Re: [NTO] Moving Libraries and other Directories

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi Christine,

      I don't remember if this was answered. You should not have any
      problems though except if you copy the files to a CD. They will
      most likely get marked Read-only. If that happens and I think
      you can count on it, get my latest DirStuff and look for the Clip
      to Remove Read-Only... There is a Clip to do any of the
      attributes as well as list the current settings. They are right
      above the "Specials" section which is highlighted.

      http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
      http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

      >I just did a really stupid thing. When reinstalling W2K, I
      >grabbed my XP Pro disk and upgraded my system. "Upgrade" my
      >ever-round bummy! Although I'm really a Microsoft fan, XP has me
      >roiled up. Among other so-called "security" enhancements, I
      >can't share Program Files because "the operating system uses it."
      >
      >So..... before I go and move my libraries and import them all, I
      >wanted to ask if anyone has any issues with this? I haven't
      >upgraded to the newest version yet, so I'm still on 4.9 Pro.

    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
        Christine & Jody

        At 07:15 PM 2/3/2003 -0600, you wrote:
        >Hi Christine,
        >
        >I don't remember if this was answered. You should not have any
        >problems though except if you copy the files to a CD. They will
        >most likely get marked Read-only. If that happens and I think
        >you can count on it, get my latest DirStuff and look for the Clip
        >to Remove Read-Only... There is a Clip to do any of the
        >attributes as well as list the current settings. They are right
        >above the "Specials" section which is highlighted.

        You needn't worry about that, XP does not make them read only when you copy them from a CD to the Hard drive.

        As to your question Christine, I'm not certain that I fully understand what you mean when you say Program Files. Are you speaking of system files, application files, or the Program Files directory?

        In any case, I run my NoteTab from within the Win XP Program Files Directory and have absolutely no problems doing so. I either launch NTP from the Quick Launch bar or by association and Notepad is replaced by NoteTab on my system so any system call for Notepad brings up NoteTab - just like the book says :-).

        You should be able to do anything in NTP with XP that you can do in 2K only better.

        Hang in there with XP, once you learn it you will love it.

        Jim

        >http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
        >http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip
        >
        >>I just did a really stupid thing. When reinstalling W2K, I
        >>grabbed my XP Pro disk and upgraded my system. "Upgrade" my
        >>ever-round bummy! Although I'm really a Microsoft fan, XP has me
        >>roiled up. Among other so-called "security" enhancements, I
        >>can't share Program Files because "the operating system uses it."
        >>
        >>So..... before I go and move my libraries and import them all, I
        >>wanted to ask if anyone has any issues with this? I haven't
        >>upgraded to the newest version yet, so I'm still on 4.9 Pro.
        >

        >Happy Topics,
        >Jody
        >
        >The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        >mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
          Christine,

          Just an after thought.

          I started testing NTP on XP for Eric well over a year ago and after learning how to defeat the Windows File Protection scheme I can honestly say that it has performed flawlessly in every respect. I have not had a single problem with NTP on XP.

          There are times when files are locked and unavailable or can't be saved because they are being used by other applications, but that is not a problem with either NTP, or XP per se. It is initiated by the application.

          Also, for example XP will not always let you delete a directory when a file in that directory or rename a file that is open in NTP or other applications but common sense says that you shouldn't want to (even if you really do want to) until you finish working with the file and close it.

          I regularly modify files that I have open in NTP with another application and NTP is aware that a change has occurred and simply asks if I want to reload the newer version into NTP and gives me the option to do so or not. This applies as well when a single file is open in NTP on 2 or more computers on a network.

          Regards,

          Jim
        • Dean Martineau
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
            Jim's comments on the wonders of xp prompt me to ask a few questions. I
            just upgraded to xp pro. The system has 256 mb RAM. I do use a
            resource-hog screen reader program, so that could explain one of my
            problems, but I have two.

            1. The system is more sluggish than under ME. One example, when I delete
            a message in Eudora, it takes longer for the messager list to refresh. Any
            tips for improving overall speed and responsiveness would be greatly
            appreciated.

            2. I used to use CDex to rip cd's. Now under xp I'm told I need an ASPI
            driver. So I went and got one from Adaptec's site and followed
            installation instructions. Nothing changed: I still get the same error
            message from CDex. Can anybody shed any light on this?

            Thanks in advance.

            Dean
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
              Dean,

              At 06:12 PM 2/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:
              >Jim's comments on the wonders of xp prompt me to ask a few questions. I
              >just upgraded to xp pro. The system has 256 mb RAM. I do use a
              >resource-hog screen reader program, so that could explain one of my
              >problems, but I have two.
              >
              >1. The system is more sluggish than under ME. One example, when I delete
              >a message in Eudora, it takes longer for the messager list to refresh. Any
              >tips for improving overall speed and responsiveness would be greatly
              >appreciated.

