RE: [NTO] Does anyone know how to prove a wrong number was dialed by the ISP??

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
      I probably didn't follow 100%, but I can say that I used to have a
      second line on my phone and I stopped it from being able to dial out
      long distance numbers.

      I did have this happen and it only was for 200 dollars, but I called my
      phone company and they said no problem and took it off the bill.

      I don't know if yours will be that understanding, but mine was cool with
      it.

      Brian

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003
        Hi Bill,

        Boy, do I feel sorry for you! I'm sure you will be stonewalled
        by the phone company. I presume Pac Bell is your long distance
        carrier and you have a local phone company that you dial into.

        Maybe you can determine who was called and from where. That might
        be a clue to what went wrong. Was this an internet connection
        or a voice phone call? Was it a credit card call? If there is
        no modem on the other end, and the line is used exclusively for
        internet use, this might be some evidence you can use.

        I once had charges on my phone to the Ivory Coast in Africa, and
        my long distance carrier, (AT&T) said that the calls were placed
        from NY and NJ. To their credit, they immediately and willingly
        took the charges off because I was in California. I was lucky.

        Sorry I can't be more helpful.

        DA

        Bill Scott wrote:
        > I need some help I just got a phone bill for $1500 for a connection I
        > did not make from my dialup properties list. When I called my ISP
        > they said it could not be them because they have special software
        > that would not allow a roll over when I called the Pacific Bell they
        > said it was the phone company. And the burden of proof is on me if
        > I go to the fcc I have to put the amount in escrow with them until it
        > is settled. If I can prove that I did not make the call from my
        > computer they will remove the charges and bill the ISP ... does
        > anyone have any suggestions ??
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2003

          >Hi Bill,
          >
          >Maybe you can determine who was called and from where.
          >
          >Bill Scott wrote:
          >

          >>I need some help I just got a phone bill for $1500 for a connection
          >>
          >>I called the Pacific Bell they
          >>said it was the phone company. And the burden of proof is on me if
          >>I go to the fcc I have to put the amount in escrow with them until it
          >>is settled. If I can prove that I did not make the call from my
          >>computer they will remove the charges and bill the ISP ... does
          >>anyone have any suggestions ??

          There should be an itemized list of calls made on your phone bill, if
          not the phone company may furnish a list.

          If the numbers match or don't match you'll have a starting point to
          begin your investigation.

          If you deny a call, or calls, the phone company should investigate, or,
          at least, they always did in my experience. I retired from GTE before
          it became Verizon so I've seen a few cases.

          If none of this works for you might check to see if there is a Consumers
          Advocacy Group in your area.

          hrs
        • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
            Hi:

            I guess I will try a consumer advocate can't afford a lawyer .... I
            was very careful to make sure the number I dialed was local and I
            still got caught ... I was hoping someone might know where the log
            files for the modem might be .....

            Bill Scott
            Bill Scott
            24655 Foster Road
            Corning, California 96021
            800-510-5961

            John 14:6

            Praise God from whom all blessings flow ....
            On Christ the Solid Rock I stand ...
          • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
              Bill,

              The modem log, at least through Windows 98SE, is at:

              Control Panel\Modem\General\Properties\Connection\Advanced\View
              Log

              Unfortunately, if "Append to log" is not checked, no history
              is retained.

              Hope this is of some help to you.

              Regards,
              Christopher J. Spilker
              mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
            • bscott@stockdogsaction.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 11, 2003
                Thanks Christopher but the log does not show which phone number
                it dialed ... so it appears that I have no prove ... the phone
                company is not willing to even listen to any wrong number on
                dialup numbers ... My ISP is being careful not to commit also ...
                wish I was dealing with christian people who try to treat you like
                they would be like to be treated ... oh well ... all things work
                together for good.

                Bill
                Bill Scott
                24655 Foster Road
                Corning, California 96021
                800-510-5961

                John 14:6

              • acummingsus <acumming@cwnet.com>
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 12, 2003
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Scott" <bscott@s...> wrote:
                  > Hi All:
                  >
                  > I need some help I just got a phone bill for $1500 for a connection
                  > did not make from my dialup properties list.

                  I'd be curious which ISP and is it nation wide etc. (don't disclose
                  unless you're comfortable at doing so)

                  Also, how was it determined that the phone service charges involved
                  you and your ISP.

                  This is the first time I've ever heard of a reference to a number an
                  ISP dialed being billed to that ISP's customer.

                  Normally how it works is that your computer dials another computer
                  and you have a connection between your computer and the number that
                  your computer dialed. For the ISP to connect you to a number other
                  than your dialed number, the ISP would either need to have a
                  telephone switching device or perhaps special software as you had
                  mentioned.

                  If your ISP nation wide and you installed onto your computer with
                  their cd disk then possibility exists that somewhere on your 'puter's
                  hard drive is a list of phone numbers, some local and some not local
                  (but often is not on your HD, they have it on www instead). But
                  there would been a selection process where you choose only local
                  number(s) to dial. Chances are slim and none but if something on
                  your 'puter got corrupt for it dial long distance to your ISP say on
                  east coast if you on west coast.

                  Find out if the dialed number is a valid number for your ISP. Or,
                  perhaps you already know that and it's the reason you posted.

                  Good luck.