RE: [NTO] the wonders of xp

  • Dean Martineau
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
      How do you know if the ASPI drivers installed successfully? There was no
      message at all.

      Dean
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
        Download the Updates and check utility here:

        http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no
        <http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&lang
        uage=English+US&filekey=aspi_v471.exe>
        &language=English+US&filekey=aspi_v471.exe

        When you download it, there's an ASPIchk utility that looks to see if it
        was installed correctly.

        Note that changing the DMA is a MUST for a CD burner.

        I don't know of any new burner that isn't DMA, and it'll increase the
        burn speed.

        B.

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
          Jim,
          I'm talking about the NoteTab folder in Program Files, that contains the
          Libraries. Unfortunately, since once cannot share Program Files, I'm having
          to move that folder elsewhere to access it from other computers.

          XP is turning out to be a serious nightmare for me. I'm considering moving
          everything to CD, wiping my drives clean and starting over.

          Thanks, though,
          Christine
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
            It's not the normal functions that are stopping me. It's the permissions
            things. I'm frustrated as #($)*@#$

            Christine
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                >As to your question Christine, I'm not certain that I fully understand
                >what you mean when you say Program Files. Are you speaking of system
                files,
                >application files, or the Program Files directory?

                [][] Probably the "Program Files" Directory...which makes me ask, why
                share it? Just share the NoteTab folder instead. Maybe that will help.
                The "Program Files" folder is used by the OS and it hates sharing it. :(

                At any rate, I somewhat try to help, but I don't know that this will do
                it for you...You can make a shortcut on your desktop for the XP
                machine's "Program Files" folder if you'd like.

                By this I mean, make a new shortcut on the desktop of the workstation
                you want to access the "Program Files" folder on the XP machine.

                For target location, enter the path in the following format:

                \\machinename\c$\program files

                Save it and the shortcut on your desktop should look like a folder. If
                you double-click it, you should be taken right into the "Program Files"
                folder on the XP machine.

                Remember, you don't have to share the "Program Files" folder, because C
                is setup as an administrative share, so if you are an admin with the
                right credentials, you can walk right in anyway! Just make sure you
                have a user account with the same password on the XP machine that exists
                on the machine that is trying to access the XP box. Then it won't ask
                for credentials when you connect.

                You can set rights, etc. as needed on the XP machine, but this is
                somewhat of a workaround. [][]

                Brian
              • Dean Martineau
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                  I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include a
                  'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc include
                  it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill and
                  send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say you can
                  do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

                  Thanks.

                  Dean
                • Brian Binder
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                    I can't say I know exactly what you are talking about, but in Outlook,
                    (not Express) you can achieve it via "Tools | Rules Wizard" if you are
                    using XP.

                    That crazy paperclip guy should be able to walk you right through it.
                    If not, I'm sure I can provide more specifcs if you need it.

                    This would forward any messages from Bill to Mary if that's your goal.
                    Bouncing mail to me is telling the server of the originating message
                    that the email address doesn't exist. This is often to help stop SPAM,
                    but is a weak method. Redirecting is a different feature, meaning it
                    can automatically redirect any emails that Bill sends you to Mary.

                    Brian

                  • Mark B. <breaumark@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                      PocoMail does that, and calls the feature "Bounce."

                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Dean Martineau <deamar@s...>
                      wrote:

                      > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include

                      > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc
                      include

                      > it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill
                      and

                      > send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say
                      you can

                      > do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

                      > Thanks.

                      > Dean
                    • Brian Binder
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                        I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                        Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is then?

                        http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                        The 2 are not interchangeable.

                        FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the "bounce"
                        feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little
                        more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look here:
                        http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                        You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.
                        It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people know
                        it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in a
                        different terminology."

                        Brian.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                          Brian,

                          My apologies. I was replying to Dean in answer to his question
                          ("which
                          email clients...?") and should have made that clearer. I wasn't
                          correcting you.