              I am experiencing similar performance with Eudora but the problem is not XP per se, it has to do with how EZ Antivirus works with XP as opposed to 98 and for me, the effects are most noticeable in Eudora. If I turn off my AV, then Eudora is faster than ever. With the AV on, Eudora is slow. If you are running an AV, you might check it to see if you get similar results. In general AV will slow everything down - just the price we have to pay to feel secure.

              >2. I used to use CDex to rip cd's. Now under xp I'm told I need an ASPI
              >driver. So I went and got one from Adaptec's site and followed
              >installation instructions. Nothing changed: I still get the same error
              >message from CDex. Can anybody shed any light on this?

              I'm running SmartRipper to rip DVD's and it too reports that I could get and use an ASPI from Adaptec. I haven't done so yet but can still rip DVD's without it.

              I can't answer your specific questions but hopefully this iota of data will help somehow.

              Regards,

              Jim
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
                Did the ASPI layer install correctly?

                When you run Adaptec's ASPI checker, does it show that the layer is
                installed correctly? Just curious.

                The other thing that helps with CD Burning that people don't know about
                is this.

                Try it out and let me know. [Below]

                Get to your Desktop and then Right-Click on the "My Computer" icon.

                Choose "Properties"

                Go to the "Hardware" tab and then hit the "Device Manager" button.

                Go to the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section and hit the plus sign.

                Choose whatever controller the CDROM drive is installed on. Go to the
                Properties page by right-clicking it and choosing "Properties" and then
                choose the "Advanced Settings" tab.

                Make sure "Transfer Mode" says "DMA if Available". If either controller
                says PIO only, I would change all instanced on the primary and secondary
                controllers.

                You should see a difference when burning CD's.

                I've never had bad side effects from this. Works nice on every system I
                try it on.

                Brian

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
                  How do you know if the ASPI drivers installed successfully? There was no
                  message at all.

                  Dean
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
                    Hi Jim,

                    >> They will most likely get marked Read-only. If that happens
                    >> and I think you can count on it,
                    >
                    >You needn't worry about that, XP does not make them read only
                    >when you copy them from a CD to the Hard drive.

                    ...and that is why you make the big bucks! :) Thanks for the correction!

                    bye4now,
                    jody

                    and even thou doest err some!

                    http://www.clean-funnies.com
                    http://www.notetab.net
                    http://www.purewords.org

                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Download the Updates and check utility here:

                      http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no
                      <http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&lang
                      uage=English+US&filekey=aspi_v471.exe>
                      &language=English+US&filekey=aspi_v471.exe

                      When you download it, there's an ASPIchk utility that looks to see if it
                      was installed correctly.

                      Note that changing the DMA is a MUST for a CD burner.

                      I don't know of any new burner that isn't DMA, and it'll increase the
                      burn speed.

                      B.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                        Jim,
                        I'm talking about the NoteTab folder in Program Files, that contains the
                        Libraries. Unfortunately, since once cannot share Program Files, I'm having
                        to move that folder elsewhere to access it from other computers.

                        XP is turning out to be a serious nightmare for me. I'm considering moving
                        everything to CD, wiping my drives clean and starting over.

                        Thanks, though,

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                          It's not the normal functions that are stopping me. It's the permissions
                          things. I'm frustrated as #($)*@#$

                          Christine

                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                            Jim's comments on the wonders of xp prompt me to ask a few questions. I

                            just upgraded to xp pro. The system has 256 mb RAM. I do use a
                            resource-hog screen reader program, so that could explain one of my
                            problems, but I have two.

                            |RAM upgrades these days are still pretty cheap. I would
                            recommend getting more memory in the system.

                            |I'm not saying it's your problem, but it will help.

                            1. The system is more sluggish than under ME. One example, when I
                            delete
                            a message in Eudora, it takes longer for the messager list to refresh.
                            Any
                            tips for improving overall speed and responsiveness would be greatly
                            appreciated.

                            |Have you tried a defragmentation package? If you don't
                            want to buy one, go to diskeeper.com and download

                            |The free version of diskeeper for your system. They made
                            the one in XP, but it's so weak. Get the better

                            |Version from them and use it. If you don't pay for it, you
                            obviously don't get all the benefits.

                            |I resell the software, but trust me, that's not why I
                            recommend it. Remember, I resell Norton as well; but

                            |maybe not for long! :P

                            |I have yet to find a program that beats it, like O&O, or
                            Raxco PerfectDisk. They simply cannot compare to

                            |the speed factor if Diskeeper.

