          updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                          incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                          that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                          device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                          driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                          doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                          Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                          functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                          programs, recognize the device?

                          Dean
                        • hsavage
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                            Dean Martineau wrote:

                            >This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                            >had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                            >updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                            >incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                            >that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                            >device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                            >driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                            >doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                            >Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                            >functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                            >programs, recognize the device?
                            >
                            >Dean

                            Dean,

                            I'm not familiar with either of the software packs you mention.

                            Did CDEX work with this drive (TDK CDRW241040B) before you upgraded the OS?

                            If so, this won't help.

                            If not, the trouble may be with CDEX. I can only assume CDEX works
                            similarly to other burner packages.

                            I had trouble recently with an OEM version of EasyCD, it would recognize
                            the drive as a CD drive but not as a CDRW drive. I had to download an
                            update to OEM EasyCD and also a second update that was apparently and
                            updated Drive list.

                            EasyCD needed the updated Drive list to be able to recognize the newer
                            drive. After installing the new Drive list EasyCD worked flawlessly.

                            You may need to check for a newer version of CDEX and also check to see
                            if it needs an updated Drive list.

                            hrs
                          • Dean Martineau
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                              Unfortunately, all software recognized the drive effortlessly before I
                              upgraded to xp pro.

                              Dean