                          Harmless Old Mark

                          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>

                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                            Sorry, I didn't want to make that sound harsh. Pocomail is a client I
                            used to test things out with.

                            It's no one's fault but their own for using that bounce word. I saw you
                            reply, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's hard enough for
                            people to be on the same page with things, and then Pocomail makes it
                            seem like it's a relay or redirect feature. Hopefully they at least
                            consider the mail I gave them. The bottom was just quotes from what I
                            sent them and wasn't directed at you in a negative way. I didn't mean
                            to offend at all.

                            wrote:

                            > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                            > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
                            then?

                            > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                            > The 2 are not interchangeable.

                            > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
                            "bounce"

                            > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

                            > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
                            here:

                            > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                            > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

                            > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
                            know

                            > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

                            > different terminology."

                            > Brian.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                            007389:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https:/www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
                            p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egrou
                            pmail/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=680514243>

                          • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                              > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include
                              > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature?

                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > Dean

                              Hi Dean, Brian and others,

                              I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                              select (a.o.)...

                              <quote>
                              [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                              <unquote>

                              The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                              either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                              have the need to select another recipient.

                              Hugo
                            • Christine
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                <LOL> why share it? Are you forgetting that there are programs in there
                                other than NTP?
                                Actually, thanks for that idea. I need to think more globally rather than
                                in such a targeted fashion. I am so far, rather sick of XP, not being able
                                to simply whip off what I've been doing and had set up forever with previous
                                OS.

                                I'll give this a shot. I'll have to see how NTP will let me access
                                libraries with only a shortcut.

                                Thanks,
                                Christine

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                  Hear! Hear!
                                  As an Exchange Admin, the trouble between Personal Address book, Windows
                                  Address Book and Contacts has been difficult enough. Then throw in these
                                  other ways people misuse standard industry lingo and it's very frustrating.
                                  Particularly when you deal with the legal world and they grab a word and
                                  think they're in-the-know or on top of things and all they're doing is
                                  getting weird answers to what they're actually asking.

                                  Bounce and redirect, autoreply, autoforward, CC and BCC are not the same
                                  thing -- although I see them used in the same context all too frequently!

                                  Christine

                                • jorigami <jorma.oksanen@aina.fi>
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@f...>" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                                    > I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                                    > select (a.o.)...
                                    >
                                    > <quote>
                                    > [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                                    > <unquote>
                                    >
                                    > The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                                    > either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                                    > have the need to select another recipient.

                                    Pegasus also allows you to automate forwarding with filters. There you can specify recipient.

                                    Jorma
                                  • Dean Martineau
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                      This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                                      had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                                      updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                                      incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                                      that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                                      device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                                      driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                                      doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                                      Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                                      functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                                      programs, recognize the device?

                                      Dean
                                    • hsavage
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                        Dean Martineau wrote:

                                        >This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                                        >had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                                        >updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                                        >incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                                        >that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                                        >device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                                        >driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                                        >doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                                        >Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                                        >functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                                        >programs, recognize the device?
                                        >
                                        >Dean

                                        Dean,

                                        I'm not familiar with either of the software packs you mention.

                                        Did CDEX work with this drive (TDK CDRW241040B) before you upgraded the OS?

                                        If so, this won't help.

                                        If not, the trouble may be with CDEX. I can only assume CDEX works
                                        similarly to other burner packages.

                                        I had trouble recently with an OEM version of EasyCD, it would recognize
                                        the drive as a CD drive but not as a CDRW drive. I had to download an
                                        update to OEM EasyCD and also a second update that was apparently and
                                        updated Drive list.

                                        EasyCD needed the updated Drive list to be able to recognize the newer
                                        drive. After installing the new Drive list EasyCD worked flawlessly.

                                        You may need to check for a newer version of CDEX and also check to see
                                        if it needs an updated Drive list.

                                        hrs
                                      • Dean Martineau
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                          Unfortunately, all software recognized the drive effortlessly before I
                                          upgraded to xp pro.

                                          Dean