RE: [NTO] Moving Libraries and other Directories

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
      Jim,
      I'm talking about the NoteTab folder in Program Files, that contains the
      Libraries. Unfortunately, since once cannot share Program Files, I'm having
      to move that folder elsewhere to access it from other computers.

      XP is turning out to be a serious nightmare for me. I'm considering moving
      everything to CD, wiping my drives clean and starting over.

      Thanks, though,
      Christine
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
        It's not the normal functions that are stopping me. It's the permissions
        things. I'm frustrated as #($)*@#$

        Christine
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
            >As to your question Christine, I'm not certain that I fully understand
            >what you mean when you say Program Files. Are you speaking of system
            files,
            >application files, or the Program Files directory?

            [][] Probably the "Program Files" Directory...which makes me ask, why
            share it? Just share the NoteTab folder instead. Maybe that will help.
            The "Program Files" folder is used by the OS and it hates sharing it. :(

            At any rate, I somewhat try to help, but I don't know that this will do
            it for you...You can make a shortcut on your desktop for the XP
            machine's "Program Files" folder if you'd like.

            By this I mean, make a new shortcut on the desktop of the workstation
            you want to access the "Program Files" folder on the XP machine.

            For target location, enter the path in the following format:

            \\machinename\c$\program files

            Save it and the shortcut on your desktop should look like a folder. If
            you double-click it, you should be taken right into the "Program Files"
            folder on the XP machine.

            Remember, you don't have to share the "Program Files" folder, because C
            is setup as an administrative share, so if you are an admin with the
            right credentials, you can walk right in anyway! Just make sure you
            have a user account with the same password on the XP machine that exists
            on the machine that is trying to access the XP box. Then it won't ask
            for credentials when you connect.

            You can set rights, etc. as needed on the XP machine, but this is
            somewhat of a workaround. [][]

            Brian
          • Dean Martineau
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
              I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include a
              'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc include
              it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill and
              send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say you can
              do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

              Thanks.

              Dean
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                I can't say I know exactly what you are talking about, but in Outlook,
                (not Express) you can achieve it via "Tools | Rules Wizard" if you are
                using XP.

                That crazy paperclip guy should be able to walk you right through it.
                If not, I'm sure I can provide more specifcs if you need it.

                This would forward any messages from Bill to Mary if that's your goal.
                Bouncing mail to me is telling the server of the originating message
                that the email address doesn't exist. This is often to help stop SPAM,
                but is a weak method. Redirecting is a different feature, meaning it
                can automatically redirect any emails that Bill sends you to Mary.

                Brian

              • Mark B. <breaumark@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                  PocoMail does that, and calls the feature "Bounce."

                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Dean Martineau <deamar@s...>
                  wrote:

                  > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include

                  > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc
                  include

                  > it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill
                  and

                  > send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say
                  you can

                  > do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

                  > Thanks.

                  > Dean
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                    I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                    Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is then?

                    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                    The 2 are not interchangeable.

                    FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the "bounce"
                    feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little
                    more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look here:
                    http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                    You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.
                    It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people know
                    it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in a
                    different terminology."

                    Brian.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                      Brian,

                      My apologies. I was replying to Dean in answer to his question
                      ("which
                      email clients...?") and should have made that clearer. I wasn't
                      correcting you.

                      Harmless Old Mark

                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                        Sorry, I didn't want to make that sound harsh. Pocomail is a client I
                        used to test things out with.

                        It's no one's fault but their own for using that bounce word. I saw you
                        reply, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's hard enough for
                        people to be on the same page with things, and then Pocomail makes it
                        seem like it's a relay or redirect feature. Hopefully they at least
                        consider the mail I gave them. The bottom was just quotes from what I
                        sent them and wasn't directed at you in a negative way. I didn't mean
                        to offend at all.

                        wrote:

                        > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                        > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
                        then?

                        > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                        > The 2 are not interchangeable.

                        > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
                        "bounce"

                        > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

                        > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
                        here:

                        > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                        > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

                        > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
                        know

                        > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

                        > different terminology."

                        > Brian.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        007389:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https:/www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
                        p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egrou
                        pmail/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=680514243>

                      • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                          > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include
                          > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature?

                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Dean

                          Hi Dean, Brian and others,

                          I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                          select (a.o.)...

                          <quote>
                          [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                          <unquote>

                          The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                          either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                          have the need to select another recipient.

                          Hugo
                        • Christine
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                            <LOL> why share it? Are you forgetting that there are programs in there
                            other than NTP?
                            Actually, thanks for that idea. I need to think more globally rather than
                            in such a targeted fashion. I am so far, rather sick of XP, not being able
                            to simply whip off what I've been doing and had set up forever with previous
                            OS.

                            I'll give this a shot. I'll have to see how NTP will let me access
                            libraries with only a shortcut.

                            Thanks,
                            Christine

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                              Hear! Hear!
                              As an Exchange Admin, the trouble between Personal Address book, Windows
                              Address Book and Contacts has been difficult enough. Then throw in these
                              other ways people misuse standard industry lingo and it's very frustrating.
                              Particularly when you deal with the legal world and they grab a word and
                              think they're in-the-know or on top of things and all they're doing is
                              getting weird answers to what they're actually asking.

                              Bounce and redirect, autoreply, autoforward, CC and BCC are not the same
                              thing -- although I see them used in the same context all too frequently!

                              Christine

                            • jorigami <jorma.oksanen@aina.fi>
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@f...>" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                                > I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                                > select (a.o.)...
                                >
                                > <quote>
                                > [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                                > <unquote>
                                >
                                > The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                                > either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                                > have the need to select another recipient.

                                Pegasus also allows you to automate forwarding with filters. There you can specify recipient.

                                Jorma
                              • Dean Martineau
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                  This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                                  had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                                  updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                                  incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                                  that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                                  device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                                  driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                                  doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                                  Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                                  functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                                  programs, recognize the device?

                                  Dean
                                • hsavage
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                    Dean Martineau wrote:

                                    >This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                                    >had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                                    >updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                                    >incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                                    >that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                                    >device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                                    >driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                                    >doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                                    >Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                                    >functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                                    >programs, recognize the device?
                                    >
                                    >Dean

                                    Dean,

                                    I'm not familiar with either of the software packs you mention.

                                    Did CDEX work with this drive (TDK CDRW241040B) before you upgraded the OS?

                                    If so, this won't help.

                                    If not, the trouble may be with CDEX. I can only assume CDEX works
                                    similarly to other burner packages.

                                    I had trouble recently with an OEM version of EasyCD, it would recognize
                                    the drive as a CD drive but not as a CDRW drive. I had to download an
                                    update to OEM EasyCD and also a second update that was apparently and
                                    updated Drive list.

                                    EasyCD needed the updated Drive list to be able to recognize the newer
                                    drive. After installing the new Drive list EasyCD worked flawlessly.

                                    You may need to check for a newer version of CDEX and also check to see
                                    if it needs an updated Drive list.

                                    hrs
                                  • Dean Martineau
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                      Unfortunately, all software recognized the drive effortlessly before I
                                      upgraded to xp pro.

                                      Dean