                            |Brian

                          • Brian Binder
                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                              >As to your question Christine, I'm not certain that I fully understand
                              >what you mean when you say Program Files. Are you speaking of system
                              files,
                              >application files, or the Program Files directory?

                              [][] Probably the "Program Files" Directory...which makes me ask, why
                              share it? Just share the NoteTab folder instead. Maybe that will help.
                              The "Program Files" folder is used by the OS and it hates sharing it. :(

                              At any rate, I somewhat try to help, but I don't know that this will do
                              it for you...You can make a shortcut on your desktop for the XP
                              machine's "Program Files" folder if you'd like.

                              By this I mean, make a new shortcut on the desktop of the workstation
                              you want to access the "Program Files" folder on the XP machine.

                              For target location, enter the path in the following format:

                              \\machinename\c$\program files

                              Save it and the shortcut on your desktop should look like a folder. If
                              you double-click it, you should be taken right into the "Program Files"
                              folder on the XP machine.

                              Remember, you don't have to share the "Program Files" folder, because C
                              is setup as an administrative share, so if you are an admin with the
                              right credentials, you can walk right in anyway! Just make sure you
                              have a user account with the same password on the XP machine that exists
                              on the machine that is trying to access the XP box. Then it won't ask
                              for credentials when you connect.

                              You can set rights, etc. as needed on the XP machine, but this is
                              somewhat of a workaround. [][]

                              Brian
                            • Dean Martineau
                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include a
                                'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc include
                                it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill and
                                send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say you can
                                do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

                                Thanks.

                                Dean
                              • Brian Binder
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                  I can't say I know exactly what you are talking about, but in Outlook,
                                  (not Express) you can achieve it via "Tools | Rules Wizard" if you are
                                  using XP.

                                  That crazy paperclip guy should be able to walk you right through it.
                                  If not, I'm sure I can provide more specifcs if you need it.

                                  This would forward any messages from Bill to Mary if that's your goal.
                                  Bouncing mail to me is telling the server of the originating message
                                  that the email address doesn't exist. This is often to help stop SPAM,
                                  but is a weak method. Redirecting is a different feature, meaning it
                                  can automatically redirect any emails that Bill sends you to Mary.

                                  Brian

                                • Mark B. <breaumark@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                    PocoMail does that, and calls the feature "Bounce."

                                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Dean Martineau <deamar@s...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include

                                    > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature? Do any email clients for pocket pc
                                    include

                                    > it? With this feature, I can take a message sent to Dean from Bill
                                    and

                                    > send it to Mary so that Mary sees that it came from Bill. Some say
                                    you can

                                    > do this with Outlook, but I can't figure out how to achieve it.

                                    > Thanks.

                                    > Dean
                                  • Brian Binder
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                      I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                                      Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is then?

                                      http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                                      The 2 are not interchangeable.

                                      FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the "bounce"
                                      feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little
                                      more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look here:
                                      http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                                      You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.
                                      It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people know
                                      it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in a
                                      different terminology."

                                      Brian.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                        Brian,

                                        My apologies. I was replying to Dean in answer to his question
                                        ("which
                                        email clients...?") and should have made that clearer. I wasn't
                                        correcting you.

                                        Harmless Old Mark

                                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                          Sorry, I didn't want to make that sound harsh. Pocomail is a client I
                                          used to test things out with.

                                          It's no one's fault but their own for using that bounce word. I saw you
                                          reply, but just wanted to throw that out there. It's hard enough for
                                          people to be on the same page with things, and then Pocomail makes it
                                          seem like it's a relay or redirect feature. Hopefully they at least
                                          consider the mail I gave them. The bottom was just quotes from what I
                                          sent them and wasn't directed at you in a negative way. I didn't mean
                                          to offend at all.

                                          wrote:

                                          > I don't disagree, but "Pocomail" needs to learn their lingo then.

                                          > Tell me what the difference between bouncing and redirecting is
                                          then?

                                          > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                                          > The 2 are not interchangeable.

                                          > FYI: I emailed them, not like they will care - "You have the
                                          "bounce"

                                          > feature in your mail client. Don't you think "redirect" is a little

                                          > more appropriate? Bouncing an email is totally different. Look
                                          here:

                                          > http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/BouncedEmail.asp

                                          > You seem to confuse people a bit. I would reword it if I were you.

                                          > It's not like "bounce" has an "industry-standard", but most people
                                          know

                                          > it as bouncing SPAM. I think you confuse people when you use it in

                                          > different terminology."

                                          > Brian.

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                                          007389:HM/A=1341247/R=0/*https:/www.gotomypc.com/tr/yh/grp/300_mapG/g22l
                                          p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

                                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=233351.2876045.4223503.2848452/D=egrou
                                          pmail/S=:HM/A=1341247/rand=680514243>

                                        • hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@facburfdcw.u
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 4, 2003
                                            > I'm wondering: which email clients, in addition to Eudora, include
                                            > 'bounce' or 'redirect' feature?

                                            > Thanks.
                                            >
                                            > Dean

                                            Hi Dean, Brian and others,

                                            I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                                            select (a.o.)...

                                            <quote>
                                            [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                                            <unquote>

                                            The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                                            either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                                            have the need to select another recipient.

                                            Hugo
                                          • Christine
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                              <LOL> why share it? Are you forgetting that there are programs in there
                                              other than NTP?
                                              Actually, thanks for that idea. I need to think more globally rather than
                                              in such a targeted fashion. I am so far, rather sick of XP, not being able
                                              to simply whip off what I've been doing and had set up forever with previous
                                              OS.

                                              I'll give this a shot. I'll have to see how NTP will let me access
                                              libraries with only a shortcut.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Christine

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                                Hear! Hear!
                                                As an Exchange Admin, the trouble between Personal Address book, Windows
                                                Address Book and Contacts has been difficult enough. Then throw in these
                                                other ways people misuse standard industry lingo and it's very frustrating.
                                                Particularly when you deal with the legal world and they grab a word and
                                                think they're in-the-know or on top of things and all they're doing is
                                                getting weird answers to what they're actually asking.

                                                Bounce and redirect, autoreply, autoforward, CC and BCC are not the same
                                                thing -- although I see them used in the same context all too frequently!

                                                Christine

                                              • jorigami <jorma.oksanen@aina.fi>
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Feb 5, 2003
                                                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen <h.paulissen@f...>" <h.paulissen@f...> wrote:
                                                  > I just took a look at Pegasus. If you forward a message you can
                                                  > select (a.o.)...
                                                  >
                                                  > <quote>
                                                  > [ ] Forward the messages without editing (redirect, or "bounce")
                                                  > <unquote>
                                                  >
                                                  > The word OR here implies (I think) that there are two alternatives:
                                                  > either redirect or bounce. (www.pmail.com - free). Yet, you still
                                                  > have the need to select another recipient.

                                                  Pegasus also allows you to automate forwarding with filters. There you can specify recipient.

                                                  Jorma
                                                • Dean Martineau
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                                    This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                                                    had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                                                    updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                                                    incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                                                    that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                                                    device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                                                    driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                                                    doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                                                    Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                                                    functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                                                    programs, recognize the device?

                                                    Dean
                                                  • hsavage
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                                      Dean Martineau wrote:

                                                      >This is a follow-up to a question I asked the other day. At that time, I
                                                      >had just installed xp, and CDex, a good free cd ripping program, needed
                                                      >updated ASPI drivers to work. Following advice from Brian, I fixed my
                                                      >incomplete ASPI driver installation. Now CDex no longer complains about
                                                      >that, it simply doesn't find my cd burner, a TDK CDRW241040B, a modern
                                                      >device. Windows says it's functioning properly and is using the best
                                                      >driver it knows of. windows Media Player can read files from it but
                                                      >doesn't see it as a burner, and Goldwave can do neither. However, Sound
                                                      >Forge and Nero recognize it with no problems. I like some of the
                                                      >functionality of CDex, so how can I help this, and perhaps the other
                                                      >programs, recognize the device?
                                                      >
                                                      >Dean

                                                      Dean,

                                                      I'm not familiar with either of the software packs you mention.

                                                      Did CDEX work with this drive (TDK CDRW241040B) before you upgraded the OS?

                                                      If so, this won't help.

                                                      If not, the trouble may be with CDEX. I can only assume CDEX works
                                                      similarly to other burner packages.

                                                      I had trouble recently with an OEM version of EasyCD, it would recognize
                                                      the drive as a CD drive but not as a CDRW drive. I had to download an
                                                      update to OEM EasyCD and also a second update that was apparently and
                                                      updated Drive list.

                                                      EasyCD needed the updated Drive list to be able to recognize the newer
                                                      drive. After installing the new Drive list EasyCD worked flawlessly.

                                                      You may need to check for a newer version of CDEX and also check to see
                                                      if it needs an updated Drive list.

                                                      hrs
                                                    • Dean Martineau
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Feb 7, 2003
                                                        Unfortunately, all software recognized the drive effortlessly before I
                                                        upgraded to xp pro.

                                                        Dean